What things do you look for in a salon (not treatments but the room)?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello There

Ive just started to rent above a hairdresses took me two months to redecorate to my taste.

The reception area is like an upside down L shape the colours I chose were beige and creams cosy and warm feel, it has laminated flooring which is a breeze to clean everyday I have two really comfy chairs and a table in the middle of the two with a coffee maker and a water dispenser. Also have a dish with sweets and lollipops in it so clients can help themselves. also have my retail leaflets on hand so they can take a peek:)

The other end I have a fantastic window where I have set up my nail bar so it really bright.

The treatment room I have had a dimmer switch put in and put lovely lights up so when im doing Aromatherapy Massage, Reflexology, Reiki, Facials I can dim the lights have the candles lit and soft relaxing music playing.

I have had really good feedback from clients I have had in the salon so far,

Ohhh I also have a comments book which I find a very good marketing tool.
and accept all kinds of payment which is a must for every salon.

The hairdressers downstairs are really good, when they know I have clients in they turn the music down for me and let there clients know that I have a client booked in so the noise level is minimal, we all work together which has been really good so far,

By the way Calla your website is directing to a page that says "the back bedroom" with a pic of a cat on a computer! Just thought I'd let you know x

Thanks Weezie!

That's Ruth's cat! Ruth is designing my website so that's just a holding page for now!

Less is more. I don't want a cluttered, claustrophobic space. Just because you offer 37 different treatments doesn't mean I want to see all the tools associated with them on show.
:(

Could not agree more with this. I only get out tools & products for the treatment in progress, that includes facial products. I don't need 3 types of cleanser/toner/exfoliant etc. out for everyone.

I really like a room to have a theme or at least be co-ordiated. There is noting worse than a salon where nothing matches and looks like its been 'chucked' together.

Dimmer switch for lights is essential, as is the attention to music (spot on Nailzoo!).

Heating (goes without saying) but if your planning a tiled floor it will be cold underfoot no matter how warm your room so underfloor heating is a must.

But most of all, a happy, friendly, knowledgeable, aproachable, clean & tidy therapist is the most essential addition to any salon!

Em x

Just a few more things id like to add, i like colour within a salon or a beauty room there is nothing worse than walking into a beauty room and it looks clinical it puts me off, i do like to see a trendy colour along with cream on the walls. Also a nice pleasant smell but nothing too strong xx

OMG NO!!!!!!
really had a scrappy bit of paper with the instructions on! OMFG!

that is so unbelieveable!!!!

When I am learning something new I have it on a small crib card which I have hidden and only get it out for piece of mind, ie security blanket JUST incase I forget where I'm at! But its hidden and theres no way the client would see it!

Would you ever go back?

It's true I even took a picture of it......how sad is that but I couldn't believe it!!

Not a chance of going back as she also kept leaving the treatment room and there was a tv on which I could hear above the calming music. It only cost $55 but I guess you get what you pay for. Thought I was supporting the neighbourhood salon but off to the Corporate spa next time:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies guys:hug:.

You have given me lots to think about I have to say.

The oak flooring is a very mid-toned colour, neither too dark or light so I'm now looking for paint colours to match. And as has been said it's got to be warm without being too clinical. My logo colours are pink, so I need to have touches of that too.

There are 3 windows, 2 at the front, one at the back where the treatment area will/couch will be.

Any interior designers out there?!:wink2::green:

chipped paintwork always sets my teeth on edge too, as well as fingermarks on mirrors, light switches etc.
Shall I stop now?!

chipped paintwork always sets my teeth on edge too, as well as fingermarks on mirrors, light switches etc.
Shall I stop now?!

No, no!! Keep em coming!:lol:

Seriously the more things I think about then the chances are that this little salon of mine is going to be gorgeous.:green:

if you're going to have plants in your salon look after them!
Too many times I've seen half dead plants/flowers, or clashing colours/scents etc.
If you're going to have a fragranced salon make sure that all your fragrances complement one another. And try not to have those awful chemical ones!

Latest posts

Back