What is 'Salongeek'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED STAR

Reaction score
What kind of title is that you may ask........
We all know what Salongeek is....it's the largest on line community for the salon professional!
But is it?
Increasingly, the 'discussions' seem to be more towards;
'I'm thinking of giving up my high flying city job, and 'doing nails' P/T - how long before I match my salary.....!
'How easy is it to get trained .......'
'Can I set up in my kitchen/bedroom/bathroom........'
'Why do I not have any client's....'
'How do I do a colour correction....?

I know I will probably ruffle a few feather for this post, but really.....
Train well folks....and be professional......
We all started somewhere...that is NOT my issue.

Inquiries about the best training - not the quickest/easiest
Advice about best way's to promote your business...tried and tested...not 'Where is everybody, I've been open 2 weeks!'
'How can I convert a spare room/garage/outbuilding'....as opposed to 'can I use a communal kitchen to carry out an intimate wax?
'Can any one recommend a good colouring course....?' NOT....I'm on a home visit, 2 tubes of tint in my bag....and she wants a colour correction....!'

I've mocked a little, but does any one agree that this 'anyone can do' impression is what is damaging our industry.

I know I'm jaded, I've been here far too long for my own good I think, but it drives me insane with the same questions over and over again :mad: Read the posts first people!!!

I believe the internet/social media has made information more accessible but less credible. The amount of times I read a post along the lines of 'I've watched loads of YouTube videos on how to french/blend/ombre/one-stroke/whatever but I can't do it can someone help' - well I've binged watched 13 series of Greys Anatomy it doesn't make me a brain surgeon does it!!!???

With regard to information credibility, when I trained there was one main source of information, the training course be it college or independent supplier and within reason they taught the same information so everyone had roughly the same level of 'credible factual' information. (yes some courses were better than others but you get what I mean). Now with the internet and forums, etc. that factual information becomes heavily diluted by opinion or DIYers and loses it's value. For instance the 'greenie' - those well trained will tell you all the facts about a greenie including it's proper technicial term, what should and shouldn't be done and how to deal with it....then someone will come along and declare it's a 'fungal infection' or 'water mold' or some other rubbish. The person then asking the question is left no better off than before as they get so much information, much of it based in opinion rather than fact that they don't know what to believe. I get that people make mistakes and are learning all the time, but I wish people would only reply based on facts not opinion.

I feel nails and beauty have always been seen as a cheap and easy route to make money and those who come in with that mentality don't stay around long as they soon realise it's not easy, it's not cheap and it's hard, thankless, soul destroying work sometimes. They drive me mad with asking 'whats the cheapest, strongest gel polish?' - who wants to go to a tech using the cheapest products around??? If you expect to charge your clients a good price for a good service at least offer them a quality product. You don't go to a 5star restaurant and expect to be served Tesco Value food - same principle with our industry.

Rant over :p

.......but they will go to a 'cheap' restaurant and expect 5 star....!o_O

I recently had a client enthuse that 'Morrisons' the supermarket had just had their 'cafe' refurbished....and guess what, she could now get a specialty tea.
However, her disappointment soon became apparent when upon asking for a 'touch of ginger', they could not oblige....!
It's Morrisons, not Fortnum & Mason! :p

I get annoyed with offering my advice but when I post a barely get anything back

I have not been on here very long but i can definitely stand by every comment made on this thread.

It's the same in my industry of Branding and Web Design. Anyone with Photoshop thinks they're a graphic designer and anyone who uses Wix or buys a theme and installs it on WordPress is a web designer.

Same applies to this industry the same as mine. Sure anyone can buy a couple of bits and 'have a go' but there will always be space for the professionals. Theres a reason I charge double to most Web Designers and it's because what I do is custom and know what works and what doesn't. You're paying for knowledge every single time :)

Theres a reason I charge double to most Web Designers and it's because what I do is custom and know what works and what doesn't. You're paying for knowledge every single time :)

This!!

Who cares what the other techs charge, charge for your skill and worth and value. Do Chanel worry that other shops sell handbags for £20? Do they heck...they know their products are excellent quality and desirable so people will pay their prices. Same for you, you give something extra the cheap pretenders cant give so you're worth the extra.

I blame bloody Instagram blogs and self trained taught make up nails hair waxing people who tune me for making "snide or unsupportive comment" meanwhile I paid thousands and spent years training (three to be exact) to give me advise for free to someone who is going to undercut me and my credibility, sorry love not gonna happen!

Huge issue in my country people offer two day courses which is a joke

This!!

Who cares what the other techs charge, charge for your skill and worth and value. Do Chanel worry that other shops sell handbags for £20? Do they heck...they know their products are excellent quality and desirable so people will pay their prices. Same for you, you give something extra the cheap pretenders cant give so you're worth the extra.
Just the mention of Chanel brings me out in cold sweats haha. My wife is obsessed with Chanel.

[QUOTE="

Huge issue in my country people offer two day courses which is a joke[/QUOTE]

2 days?? We get one day courses :(

Oh hahahaha well that is double the knowledge then! Cool [emoji41]

I have never known an industry where so many people think it’s acceptable to find the cheapest, shortest learning method. Don’t look for quality, just the cost and location. Peoples excuse for not doing full training courses are usually money and kids. Yup, been there. My desire was greater than my obstacles. We don’t get teachers saying “I want to teach but I’ve got kids. Any one day courses?”

Of course we then have the same people coming on here asking how to get more clients. The thinking is that there is a client base lurking in every corner, just waiting for your doors to open. The reality is that clients are just that - clients. They’re usually going somewhere, so what do you offer to make them want to come to you? Then starts the price war. £10 shellac nails, fingers and toes for £15. Anything to get clients. Any clients. No marketing and business comprehension and then the other side “the therapist by me does £10 nails. How can I compete with that?”

And so it goes on. There are small indications that the industry is changing. Some local authorities are preventing therapists operating without a minimum level 2 qualification and there is now a level 4 qualification but those doing quick one day courses, and happy with that level of training, won’t give a monkeys about that!

Vic x

Let's not get to up our own backsides here !
It's surely a place where we can offer advice and reassurance to those who have genuine concerns , i.e. Have a client coming in tomorrow and have specific concerns!
Remember , no one knows everything ( although lots on here think they do !)
The industry is continually evolving
Let's be supportive of one another !
Instead of "er really , how long have you been qualified , those are basic skills "[emoji51]

Let's not get to up our own backsides here !
It's surely a place where we can offer advice and reassurance to those who have genuine concerns , i.e. Have a client coming in tomorrow and have specific concerns!
Remember , no one knows everything ( although lots on here think they do !)
The industry is continually evolving
Let's be supportive of one another !
Instead of "er really , how long have you been qualified , those are basic skills "[emoji51]

Please re-read my post
I'm trying to make a very valid point.

Our Profession is being devalued, and my question was, is it partly due to the growing assumption that it's a 'fluffy' part-time, bit on the side, learn it on-line, nonsense industry.:oops:

That offends me.

I'm sure the replies on here are not intending to 'bash' any newbie starting out wide eyed and excited.:)
We should all be very proud of our accomplishments from our early days training, to where we are now.
But we trained well......and are still learning.:cool:
Some of the posts on our 'professional forum' are un-professional.
That is my point.
These are not 'queries' from folk wanting to enter the industry...they are looking for a way in...quickly and cheaply....:p

The lack of in-depth training, IMO, is the root cause of most of this industry's issues.
As someone who is very proud of the industry I chose 37 years ago, it does offend me to see it 'cheapened':(
The idea that there are 'plenty of clients to go round....good client's will always find you'.....is fine, except my belief is that the public have lost respect for our industry, partly due to sub standard, cut price treatments they have received from poorly trained operators....we then all get tared with the same brush.:oops:

Not aimed at any particular post ,just a generalisation of some of the attitudes I have encountered ( sometimes ) ! On here !

I very often watch YouTube videos and see hairdressers showing viewers how to do a full head highlights or a tint, then go into salons services and they are open to the public to who are buying professional hair colour and charging cheap. I taught to get a professional trade card for wholesale you need a qualification in hair or beauty but no all you need is a cert from a half a day spray tan course and you Have a trade card, something that most of us professionals have worked years for, this really annoyed me as its hard to be professional when just about any one can walk in with a cert and start competition.

There is salons in Dublin offering a spray tan for €10, I charging more than that and then have people asking why I charge more. It is soul destroying sometimes. But what are we to do?

Another question I wonder is WHY is this professional forum open to the unprofessional public to join and ask questions?

I do not believe that doing beauty part-time shows that you are not wholeheartedly in to it. I think it’s the attitude that counts. And let’s be realistic here, it’s not always easy to abandon everything you did because you had a change of heart 10 years down the road. Not when you have bills to pay and no one to back you up.
I will admit however that I totally agree with the OP regarding quickies. It’s frustrating seeing people openly admiting that they are doing one thing or another simply for some extra money disregarding completely any training or quality of products. But if the companies are not going to protect our industry, how are we going to protect ourselves?

I very often watch YouTube videos and see hairdressers showing viewers how to do a full head highlights or a tint, then go into salons services and they are open to the public to who are buying professional hair colour and charging cheap. I taught to get a professional trade card for wholesale you need a qualification in hair or beauty but no all you need is a cert from a half a day spray tan course and you Have a trade card, something that most of us professionals have worked years for, this really annoyed me as its hard to be professional when just about any one can walk in with a cert and start competition.

There is salons in Dublin offering a spray tan for €10, I charging more than that and then have people asking why I charge more. It is soul destroying sometimes. But what are we to do?

Another question I wonder is WHY is this professional forum open to the unprofessional public to join and ask questions?

I totally agree with you. I went to try out my local salon services a few weeks back. I was told i needed proof of Public liability & salon address while they were asking for this a someone walked in who i knew & was not in the trade at all. Yet i own & run a salon and had all this hassle to get a trade card.

I onky joined salon geek a few weeks back & i was so suprised to see it was open to anyone

I can't understand how anyone is doing nails and lashes and tanning and hair for only the money when a hard work, time consuming and a lot of training to be even considered good, I resent companies who make professional products then sell to the public.

This industry has devalued itself.

The sad truth is that anyone *can* do it.

Anyone *can* with no prior experience do a 1 day accredited course which then allows them to get insurance and start working on the unsuspecting public.

Even this forum is open to absolutely anyone [emoji12] no proof of qualifications, experience, or insurance required to sign up.

There are very few suppliers that sell strictly to "professionals only".

And until there is regulation within the industry we will continue the race to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back