Where does most of your client traffic come from?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitalityTherapies

Reaction score
I'm debating whether to 'invest' and spend a huge £18 a month on a Vistaprint website design and running.

However, I would like to find out if a website really is as important as it used to be or if Facebook, Instagram, Twitter have all taken over in advertising your business.

Thanks, Natalie

Don't do that!! Use Wordpress it's free then buy a theme it's a one off cost!

I went to people per hour and hired someone to do it. Unless you are willing to pay a lot of money for it, it's not worth it because the lowest offers are just crap. And mind I didn't get the lowest offer, but I didn't get the higher either. The only thing I got that was worth my money was the logo I created. So I fired the developer I had hired from there.
I then tried to edit the Wordpress that he had set up for me and I made a mess of it. It's simple to use yes but you could tell by the quality it wasn't professionally made.
Wix is a good DIY idea, same or similar to vistaprint I think, and easy to set up and running immediately but again the same results.

I ended up hiring a web +graphics developer team that set up my site from scratch for 600€ basic +100€ for any extra language + free training for me on how to use it + domain-based mail setup.
I did add a few things like a professional photoshoot and bank paying, but that was my choice which came afterwards and not part of the initial cost. It still is in Wordpress so I can add or adjust products, offers, articles on the blog etc.
I know it sounds a lot at first but trust me when I tell you that it isn't. And that when you go cheap, like with everything else, you pay double. The good things are I always know whom to call when I need something changed or done and the guys are fast. They notify me on time if there is something that needs my attention. And my site has that professionally-made look I wanted instead of the rubbish the first guy had done. Not to mention they did all the communication with the bank, cause I wouldn't know heads or tails to set that up!
So if you want to set up a website I'd definitely recommend to hire someone professional.

As to whether or not it's worth it or to go for social media marketing, I personally wouldn't trust an add I couldn't find info online or a fb page that would give minimal info. I always look for the website whenever I look at a fb page and go straight to the source. A website is not just for advertisement. It's the representation of your work. To make a simile for you, a website is your shop and Facebook is your flyer. You wouldn't give out flyers if you didn't have a shop, would you? Not to mention that any social media marketing needs your constant attention. If it's dead online then it's dead generally.

Having said that, I wouldn't jump right into making a site cause I understand it can cost a lot. Not to mention that certain occupations just have no ground for a website, like pet-sitters or animateurs for instance and they can work better through a fb page. It just all depends on how involved you are in your work. If it's a side job or your main job, etc.
I would first go for the social media, fb page mainly as it is also minimally informative, and use the things I already have to give myself a boost and attract some clients. See if I can get any interest in it. If it's a side job I wouldn't go further. If it was my main, I'd later invest in a professionally made site.

Hope it helps you. If you are decided on it I can give you contact info of my developers' team. They are superb.

I'm debating whether to 'invest' and spend a huge £18 a month on a Vistaprint website design and running.

However, I would like to find out if a website really is as important as it used to be or if Facebook, Instagram, Twitter have all taken over in advertising your business.

Thanks, Natalie
I have only ever used Facebook and word of mouth... I started off with a launch party and invited all my friends and family.this made them aware that I was having a change in career ( I was an engineer for over 10 years, so still a shock to many) I haven't even advertised on Facebook I've considered it on quieter weeks but my God send is probably a reminder service. So many of my clients like this as I do waxing and lash extensions I message clients a set time determined by the rate of growth sweat we can book a repeat appointment.

My clients are a mix of word of mouth recommendations, Facebook respondents or they find me online. I've got a FB page which is quite active with hundreds of followers, I run a competition most months which people "share" and I boost posts occasionally but not often. I place free ads on the local FB selling pages very regularly too.

I don't have a website, but I am registered on 60+ free listing sites so if you google nails/shellac/acrylic etc and my home town I appear more than once on the first page. In particular, good ones are yell.com, cylex and netmums.

I don't use Instagram or twitter.

My clients are a mix of word of mouth recommendations, Facebook respondents or they find me online. I've got a FB page which is quite active with hundreds of followers, I run a competition most months which people "share" and I boost posts occasionally but not often. I place free ads on the local FB selling pages very regularly too.

I don't have a website, but I am registered on 60+ free listing sites so if you google nails/shellac/acrylic etc and my home town I appear more than once on the first page. In particular, good ones are yell.com, cylex and netmums.

I don't use Instagram or twitter.

What do you do for your competitions blossom? I've never done one before but was thinking about it for when we get to the quieter times.

All my clients are from word of mouth, Facebook, and through searching on google

I qualified 2 years ago and since then all of my clients have been from FB and personal recommendation.
I regularly paid for ads and found them successful.
I've just closed my diary to new clients as I'm fully booked.

I think it depends on your business and what treatments you offer. If you do nails and lashes, then something like Instagram and FB are great as you can show off your work and tend to attract a younger audience.
I mainly do holistic treatments, massage and facials, so I find posting on social media a little tricker.

I have a Wix website and I'd be lost without it. A huge amount of my clients find me because they come across my website whilst searching online. My website allows clients to book their appointments online, pay deposits & receive automatic email reminders, all of which I find invaluable. My clients find the booking system very convenient as it can be difficult to get hold of me when I'm working.

Designing the website on Wix is really easy as it's template based and it's free. I pay £12 a month (packages start from £6 a month I think?) which I feel is reasonable when I don't pay for any other form of marketing.

Last edited:
If they are not from recommendations then it's always my website, we also have lots of online booking as well as its linked to ovatu.
I laid around £2.5k 7 years ago and I pay £25 a month for hosting and ongoing Seo
Xx

What do you do for your competitions blossom? I've never done one before but was thinking about it for when we get to the quieter times.

All my clients are from word of mouth, Facebook, and through searching on google
It usually requires them to like & share one of my nail photos, perhaps commenting on a favourite colour etc and then after a week I pick a winner at random. Usually results in some extra likes on my page, and the winner often becomes a regular or recommends x

It usually requires them to like & share one of my nail photos, perhaps commenting on a favourite colour etc and then after a week I pick a winner at random. Usually results in some extra likes on my page, and the winner often becomes a regular or recommends x

Thanks I'll give this a go! X

I get alot from my website how about getting a student to make you one? Lower cost for you experience and something for there portfolio for them win win

I used Banner Penguin to do my website and i love it! It didn't cost the earth, monthly cost is reasonable and he is always at the end of an email if i have any questions about anything. He attached online booking to it as well which is great.

I use shedul. It's free and you can link it to your facebook page too, even if you don't have a website.

The majority of my clients come through my website or recommendations x

I used Banner Penguin to do my website and i love it! It didn't cost the earth, monthly cost is reasonable and he is always at the end of an email if i have any questions about anything. He attached online booking to it as well which is great.

I use shedul. It's free and you can link it to your facebook page too, even if you don't have a website.

The majority of my clients come through my website or recommendations x
Thanks for the recommendation :)

In my opinion a website is always a worthwhile investment and one made properly will pay for itself easily in the first 12 months even if the initial cost is over 4 figures.

I have several hair and beauty clients and some at the very top of google absolutely killing it. This is what makes me happy. The more my clients make the more they recommend me ;)

Latest posts

Back