What should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinkOfPink

Reaction score
Hi Hair Geeks,

I'm coming over from Beauty for some advice. . .
I had a full head of highlights at the weekend taking my hair from a darker to brighter/whiter blonde. My hairdresser advised during the process that it might need some Moroccan oil and treatments after as I'm going blonder, however that was all.

Whilst letting my colour develop she came over and advised that she'll be removing the underneath packets in a minute as they're almost ready to come off, however she was then distracted as a friend rang and instead had a 25 minute conversation in the staff room before eventually coming over and checking the packets and asking me to go to the backwash.

As we came to dry my hair I could tell that my hair was severely dry and damaged, I couldn't run my fingers through it, she managed to smooth down the top sections however it was incredibly dry, matted and almost chewing gum like in appearance.

I returned home and was having a hair extensions consultation that evening, before the lady touched my hair she advised it looked like it had been over-processed. She advised to buy give it a good wash incase of remaining product, buy treatment masks and use daily before our appointment and if it was no better, to return to the salon.

I washed my hair thoroughly and put on a treatment mask and as I combed through my hair I had so much hair loss and was left holding a big clump of hair that looked white. My hair was noticeably thinner and has never looked so thin and bitty on the ends.

A couple of days later, I had my hair extensions fitted and before applying any, the lady advised that all the underneath sections had tufts of hair that had been snapped off. Right up until my crown. She took photos and will be sending them to me later.

What should I do? What would you do?
I hate to complain but my confidence is feeling really low as the underneath of my hair has tiny tufts of hair where the hair is just snapped.
The lady has managed to place the extensions strategically, as to not place them on any damaged areas and we'll be removing frequently to check how they are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated x

OMG. I'd be absolutely horrified if I saw another staff member do this.
All I can recommend (and I'm sure every other geek will too) is olaplex. You need a regular in salon treatment with 1&2 and use No3 at home along with moisture treatments.
Really feel for you. Hope this helps.

Sorry should also of added. You should 100% complain. She has overprocessed your hair end of.

OMG. I'd be absolutely horrified if I saw another staff member do this.
All I can recommend (and I'm sure every other geek will too) is olaplex. You need a regular in salon treatment with 1&2 and use No3 at home along with moisture treatments.
Really feel for you. Hope this helps.

Thanks Laurajane for your response, I will definitely look into Olaplex treatments. I've been going to the salon for 3-4 months and never had a problem, can't see why this has happened. The only thing I'm thinking is what can they do about it now? They cant undo what's happened? Is it worth complaining? X

Last edited:
Your right it can't be undone but if it was up to me I'd be offering free treatments until hair felt in better condition. Like you said she knew she should of taken the colour off but then decided to take a phone call. I bet she's used to high of a developer and not managed her timing very well. I'd also make sure to complain so she doesn't make the same stupid mistake again.
Look into Maria Nila products. They do a reconstruction range and it's fab. Also paraben free so good for extensions.

Hi this same thing happened to me About 8 months ago. I have highlights followed by an ash toner same hairdresser i had for years went on MAT leave so reccomended to another lady. Told her what i had ect, says no problem thats nice and straight forward. After about half an hour im sat there thinking hmmm! Thinking its usually of by now, caught the stylist attention, without checking she told me i needed at least another 15 minutes, scary. Anyway when she was removing the foils i could hear and feel my hair ripping. Whilst shes removing them shes telling me how damaged my hair is, without mentioning this at consultation stage. My toner went on for 5 minutes. I got to the mirror with wet hair my hair was many differnt tones yellow, orange, white the highlights were really chunky when it was dried she never even shown me the back in mirror as she knew it was a state. Went home took some pictures and asked two hairdressers what they thought. Told me to go back and complain, i first messaged the salon on facebook with the pictures, just saying look im not too sure whats gone wrong but my hair doesnt normally look like this. She was really apologatic, and told me to come too the salon to see what she could went back to days later, she was stood waiting for me with a gown a pile of foils and bleach, i asked her what she was going to do and she said redo the whole head with out even looking at it. I just said i dont think thats the way forward id rather have maybe a couple of treatments then maybe look at doing it again but she refussed me so i asked for a refund and she refussed that too. Wasnt impressed but what can you do got new hair dresser now x

It happened to me, I complained to the owner of the salon and turns out the same lady had fried someone else's hair before and she no longer works there so hopefully they realised she wasn't a good hairdresser :)

Plenty of penitratring moisturiseing treatments.
Please don't overload on high protein products.... They won't help now your hair is so dry. It will make it more brittle.

Good back and complain and get a full refund. She can't fix it. It's not a dodgy cut its an over processed disaster. And never go back to her again. You NEVER get distracted from a client with chemicals on the hair. Never.

Good luck lovely

Write a letter that the salon detailing what happened and explain that you have been advised that the damage has been caused by over processing the hair and give them 7 days to refund before you will take legal action.

They know they've caused the damage. I can't believe they've not tried to rectify the situation with free treatments and try to salvage their reputation. They're obviously not hot on customer service!

Latest posts

Back