Will wearing Shellac make nails weaker?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I LOVE my salon but I am disappointed in the shellac removal. All was fine until I opted to remove the shellac for a while. I am willing to try it again but my nails are too short right now (ugly) and so I don't want polish of any sort on them.

That's unfortunate, very sorry to hear that :-(

I am willing to try it again but my nails are too short right now (ugly) and so I don't want polish of any sort on them.

Honestly, I use Shellac to GROW my nails! No matter how short they are, they will look better Shellac'd! When my nails are really short, I use base coat, 1 coat of Negligee and top coat. It's not everyone's taste but I think they look great!

There's a pic in my Shellac album...check it out. HTH! :)

I LOVE my salon but I am disappointed in the shellac removal. All was fine until I opted to remove the shellac for a while. I am willing to try it again but my nails are too short right now (ugly) and so I don't want polish of any sort on them.

In my opinion, best thing to do if ur nails really r weaker as u say is to get a good Strengthener and apply daily. U can slack off to about every other day after about a month. Remove once a week and start over. If u keep them naked they r more prone to dry out and break. Rejuvacote is a great product. But any good quality Strengthener should help. U can apply it over Existing polish or to ur naked nail.

Good luck!

There has been considerable debate on this site with regards to strengtheners and if they really work.
So far, I think, the consensus is that they dehydrate the nail plate too much leading to more peeling and cracking.

I agree with the other poster.
Applying/removing Shellac PROPERLY at this point would only HELP in protecting the nails from further peeling and such.
Could always apply the very sheer Negligee which just adds a pinch of opalescence.

There has been considerable debate on this site with regards to strengtheners and if they really work.
So far, I think, the consensus is that they dehydrate the nail plate too much leading to more peeling and cracking.

I agree with the other poster.
Applying/removing Shellac PROPERLY at this point would only HELP in protecting the nails from further peeling and such.
Could always apply the very sheer Negligee which just adds a pinch of opalescence.

I luv how u like to oppose everything I post. :) Rejuvacote has moved mountains for my natural nail clients. Shellac only adds protection not strengthening proteins. But either method would work. I've never had a client experience dehydrating. Especially with regular use of solar oil. But that's just my two cents. :)

Here is the site if you would like to research this product.

http://duricosmetics.com/duri-cosmetics-rejuvacote-05-05.html

There are really only 2 things that professionals do that damage natural nails:

1. Filing on the surface
2. Picking/forcing a coating off

Frequent soaking in solvents can also damage natural nails to a degree by making them dry and brittle.

Natural nail strengtheners certainly do work, but not for everyone because evryones perception of strength seems to differ. Nail strengtheners will create additional cross links in the nail plate which makes nails stronger, but can also (especially over time) make them very brittle (which can make them easier to break).

Hope this help :)

Hi, having thought about my earlier post saying my nails were softer after i removed shellac, i think its the acetone and that i could have left it on longer, that way the shellac would of come off easier, i felt like i had to scrape it off instead of slide it off :)

I luv how u like to oppose everything I post. :) Rejuvacote has moved mountains for my natural nail clients. Shellac only adds protection not strengthening proteins. But either method would work. I've never had a client experience dehydrating. Especially with regular use of solar oil. But that's just my two cents. :)

Here is the site if you would like to research this product.

Duri Cosmetics Rejuvacote 0.61 oz

Stop looking for trouble where this is none. I do NOT oppose everything you post, else you'd have seen a lot more posts by now.
I'm making a statement of FACT. All she has to do is use the Search tool provided to see that it is in fact true that members of this site have debated the use of 'strengtheners' many times over.
Differences of opinion are not personal. Don't try to make it so.

As someone once pointed out, we are all have the right of free speech. We don't have to agree, we're simply sharing opinions and debating on products and methods. That IS the purpose of these forums.

Stop looking for trouble where this is none. I do NOT oppose everything you post, else you'd have seen a lot more posts by now.
I'm making a statement of FACT. All she has to do is use the Search tool provided to see that it is in fact true that members of this site have debated the use of 'strengtheners' many times over.
Differences of opinion are not personal. Don't try to make it so.

As someone once pointed out, we are all have the right of free speech. We don't have to agree, we're simply sharing opinions and debating on products and methods. That IS the purpose of these forums.

Wow u look like u r the one looking for trouble doll. Ur fact is certainly not that. :) check out the duri website. Not sure if u get nailpro where u r but if u do then look in the Feb addition. There is an article on Naked Nails that I just read that confirms what the Geek just stated. Nail strengtheners DO work. Now they aren't going to make your nails as hard as an enhancement but they surely do improve overall nail health and strength. Especially when paired with moisture and maintenance. It was just a suggestion for the original poster. When u tried to oppose my post I just simply replied with facts and links to back me up. Maybe u need a hobby doll instead of throwing ur weight around on a website :) best wishes hun!!! ::hug:: off to work! :D

Wow u look like u r the one looking for trouble doll. Ur fact is certainly not that. :) check out the duri website. Not sure if u get nailpro where u r but if u do then look in the Feb addition. There is an article on Naked Nails that I just read that confirms what the Geek just stated. Nail strengtheners DO work. Now they aren't going to make your nails as hard as an enhancement but they surely do improve overall nail health and strength. Especially when paired with moisture and maintenance. It was just a suggestion for the original poster. When u tried to oppose my post I just simply replied with facts and links to back me up. Maybe u need a hobby doll instead of throwing ur weight around on a website :) best wishes hun!!! ::hug:: off to work! :D

The "fact" I pointed out was that here on THIS forum, it's been DEBATED. That is indeed a FACT. Please read properly.
Here is ONE thread: http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/5820-nail-hardners.html search further to find more such threads.

Nails magazine: Nail Strengtheners: What

which in PART states:
Knowing the difference between weak, soft nails and brittle, fragile nails is crucial in finding the right remedy. Soft, weak nails need what is known in the industry as nail strengthener or nail hardener. These same nail treatments will make brittle nails notably worse

So keep googling and you will find MORE debate on the issue.

I did not say that it was one way or the other, I simply stated it was under debate. AND that I "think" (which does not mean I "know") that the general consensus is they dehydrate further.

It is our job on this forum to provide ALL the facts and information available. NOT to give one-sided points of view.

You're the one making it personal and having a trantrum.
I'm simply sharing information.
Get over yourself.

Just a little note - if Unique Tips and Victoria have more to 'debate' :confused: then please PM each other!

Hi - Can anyone tell me why it is very hard for me to remove the shellac? I dont have the cnd removal wraps so I use foil and cotton pads yet I have found I have left on for 10 minutes and the shellac wasn't really budging.......30 minutes later and it started to come off with the help of an orange stick! Does anyone know if this is the acetone I am using? Maybe its not strong enough or something? What is the best acetone to get or am i doing something wrong? Before anyone says anything the applications were not too thick as far as I could see :)

Thanks for help
Lisa

What kind of acetone are you using?
It sounds like it might be a 'buffered' acetone?
My Shellac comes off in 10min or less with pure acetone/unbuffered intended for soaking off enhancements.

What kind of acetone are you using?
It sounds like it might be a 'buffered' acetone?
My Shellac comes off in 10min or less with pure acetone/unbuffered intended for soaking off enhancements.

I hate to correct you V :) but as I understand it buffered acetone isn't less powerful just kinder and less dehydrating to the skin and nails...... Buffered acetone for use in the nail industry is completely different to pure 'industrial' acetone......

I use D-Solve and it is a buffered acetone designed for soaking off nail enhancements which it does very effeciently.......

I hate to correct you V :) but as I understand it buffered acetone isn't less powerful just kinder and less dehydrating to the skin and nails...... Buffered acetone for use in the nail industry is completely different to pure 'industrial' acetone......

I use D-Solve and it is a buffered acetone designed for soaking off nail enhancements which it does very effeciently.......

I guess it depends which buffered acetone you use?
My client tried using buffered (Sally Hansen), and it just turned it yellow.
I'm not using industrial acetone from the hardware store, in case that's what you thought:lol:
It's from my prod-distributor :wink2: who doesn't have D-solve.

sorry for the lack of clarification:hug:

Hi - Can anyone tell me why it is very hard for me to remove the shellac? I dont have the cnd removal wraps so I use foil and cotton pads yet I have found I have left on for 10 minutes and the shellac wasn't really budging.......30 minutes later and it started to come off with the help of an orange stick! Does anyone know if this is the acetone I am using? Maybe its not strong enough or something? What is the best acetone to get or am i doing something wrong? Before anyone says anything the applications were not too thick as far as I could see :)

Thanks for help
Lisa

Just in case you didn't know this, Shellac doesn't disappear after 10 mins. It breaks up into flakes that need gently removing with and orange stick. Then, sometimes it needs a quick wipe over with a pad with your remover on it.

Thanks for help
Lisa

I use d-solve and it comes off after 10 minutes, i used a different make once and it took a lot longer, I have read that if the shellac is left on longer than 2 weeks it can take longer to remove too.
hth :)

I use d-solve and it comes off after 10 minutes, i used a different make once and it took a lot longer, I have read that if the shellac is left on longer than 2 weeks it can take longer to remove too.
hth :)

I actually have not found it to be true that Shellac takes longer to soak off after 2 weeks. I am a pretty regular 2 week colour change but have gone to 3 weeks many times ... But that is the limit for me as I don't like the look of the nails with re-growth. In any case it always takes 10 minutes to remove Shellac with D-Solve regardless of 2 or 3 weeks if you have applied in the normal 4 layers.

What I do find is that many do not use the remover they are recommended to use and also, are 'tight' with the amount of remover they put on the pads. If you are tight then the heat of the fingers will tend to cause the remover to evaporate and there isn't enough left to penetrate the layers of product all the way to the base coat.

I can't figure out why trained technicians have to be told these things which are so obvious! Use enough of the right remover to complete the job of removal, and you will find that 10 minutes and sometimes less is the norm.

This is removal after 2 weels. I used Cotton wool on a roll and not cotton pads, cotton wool on a roll holds fits snuggly round the nail, a tad more contoured if you like. This is how also soak off Fibreglass and Silk Enhancements. 10 minutes and its ready to be taken off. If the clients hands are very cold, put a hand towel over the hands.

It flakes off after 10 minutes
nailsinlondon1-albums-shellac%26amp%3Bgelish-picture27974-shellac-removal-after-cuppa-just-fell-off.jpg

Coming off nicely, twist the wrap gently and pull
nailsinlondon1-albums-shellac%26amp%3Bgelish-picture27976-shellac-removal-how-easy.jpg

There you go and no damage
nailsinlondon1-albums-shellac%26amp%3Bgelish-picture27975-shellac-removal-clean-whistle.jpg

So are you using d-solve??

The acetone I use says its pure acetone for enhancement removal and I am not "tight" with it i soak the pad and soak again when i don't see it coming off.....very annoying so i want to try a different acetone....is d-solve what i should be using for shellac removal?

This is removal after 2 weels. I used Cotton wool on a roll and not cotton pads, cotton wool on a roll holds fits snuggly round the nail, a tad more contoured if you like. This is how also soak off Fibreglass and Silk Enhancements. 10 minutes and its ready to be taken off. If the clients hands are very cold, put a hand towel over the hands.

It flakes off after 10 minutes
nailsinlondon1-albums-shellac%26amp%3Bgelish-picture27974-shellac-removal-after-cuppa-just-fell-off.jpg

Coming off nicely, twist the wrap gently and pull
nailsinlondon1-albums-shellac%26amp%3Bgelish-picture27976-shellac-removal-how-easy.jpg

There you go and no damage
nailsinlondon1-albums-shellac%26amp%3Bgelish-picture27975-shellac-removal-clean-whistle.jpg

Latest posts

Back