Why beauty not hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
ive had my beauty section open about a week and we have been really busy its the first time we opened till 7.30pm today.

and today was probaly the first day i actually felt abit positive about everything.
we are booked up for next week too.

but my hair side is still really slow. i cant understand it at all.

i know it will takes a while but i cant understand why i have one room open a week and people book but ive had the hair side for 6 weeks and not that much interest. we have the few busy days but nothing consistent.

any ideas?

p.s. i did my first leg wax today and i felt like a kid i was so nervous but all went well.. i was so happy.

Okay... this is just an idea... my hairdresser says they are a little quiet in the salon now because apparently people are going longer between appointments...so, having their hair done every 8 weeks instead of every 6, that sort of thing. But let's say, having our hair done is a necessity, we have to have it done whether we want to or not.

But beauty is a treat, a luxury, something to look forward to and something we probably enjoy more and therefore we don't want to leave longer between appointments. There is also the theory that people are spending on small luxuries, such as beauty, and going without big luxuries like holidays abroad and new cars.

I personally do not enjoy getting my hair done, it takes ages, most of it is fairly uncomfortable and I'm bored out of my mind. It's a chore! Give me a nice beauty couch to lie on any day of the week :lol:

it could be but havent been open long enough to compare it to anything before if that makes sense.

its really fustrating...:irked:

ive done promos on hair but nothing :cry:...

im glad i did the beauty side now im thinking about gettin rid of my sunbed and doing more beauty like holistic therapy, electroylis etc.

not sure yet but sunbed aint that busy and i think it woud work well with the waxing,facials etc. any way just a thought.

p.s not sure why writing is bold:rolleyes:

There is a fab teacher of electrolysis in Reading, her name is Pamie

Learn Electrolysis

i dont own a salon or tht but just wanted to offer my opinion!!!!!

I think we all take care and pride in our appearance, even during the credit crunch, and treatments like waxing, eye treatments, facials, nails etc cannot be done at home unless you are qualified (which obv your clients arent or else they wouldnt be comin to you!!!!)
Whereas you can buy hair dyes easily and - as much as i dare say it, people are willing to 'experiment' in trimming there own hair so they can wait longer between appointments.

this is only a personal opinion! I just think that during the credit crunch people are cutting corners in order to save money!!!!!

Hope it picks up for you!! Good luck!!

Hi,

Also think about how much your average treatment in the beauty part is...prob ranges from about £5 for eyebrow wax to about £35 for massage or facial? (Just a guess from what my beautician charges). But hair is more expensive, I know the cheapest service I provide is £12, and then you could be up to about £70 for a cut and colour, depending on what you want done. So I personally think it could just be because its a little bit more expensive to get a hair treat than getting a wee file and polish at £7! Money wise, are you getting more than from the hair? Also, I know an empty salon will be a turn off, so if beauty clients see the hair part empty, it may provoke the thought of why is it empty? And the same works with the beauty. People go to busy salons because they know it must be busy for a reason. Why not offer a package like...cut and colour and when your colour is on get a file and polish and maybe offer them 10% off when getting a hair and beauty treatment in the same visit? Or send promo material to all the beauty clients, about the hair services you offer?

Kim xx

its been open about 7 weeks and was closed for a while before so mainly trying to make people aware its open again.

beauty side has been running almost 2 weeks just about and has generated more interest and bookings. you are right about the difference in cost per treatment. but ive had more customers from it and they have been coming in groups of two so far like freinds etc. so id say its been more successful in the short space i can compare with.

hair wise id say we've done alot of children and adults just come in for trims etc.
now im wondering if people do just think oh i cant afford a hair cut so id have a trim etc.:irked:

we have a few hair regulars that come for trims every fortnight so far since we opened.

im hoping as we get more beauty customers they will get interested in more full on hair treatments, e.g highlights etc.

and im glad to have a few regulars already even if just a trim.

also one lady today said she culdnt afford a hair cut .. but then she would have a manicure and pedicure instead which was more then the haircut :rolleyes:

i think a lot of people think its more fun getting nails etc done...a haircut is for most people just a trim up unless they get a big change!

at least you are doing well and you can focus on what you are doing well at and you know where you need to build up :)

well done!!

yeah il have to think of some promos etc to mix them..

i wouldnt say its doing well but it could be worse i suppose. (or maybe im too critical of myself)

just have to keep pluggin away.

or lock people in the shop :eek: instead. jokes

it will all work out. make sure your therapists know to say "i got my hair done here last week and really liked it" etc to the clients so they dont feel pushed into anything but they are still getting the best impression. getting a friend in for a free shampoo and blow dry wouldnt hurt either to make the salon look busy :)

Hi hun, I work in a really well est spa that has been open for 4 yrs & 5 of us went to work there last oct, beauty was up & running pretty much straight away cos the therapists had a very good client base that followed but hair even now is a struggle??
They have just employed a marketing company from Manchester and although we are not getting much £ from hair treatments/beauty :cry: it is working because it is getting a buzz from the general public because we look busy:)
The only thing is I think it is quite exp & if you are a small salon it maybe not viable?
Also do you have any students near you because we put hair vouchers in the fresher booklets e.g full-head highlights & cut £55, they work a treat cos then also you can attempt to get them booked in for another ret app & offer them a 10% stud dis?? hth's xx

We routinely offer free blow drys to big spending beauty clients and free facials to big spending hair clients. Works a treat.
To be honest my hair dept has always been much bigger and more sucessfull than beauty, maybe because I'm a hairdresser myself. Hair is so much easier to run and more profitable than beauty.
Most salons are finding August a little slow. It's quite normal and things pick up in September.

We routinely offer free blow drys to big spending beauty clients and free facials to big spending hair clients. Works a treat.
To be honest my hair dept has always been much bigger and more sucessfull than beauty, maybe because I'm a hairdresser myself. Hair is so much easier to run and more profitable than beauty.
Most salons are finding August a little slow. It's quite normal and things pick up in September.

yeah reading through the posts it does sound like august is slow in general.. alot of people are on hols i suppose

One thing I have found, some stylists do incredably well in my salons and build a clientelle really quickly. Some stylists, even though they are good hairdressers, fall flat. I can't tell you why it happens but it does. I actually sacked a senior stylist today because after 3 1/2 months she just isnt getting rebookings. Yet another senior stylist who has been with me just a couple of months longer is constantly booked up.
I can't define why this happens but experience has taught me not to flog dead horses.
Plus I employ expensive senior stylists. They don't get masses of leeway when I'm paying top dollar.

Latest posts

Back