Why is my Gel lifting??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckyjane

Reaction score
No matter how much prep i do on my gel nails they ALWAYS lift a day or 2 later - i dont know what im doing wrong!!! My L+P is fine and i am doing the same preparation for that - Buffing of the shine, removing the cuticle and dehydrating before applying the tip, then also dehydrating before applying the gel - im making sure its not too thick and does not touch the cuticle but it is lifting the the top of the nail tip after one or 2 days and driving me crazy!

Advice would be much appreciated geeks....xxx:irked:

Are you capping the edge, there have been a few threads about this recently, try doing a search. By capping I mean taking the gel all the way to the free edge and just over the tip, the gel shrinks abit when it cures so by taking it to the edge it locks on the nail (this is the only way I can think to describe it!!)

Hope this helps

Beckyjane said:
No matter how much prep i do on my gel nails they ALWAYS lift a day or 2 later - i dont know what im doing wrong!!! My L+P is fine and i am doing the same preparation for that - Buffing of the shine, removing the cuticle and dehydrating before applying the tip, then also dehydrating before applying the gel - im making sure its not too thick and does not touch the cuticle but it is lifting the the top of the nail tip after one or 2 days and driving me crazy!

Advice would be much appreciated geeks....xxx:irked:

What gel are you using?

Ah thanks perfectips that mite have something to do with it - i will look into that - good advice, i never got told about that one!

Im using Nailite Gentle Gel, its seems good, goes on well and all but the only prob im having with it is the lifting, I will look into the area above and hopefully that will cure my problem - its driving me crazy at the moment and im finding it realy annoying that im spending alot of time on the nails and its still happening!!!!:cry:

where are you getting the lifting?
lifting is normally down to either insufficient prep or soft tissue contact, as you said your prep is thorough then I'd look at application, make sure you're not getting any on the surrounding skin.

Definitely sounds like you need to cap the free edge.
Are you using clear tips????
I know with the CND Brisa Gel, you can only use the clear tips or clear forms when sculpting as the UV light needs to penetrate through so it cures the gel.:)

with nailite gel, their instructions tell you that you have to buff the nail after your last application of gel they say this is a necessary step in sealing the product. are you doing this? if you are not, that may be the problem. so if you have to file or buff the gel to seal, some of the shine will be lost, so maybe that is why you might hesitate to do this, so you have to use a finishing gloss to regain the shine. try that and see how it works. young nails finishing gloss is very very good

Have to say I've not used Nailite so don't know how it is applied. HOwever usually with gels they have some form of bonding layer. This is a very thin layer of gel that you "work" into the prepped nail plate. I sort of stipple my gel in so that it works its way into the nooks and crannies of the nail plate that aren't visible to the human eye.

Gel does not work at all well on smooth surfaces and will lift straight off. Therefore by applying this bonding layer it acts almost like a double sided sticky tape between the nail plate and your builder layer.

Have you done any gel training as the application technique is sooooo different to l&p?!

Sassy Hassy said:
Have to say I've not used Nailite so don't know how it is applied. HOwever usually with gels they have some form of bonding layer. This is a very thin layer of gel that you "work" into the prepped nail plate. I sort of stipple my gel in so that it works its way into the nooks and crannies of the nail plate that aren't visible to the human eye.

Gel does not work at all well on smooth surfaces and will lift straight off. Therefore by applying this bonding layer it acts almost like a double sided sticky tape between the nail plate and your builder layer.

Have you done any gel training as the application technique is sooooo different to l&p?!

hi sassy just for your info,,, nailite does not use a bonding gel, their gels are all one step, just prep and go as a matter of fact they usually tell you leave some of the dust on (from filing) as it helps the gel to adhere to the nails better. as i said before their method of sealing the gel is to buff after you have removed the dispersion layer, then you buff further to achieve the high shine or you can use finishing gloss. also you should use alchohal to remove the dispersion layer fromthe gentle gel as they are soak off so using acetone might remove some of it. however for their other gels like the xhard gel you can use alchohal or acetone

ariaaland said:
hi sassy just for your info,,, nailite does not use a bonding gel, their gels are all one step, just prep and go as a matter of fact they usually tell you leave some of the dust on (from filing) as it helps the gel to adhere to the nails better.
don't mean to offend but I have never heard of anything so ridiculous...
how in the heck can leaving dust on the nail help with adhesion of product? it will do the opposite.

I have used quite a few different gels now, both one phase and 3 phase and always been taught to start with a very thin bonding layer. Therefore if BeckyJane is getting lifting then I would suggest trying this method as it really does help stop lifting.

Have to say I've never heard of leaving dust on! Sounds very odd to me!

I am floored with above reply.Who would in right mind advise you to leave dust on the nail in order to help product adhere better?I always properly prep the nail and remove all contaminants(dust and oil) using recomended product in order to avoid lifting.If you fail to do this you are leaving open door for potential problems such as lifting,bacterial infections etc.
Also I would like to see how they look like with all the dust underneath.
I used products from reputable companies and none of them,I say NONE of them would advise you to leave nails covered with dust in order to product adhere better.This technique was maybe OK when dinosaurs have had their nails done,but not today.
JMTC

Thanks for all your replies guys!

I have done a course in gel but they never mentioned a bonding layer - i was originally told to apply one thickish even layer, cure and wipe with lint free with acetone, then apply a second layer the same and cure again, wiping off - this has been the method i have used and the nails are lifting after a couple of days!!! I was also never told about capping the nail edge - i think i was ripped off!

Therefore, thanks to your advice i am going to try the bonding layer first and then cap the edges each time! - do you think this should do it?!:green:

Beckyjane said:
Therefore, thanks to your advice i am going to try the bonding layer first and then cap the edges each time! - do you think this should do it?!:green:

Hopefully! Just make sure you DON'T wipe off the sticky layer after your bonding layer, it needs to act like a double sided sticky tape like I said before. Let us know how you get on.

Will do, i'm doing a friend 2mrw (they all know im still training at the mo so they are cutting me some slack - they are my guinee pigs!) So il let you know how it goes, thanks so much for the advice Sassy, what would i do without this site!!!xxx:hug:

Hi Becky,

Hopefully all the input you get from this site should really help with the problems. Although I agree with the others about leaving dust on the nail - that just seems ridiculous (think that's how you spell it!! too early in the morning here in OZ)
Let us know how you get on with your guinea pigs :)

If your clients get a burning sensation, just get them to take their hand out for a couple of seconds then place back into the light. This is usually caused by the chemical reaction or if the layer is too thick.
I usually get mine to sit their hand in front of the lamp and then slowly place into the lamp.

Even if your gel is a one step gel, you still apply a bonding layer, you just use the one step gel, apply it thinly to the prep'd clean nail and work it into the nail ....this is your bonding layer.... you cure this and then proceed with your normal gel application...don't wipe the inhibition layer inbetween applications as this is needed to ensure 100% adhesion between the layers...
Leaving dust on the nail plate will just add gritty bits to the gel and makes a mess of your brush and doesn't make any sense at all....
To promote adhesion of your gel if your system recommends this, use a compatible primer, or so called bonding agent..... this gives the product a chemical bond as to a mechanical (roughed up nail plate) bond.....
and don't forget to cap the free edge..... and then have a voddy and orange....
HTH

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Even if your gel is a one step gel, you still apply a bonding layer, you just use the one step gel, apply it thinly to the prep'd clean nail and work it into the nail ....this is your bonding layer.... you cure this and then proceed with your normal gel application...don't wipe the inhibition layer inbetween applications as this is needed to ensure 100% adhesion between the layers...
Leaving dust on the nail plate will just add gritty bits to the gel and makes a mess of your brush and doesn't make any sense at all....
To promote adhesion of your gel if your system recommends this, use a compatible primer, or so called bonding agent..... this gives the product a chemical bond as to a mechanical (roughed up nail plate) bond.....
and don't forget to cap the free edge..... and then have a voddy and orange....
HTH

definitely don't forget the last bit!!

Latest posts

Back