Which add-on service would be best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would be the best add-on service for Nail Tech Vetty?

• Eyebrow Threading

Votes: 32 38.1%
  • Eyelash Extensions

Votes: 52 61.9%

• Total voters

Vetty

Lost and happy geek!
Reaction score
I am a Nail Tech(L+P Master, Gel, Manicure, Minx), only ever done nail training never done any skin-type stuff at all...... So if I were to add a new service to my business would I be better to learn Eyebrow Threading or Eyelash Extensions? What would be more popular and/or profitable?

Also, and I know this is 'how long is a bit of string' question :), but how easy are both skills to learn?

Cheers geeky ones :hug:

Last edited:
Well, I love doing eyelash extensions, but they are a long treatment to do, (1-2 hrs) Threading would be a great quick add on. I was just thinking that if you are doing nails mainly, that are 1-2 hrs, then lashes the same, would you have enough time for all your infill clients, lashes or nails, iykwim.
God Im rambling now, lol. I know what I mean:lol:

I know you have given two options regarding lashes but have you considered spray tanning, as that is a hugely popular treatment.x

In answer to your question, I would say eyelash extensions.

I am not personally a great fan of threading as (i) I think it works best on people who have quite prominent eyebrows to begin with, not so good on blondies with weak brows and (ii) where I live, threading is charged at around £2.50 for brows, whereas I charge £8-10 to wax them.

Just a thought though, you could learn waxing and tinting and offer brow & lash tinting and brow shaping, which in my experience is quick, easy, popular, profitable... need I say more :lol:

Also, I think an eyelash tint is a good idea, not essential but a good idea, before extensions, so you may need to learn tinting anyway.

The impact of an eyelash tint and an eyebrow shape together can be quite stunning. I charge £20 and it takes about 30 mins. Also, your set up costs need not be too high.

Hope that helps Yvette :hug:

Going by the demand for those services by the beauty therapist I work with, I would certainly go for eyelash extensions. They seem to be very popular at the moment.

I agree with a lot of what Zoe has said and I would be more likely to train for the following in the order listed:

(a) Spry Tanning
(b) Eyelash Tinting / Perming
(c) Waxing
(d) Eyelash Extensions

They are very popular treatments which I think can be done individually very well. I would introduce one additional treatment at a time and once you have the hang of that, add further treatments.

I have just completed my Level 2 in Beauty Therapy and doing my Level 3 from September. It is a real slog, especially juggling clients and trying to open a new salon but Level 2 has been one of the best things I have done - fab! I am doing Level 3 very reluctantly only because I don't know what the future holds - I may want to employ Level 3 therapist(s) / I may want a job in a good spa or salon in the UK or abroad / If I don't complete it, I would feel only part qualified. I would give serious thought to at least doing Level 2. I am chocca now with nail clients (typical now that I can offer other services) but I don't regret doing Level 2 at all and feel so much more confident about my future in that I am not depending entirely on one skill (nails).

Good luck with whatever you decide Vetty and if you want to chat, pm me xx:hug:

I mainly do waxing all day and every day but these other treatments are still asked for quite regularly.

Spray Tanning
& Eyelash & Brow Tinting

I have never been asked for lash extensions (but if I had promotional material around then I am sure I would have takers for them). I am asked if I do threading on a fair few occasions but as I do waxing I don't want to take up threading atm. I am usually asked for threading by my male clients to tidy up the upper beard line.

:hug:

I took threading off my service menu and would go for one of the other services mentioned. A lot of people who asked for it wanted it at a moments notice and did not want to book - ideal for a brow bar but not as a home based concern. I also have many years experience in brow waxing and I get good results better than if I thread so I felt the threading clients were not getting a good a job as my waxing clients. However saying that a combination of threading and waxing is useful with some clients but not enought for me to advertise it.:)

I have no experience in either but I do get asked about threading ALL the time. I have some clients that travel 20miles to get it done at Selfridges they love it that much.

I did think about training in it but it looked really fidilly (to me) and I didn't like how it grew back after id had it done.

I would say choose whichever treatment you feel you will have the most demand for from your clients and that you will enjoy doing.

Thanks so much for your input, maybe I'll just stick to nails!!!! If threading was added onto a rebalance appt it's a quick bit of extra money, as I'm mobile I don't think it's worth doing as a standalone treatment........ Lash extensions do take a lot more time, and I don't think I have enough spare appt time to take on many clients...... I'm running at about 75% booked with nail clients on average, fully booked at my busy times. If Lashes take 1.5 - 2 hours I will struggle to fit many in.

You've all given me lots to think about and I really appreciate your experience and opinions :hug:

I voted brow threading,
but I'm just thinking brow services generally,shaping,tinting,waxing,

as I personally wouldnt want to pay for lash extensions as they are pricey,lol
whereas brows are inexpensive & change the whole face.

jmho :hug:

Mmmmmm when I did my beauty therapy I did the waxing , eye lash tinting, perming and false lashes... Know things have moved on from then...................but I personally would never want to do an eyelash perm or extensions ever again lol !!! I'm however definately looking at updating my waxing skills especially in the eyebrow department.

The HD brows mentioned on the skin geek thread looks good - I may go on this course despite feeling jaded with threading as they use a variety of techniques/tints useful even for those with sparse eyebrows.:)

I would definitely say lash extensions was more profitable and rewarding, i had my eyebrows threaded twice and i didn't like the out come... i paid £20 in Fenwick, when i would have been much happier plucking them myself!
at least i don't have to go round with bushy eyebrows for a week!

(ii) where I live, threading is charged at around £2.50 for brows, whereas I charge £8-10 to wax them.

Good God!! I charge £10 to thread eyebrows!! Am I overly expensive?!
Sorry, not yet read the rest of the posts, I just saw this and was shocked!! :eek: xxx

I also voted for Threading (although I havent trained in Threading but I am interested in the HD Brows) but would like to add as "Appex73" has said a combination of Brow work & lash Tinting really bumps up this service on your menu as you can do several packages and all can be be done in very little time. After I saw the HD Brows vid in the blogs and it does look great I would be very interested in more Training info from them.

I would go for Lash/Brow tinting and threading if your looking to add onto your skills as this is quick to do versus the lash extensions with you being so busy already.

Most people wanting tinted want shaped too and with threading v waxing it costs less to train in the threading but I would also in time learn to wax but that is me personal since that is what I have done ( I learned waxing and it progressed from there)

Try get an ILA £200 towards learning if you don't use it you haven't cost yourself money but have gained another string to your bow!

Cath

I'm looking into these at the moment researching different companies. I've had loads of interest in them so thought what the hell...:hug:

Latest posts

Back