Why is it advised not to wear enhancements when Scuba Diving ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karren

Reaction score
Hi

Have just had a call from a client who is going Scuba Diving on holiday in June. She has booked herself and mother in for some treatments but has changed her booking from enhancements to a manicure as she has been advised not to be wearing enhancements if going Scuba Diving ?

Anyone know why this is ? Is it for practical reasons ie reaching valves etc or something to do with the pressure / depth ? or IS IT ok to have this treatment if diving ???

thanks

kx

Hi stranger! I would think it is for safety reasons. I had a client who was a keen diver, and one appointment she came in with all her nails ripped off. It transpires there was a diving accident and they had to haul someone on to the boat and she had to help. When you're tying to save someone's life your nails aren't a consideration! So maybe this is why - health and safety issue ... but she had them all put back on, so maybe they are being over cautious. HTH

I think it is more to do with the fact they will be wearing wet suits.............
theses are buggers to get on and enhancements will make it even more diffficult.....breathing equipment and so on..............
So its more for practical reasons.....the nails should not be extending over the free edge........ the same as for netball players lol........... and I have loads of those at the moment.............
Retail the water babes some solar oil, this will be one essential item on there having to pack list !!!!!!

Thanks for the prompt responce Ruth - love to be forewarned so can advise when client arrives ! Solar oil at the ready then .....

kx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I think it is more to do with the fact they will be wearing wet suits.............
theses are buggers to get on and enhancements will make it even more diffficult.....breathing equipment and so on..............
So its more for practical reasons.....the nails should not be extending over the free edge........ the same as for netball players lol........... and I have loads of those at the moment.............
Retail the water babes some solar oil, this will be one essential item on there having to pack list !!!!!!

ouchy

gosh yes stranger !! have we not spoken this week ???? it goes quick huh

thanks sassy

kx
Sassy Hassy said:
Hi stranger! I would think it is for safety reasons. I had a client who was a keen diver, and one appointment she came in with all her nails ripped off. It transpires there was a diving accident and they had to haul someone on to the boat and she had to help. When you're tying to save someone's life your nails aren't a consideration! So maybe this is why - health and safety issue ... but she had them all put back on, so maybe they are being over cautious. HTH

I actually did a set for a friend getting married abroad, and she is a scuba diving fanatic, i was a bit concerened, but, thankfully, her nails managed to stay on until the big day. I actually didn't even think about any safety reasons for her not to have them...oops!

:)

I'm hazarding a guess here

But could it have to do with?

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY.....
Circulation is determined through the
Nail Beds during operations etc.........[Maybe not so much NOW]

Could it be
The Enhancement makes it difficult to determine this?????

Would it not be easier to remove the flippers[Scuba Footwear] to check this?
Easier to get off than a Wet Suit - Enahncements....

This has
Happened a few time's[Although less frequently in my case] with clients having Op's.... Remove the Nails - Polish etc.....

Maybe you could ask your GP or a Pharmacist near you for further confirmation....

hTh
XX J XX

I would have said water pressure then safety and practicality?
Surely if she's an experienced diver and is allowded to dive deeper than the pressure against the nail coming up would be greater?

Hi there I am a scuba diver and the reason for the nail enhansment and tooth filling notice is that under pressure air crush air particles but upon surfaceing air expans and can cause filling in tooth to pop out and nails to pop off or hurt.
I hope this explains as best as i can

-------
Tricia

Just asked my husband about this as he is an experienced diver.

He says that although he has never heard of any requirement to disclose enhancements but the reason that this person was asked was not to have them is because of the danger of trapped air underneath the enhancement.

As the diver descends the increase in pressure causes the air to contract which would increase the stress in the nail and enhancement. As the diver ascends, the air expands and can cause the nail to be either popped off or the pressure to push on the natural nail causing pain.

He laughed when I asked him if it would make putting the wetsuit on difficult and asked if it made putting coat on any harder. HEHE saracastic bugger.

HTH

J

Ah Trini you beat me to the answer!!! I guess we were typing at the same time...

You explained it just fine.:)

J

Wow what a fab reply and I honestly never thought of air bubbles......
Cheers guys this is one for my note book............

Jan your hubby made me giggle, but ask him how comes, I have to struggled when I put on a wet suit....obviously there is a nack to it and not one I have with long nails lol..... i even have been known to put talc in it lol....but great reply Tricia and Jan xxxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Jan your hubby made me giggle, but ask him how comes, I have to struggled when I put on a wet suit....obviously there is a nack to it and not one I have with long nails lol.....

I asked him the question and he says "women always try to squeeze into clothes too small but if you need a hand getting it off , he's your man. :o "

I feel a divorce coming on HEHE

J

Tell him I got a clothes getting offer here in doors, its a clothes getting onner i need lol....
Bless him , but say thanks for the offer..LOl dont get a divorce, get even xx

Hi

It is to do with air pockets...

I am a regular diver and touch wood have never had any problems...

These roughy toughy macho divers are more than happy to assist in carrying heavy kit, wetsuit help etc.. hehe

Ca

ps By the way Brisa still looks great at 40m!!

Hey there

Great to hear ..........

Thanks for that.
XX J XX

Latest posts

Back