When/how to complain about hair extensions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhododendron

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I just got new tape hair extensions fitted last week and they are making me so miserable.

I had nano beads for a few years & decided to try tapes and I seem to have half as much hair now despite paying for what I thought was a full head. They are also looking very sparse at the front, and my own hair (shoulder length) is so very obvious from the front.

The other issue is the colour. I have dyed jet black hair, and wanted it fading down to a grey ombre. At the consultation, the hair dresser told me he could get the extensions no problem, but on the day told me he was only able to get half a head so has put completely blonde hair extensions in amongst my black-to-grey ombre ones. I went along with it despite being surprised by this as it was NOT what I requested and I didn't know what to do. It looks like an absolute mess.

My own hair is also longer than where the ombre colour starts, so from the back it looks like blonde extensions in jet black hair (which half of it is!!). I am going to have to spend approximately £200 (at another salon) to fix this colour. The reference photos I used were very obvious to show what I wanted so I am upset that this has happened. I KNOW I was asking for something out of the ordinary, but the hairdresser seemed totally confident.

Do I have any rights to complain? I did tell them I liked it at the time because I didn't know what else to do. I do not want the same salon to fix it as they clearly didn't listen to me. It cost me £600.

Thanks for reading & thanks in advance for any advice.

You've got two options: You either return and ask them to fix their mistake as it wasn't what you asked for or suck it up and spend more money getting someone else to fix it.

Life lesson...Stop being a people pleaser and speak up and say straightaway when something's wrong. Seriously, you really need to practise this skill as it's a skill you'll need to use again in the future in other circumstances. (Assertiveness training really should be taught in school in my opinion.)

Let's be honest, the hairdresser knows he was wrong to go ahead and fit the blonde hair. It was never going to blend in well. (!!)

Explain that you assumed as the 'professional' he knew what he was doing and you gave him the benefit of the doubt but he must acknowledge that it doesn't enhance his or the Salon's reputation to have you walking about like that. Be firm, state what you would like them to do to fix the situation and remain calm and polite.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest that they carefully colour the blonde hair to blend in but I wonder why they didn't offer to do this at the time? Did you pressure them to go ahead and fit the hair, otherwise it makes no sense?

£200 to fix a few blonde extensions? That sounds quite expensive.

You've got two options: You either return and ask them to fix their mistake as it wasn't what you asked for or suck it up and spend more money getting someone else to fix it.

Life lesson...Stop being a people pleaser and speak up and say straightaway when something's wrong. Seriously, you really need to practise this skill as it's a skill you'll need to use again in the future in other circumstances. (Assertiveness training really should be taught in school in my opinion.)

Let's be honest, the hairdresser knows he was wrong to go ahead and fit the blonde hair. It was never going to blend in well. (!!)

Explain that you assumed as the 'professional' he knew what he was doing and you gave him the benefit of the doubt but he must acknowledge that it doesn't enhance his or the Salon's reputation to have you walking about like that. Be firm, state what you would like them to do to fix the situation and remain calm and polite.

Ordinarily, I'd suggest that they carefully colour the blonde hair to blend in but I wonder why they didn't offer to do this at the time? Did you pressure them to go ahead and fit the hair, otherwise it makes no sense?

£200 to fix a few blonde extensions? That sounds quite expensive.

Thank you for replying.
I am not so keen on the salon fixing it as they only have this one guy who does extensions and we CLEARLY do not share the same visions. I usually am very assertive but I have never had a problem like this before so didn't know my rights, hence me asking on this forum.

I was shocked when he said he was adding the blonde as he sprung it on me at the very last second, but trusted him as the professional, I did not pressure them to fit the hair and was told afterwards that the blonde could not be dyed black at the top as the actual tape bond would remain blonde. The more I think about it, the more I just want them all gone!

The £200 is an estimated price for a colour expert to correct it all, it wasn't just the blonde bits that were the problem, the entire ombre effect is really poor so my whole head would need to be fixed. Also, this is a typical London price unfortunately.

You are completely right in saying I need to be firm & direct with how I want them to fix it, but right now I can't really see HOW it can be fixed without removing half of them. Is this something I can ask? Or ask for a partial refund to get it fixed elsewhere?

I'm no expert but having gone through a similar experience back last year with hair colour gone wrong I was shocked they let me walk out of the salon tbh! And thought maybe I'd get friends & family opinion first it was horrendous!

Went back the next day and requested half of the Money back which was the money for the colour. I had no confidence in them whatsoever to correct and if you feel that way, I'm sure you can request it, where you stand on this I'm not sure?

You are completely right in saying I need to be firm & direct with how I want them to fix it, but right now I can't really see HOW it can be fixed without removing half of them. Is this something I can ask? Or ask for a partial refund to get it fixed elsewhere?

Start with asking for a full refund pointing out that they're in breach of contract because they didn't supply the ombré hair that they had previously agreed to. Tell them you only accepted the blonde hair because they didn't offer you an alternative at the time and it's now perfectly clear to everyone that it's not a reasonable alternative.

Latest posts

Back