Whats are the best things to thin clear varnish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizmosrevenge

Reaction score
Sorry this is a simple question but i've tryed to find a thread with no success. My Sally Hanson varnish has gone gloopy and its still half full so i don't want to ruin it just yet.:o

How long have you had it? If it's old I'd personally buy a new one...if it's quite new and you haven't left the lid off or not closed properly, I'd take it back to the shop because they shouldn't gloop up over a short period of time. I find you never get the same consistency or finish with a thinned polish as compared to a new or non-gloopy one.

You can always thin a gloopy polish with a new one of the same!! Keep the new one for topping up the gloopy one and it should be just fine again.

gizmosrevenge said:
Sorry this is a simple question but i've tryed to find a thread with no success. My Sally Hanson varnish has gone gloopy and its still half full so i don't want to ruin it just yet.:o

Some companies do a thinner for NV, Mavala do one and it is available in chemists. You just need a few drops and mix and it should work ok.
CND enamels do not seem to go thick at all, as they are what is known as thixatropic (sp?) the same way that ketchup is, the more you shake them or twist them between your hands the thinner they get...great, no morse waste!:)

I dislike to waste anything if its savable so your coments are greatly appreciated. I'll give them a whorl. :D

Glad to be of help.:green:

Hi

The company/brand you use may do a thinner designed for their products, worth asking.

Deb379

Using thinners always ruins the polish which goes thick again twice as quickly.

Take my advice and buy another bottle of he same and use it for 'top up' only and your polish will be like new again instead of being ruined.

I am going to try this gigi. I always find that creme puff goes a little gloopy half way down.

It never pays to use thinners, as it then goes thicker even quicker, then you end up throwing your polish away. ( i know, i've done it myself)

Didin't know about topping it up with a new polish of the same, great advice Gigi.

zoeCU said:
I am going to try this gigi. I always find that creme puff goes a little gloopy half way down.

ALL white polishes of ANY make tend to go thicker because of the titanium in the polish. there is no way round this other than to top up with the same 'new' colour or in the case of CND polish ... a few drops of Stickey added to the polish does the trick every time.

me and my friend werehaving this discussion the other day and she said that she put nail varnish remover in her varnishes to thin it out again, is this wise or is she just ruining her varnishes?

katielou

katielou said:
me and my friend werehaving this discussion the other day and she said that she put nail varnish remover in her varnishes to thin it out again, is this wise or is she just ruining her varnishes?

katielou

It absolutely ruins them!! :smack:
NEVER take advice form friends!! :biggrin: This is the kind of thing we did when we were kids!!
If it worked professionals would be doing it .. yea? :?:
They're not.

geeg said:
ALL white polishes of ANY make tend to go thicker because of the titanium in the polish. there is no way round this other than to top up with the same 'new' colour or in the case of CND polish ... a few drops of Stickey added to the polish does the trick every time.

...just wondering if the same is likely to be true of white gel... i use biosculpture, and i always find that the white thickens noticeably towards the end of the pot!

katielou said:

katielou

Enamel remover only thins the enamel for a very short time, it evaporates very quickly and leaves it even more gloopier for the next client, as by the time you have done both hands it will have almost evaporated again and has changed the chemical make up of the enamel.....

Agitating your enamel from brand new and always doing this before an application does proglong its life, but saying that white is a bugger...if you haven't got another top up bottle handy (it is usualy a no no to shake enamel, you should just roll it between your plams) but when it comes to the white and it is gloopy, I do do the cocktail moves without the throwing of the bottles up in the air...as CND enamels contain a clever little chemical, the more you agitate it the thinner the enamel gets...then just let it settle for a minute.....
JMHO

Latest posts

Back