Who's supervisor?? me or her??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissy84

Reaction score
hi geeks, fairly new to this but have seen what good advice youve given to others so i hope you can help.
I work in a salon and in november last year our supervisor went on maternity leave.
Her cover was a girl who used to work here years ago but shes only doing two days a week with us not full time.
Whe she started, the owner (who does not work in salon) said that the supervisor role would be shared between all the girls that worked here with new girl being in charge of stock and orders.
Since shes been here she hasnt even done one stock take and weve been constantly running out of things.
I know it sounds petty but shes really not pulling her weight and its left to me and the other girls.ive already had a run in with her which resulted in formal meetings so i dont know how to tell the owner without it seeming like im being a cow.also,i dont get paid to do a supervisor role so why should i end up doing most of it.
sorry for such a long thread.
any advice would be great x x x:rolleyes:

just ring her and tell her.
I think she'd rather be told by one of her employees if someone was almost running her business to the ground.
You may end up with the job or if not less stressful days at work.xxx

thanks i know thats what i should do. its just so annoying as she was great at 1st, i just seem to be getting all the stress!!
I would just never ignore duties i had to do, id want to prove myself but i suppose we cant get on with everyone we work with x

The short answer would be to simply stop doing what you are not employed to do.

If the stock runs out, cancel the clients. Your owner will soon want to know why her bookings and ultimately her profit is down.

that actually sounds like a good idea.i hate letting people down though, i even had to bring tint and wax strips from home to use!!!!!x

Hi

Ther has been alot of good comment regarding this.

In the salon, do you get paid if you have clients in or not.

If not Simple thing is to tell your boss how you feel, ie, i have worked here for x amount of years and you really love it but now ............
You get the just.

Second, if you do get paid if you have no clients then like said, let the stock run out and cancel clients, im sure your boss would be interested then, to cover your back just leave her little note about what stock you need and see if she orders, if not then it will run out.

Hope you get it sorted.

If the stock runs out, cancel the clients. Your owner will soon want to know why her bookings and ultimately her profit is down.

That's not really a good idea!
The owner may have absolutely no idea what has been going on and she will only know if someone points it out to her.
The fair thing to do would be to have a chat with her and explain the situation in an adult manner.
If you start cancelling clients then it doesn't show much about your attitude to work and ultimately your job could be on the line if she has to make staff cutbacks due to lack of clients.

Wow girls...I am sorry but I totally disagree with running someones business into the ground.
That is a sure fire way to put everyone out of a job!!

To me the first advice was the best...COMMUNICATION!

Contact the salon owner, and arrange a face to face meeting with her.
In a calm and matter of fact way tell her about your concerns, and what YOU have done so far to help avert cancelling clients. Write it all down in notes to make sure nerves don't get the better of you and make you forget anything.
I am sure when she realises that you have gone above and beyond to keep the business going by bringing in your own stock she will appreciate you and possibly consider you to take over as Supervisor with the pay to match.

She most certainly would not do that if you follow the advice given here and just shrug your shoulders and let the salon get a bad name from which it may never recover.

This sounds like the perfect time for you to step up to the plate and show your boss you are pro active,capable and conscientious.

I totally see where your coming from ,the owner is very unnapproachable though but ill have to suck it up and talk to her.
This new girl even phoned me when i was on holiday once to ask what she should order, dont know why she she didnt just look in the cupboards and see what we were low on.ahhh!!!
thanks for all your advice, i could never cancel clients, ive worked too hard to get a good client base.Just sometimes seems tempting!!lol.
I do get paid whether we get clients in or not, and the girls have told me im the most asked after therapist which was a great feeling. x x

I totally see where your coming from ,the owner is very unnapproachable though but ill have to suck it up and talk to her.
This new girl even phoned me when i was on holiday once to ask what she should order, dont know why she she didnt just look in the cupboards and see what we were low on.ahhh!!!
thanks for all your advice, i could never cancel clients, ive worked too hard to get a good client base.Just sometimes seems tempting!!lol.
I do get paid whether we get clients in or not, and the girls have told me im the most asked after therapist which was a great feeling. x x

Yes it is, and you obviously work hard and do care about your work, which is why you should keep this up and not risk losing your good reputation.

I wish you luck, I know this will not be easy if you don't find your boss approachable, but I think you sound very professional, and this is the professional thing to do.

I agree with Izzidoll, I would appreciate someone telling me what was happening. You may even end up promoted. x

That has to be the most shortsighted attitude ever.
And frankly, as a salon owner, if any of my staff started "working to rule" their feet wouldn't touch the ground.

Like everyone has said, tell the owner, i would hate to be paying someone if they weren't doing what i paid them for or pulling there weight when everyone else was.

I definitely agree that you should speak with the owner. Sabotaging her business will not help you one bit and might even put you out of a job if she doesn't think there are enough clients there to need you.

If you're nervous about speaking to her, maybe you could write her a letter.

If it is only stock that this other girl needs to do, what about suggesting you get a whiteboard or even just a sheet of paper stuck in the cupboard and each person writes on it when they have used something up so you have your list all there for you.

Let us know how it goes xx

Latest posts

Back