Wording for price rise announcement - struggling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I am so overdue for a price rise its actually ridiculous.

The price of everything's gone up for me, yet still I am not cheap in my town....

anyway

I need to raise my prices, and want to put a message up near my nail desk and also on facebook but am struggling with the wording.

Can anybody help me out? x

When I updated mine I just said just want to announce that I am popping my prices up ever so slightly to take effect from 1st of April (sorry it's not an Aprils fool) I hope you understand. Thank you for your custom.

So I worded it to my regulars really as new clients if they don't want to pay your prices they can go elsewhere... It's your regulars you want to make sure will b ok with it (they usually are)

I wouldn't explain why you are putting up your prices tho... It's business. Tesco puts their bread up every week.. You are entitled to increase your prices too.

Short sweet and straight to the point will do it

Nicola! Xxx

Thank you and I know you are right.

Does anyone mention it outright to clients or do you just hope they read the sign? xx

Does anyone mention it outright to clients or do you just hope they read the sign? xx

Just say "listen up tightwads, dig a little deeper in those pockets, prices are increasing as I need more new shoes & handbags!!"
(That should just about do it!!)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I've always had a notice on the reception desk in my last salon informing of an increase. I also mentioned to every client who came in...as of xyz I'm having to raise my prices by a little to cover supplier prices going up... They are fine about it.

You will always get one who "puts on her parts" ranting she wished she had a pay rise. Just reply if you didn't you would we working for less, instead of the same :)

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I put my prices up I did it way ahead, so in July I started mentioning a September price rise. "Just to let you know we'll be having a slight price increase from 1st September" and most clients said "I don't really know what you charge". They come, have treatments and pay. All except one. When I said we were having an open day and showing off our very pretty new price lists, she said "don't tell me you're putting your prices up" so I smiled sweetly and said "yes I'm afraid so". She then had a go at me. She said I'm wrong to do it, her husband hasn't had a pay rise etc. I apologised and laughingly explained that my prices weren't linked to her husbands salary and my suppliers have increased prices several times which I have absorbed. She boycotted me for about 2 months then just started coming back. I'm still cheaper than anywhere else!

Vicki x

Thanks for this thread, been deciding myself how and when to word it !

I saw someone do it as a "Sorry we're raising our prices - but to ease the pain we're offering a discount for the next month if you mention X/use this code etc".

It was a tactical way of breaking the news, and also a great way of getting a bunch of new bookings (admittedly on old rate) to keep the calendar full :)

Never apologise for a price raise!

This was one of my memo's for my price increases. Just change the name of the salon.

In the very best interest of Virtues and all its staff members
I have been left with no other alternative than to increase our
service prices.

The past ten months has witnessed significant increases in
product and operational costs and Virtues has absorbed many
of the associated costs in retrospect.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for your understanding, loyalty and continued support for Virtues and its staff.

Seriously guys keep it professional. I am not one for writing with a "sorry".....

Last edited:
Thank you, that's fab.

I'm off to make meself a little notice to put up:p

The ones that grumble will be the newer ones, I guess, who haven't known it at the old price for 3 years

Think I will put the notice up now with effect from 1 July. Tesco don't give me any notice they're putting their prices up lol - mind you I don't do 3 for 2's either!

Thanks again for helping me sort out the wording xx

As of from xxxxxxx

We will be having a price adjustment (or price review) on our services.

Thank you for all your continued support.

Do you need to increase all of them?

Occasionally we decrease a couple that might haven't of offered value for money in the past. Or we changed our supplier on a service and got a better offer on product. So therefore it's a price review.

We explain not only supplier costs but we look at the amount that has been invested into training staff to give a better service.

Just put them up

As of from xxxxxxx

We will be having a price adjustment (or price review) on our services.

Thank you for all your continued support.

Do you need to increase all of them?

Occasionally we decrease a couple that might haven't of offered value for money in the past. Or we changed our supplier on a service and got a better offer on product. So therefore it's a price review.

We explain not only supplier costs but we look at the amount that has been invested into training staff to give a better service.

I've never heard of a supplier reduction that is passed onto the consumer.... a supplier/utilities reduction = more profit to the business, generally. But hey I'm not saying is wrong, just very unusual.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes, I've seen it before, hence a price review - our colour brand did it last year. They lowered some price and raised others.

We did the same not because they did, but some services needing the gap widing between them etc, and between levels of stylist. So we reviewed the prices. Not just told our clients they were increasing.

Just say "listen up tightwads, dig a little deeper in those pockets, prices are increasing as I need more new shoes & handbags!!"
(That should just about do it!!)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

haha i love it i i should get this on a wooden plaque and hang it in reception....

reminds me of somewhere i used to work we had this hung up (it wasn't a salon) although i don't think all clients would get my weird and wonderful humor

Attachments

• 51gz+TDaIJL._SX300_.jpg
    51gz+TDaIJL._SX300_.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 93
I think it's worth putting a bit of thought and effort into pricing. My view is that prices should be reviewed regularly and adjusted once a year.

I keep some the same and tweak the others. Sometimes it's a numbers game. I put eyebrow threading up by 25p and stuck 50p on some of our waxing prices. No-one minded, yet because we do a lot of eyebrow threads and waxing this gave us a worthwhile income boost.

Sometimes it's about being client focused - We do a few waxing packages and some of these were a bit too cheap so I looked at what people were actually coming in for and realised that the packages weren't that popular - they weren't the right combinations - so I put a couple of new packages together which saved clients money (but not as much as before) and encouraged others to add a third waxing service to their booking.

Sometimes it's about investment and refreshing your treatments - I also upgraded our post waxing products, bought a new digital duo heater and several pots of different wax and started talking about the wax to clients and explaining that we had several options, so we could select the best wax for the client. So overall I guess the price rise was reinvested back into the service for a few months but we found that our waxing clients started to talk to us about what else we offered and booked for new services.

Sometimes it's about marketing. Last year all our clients booked the cheapo pedi which wasn't offering the service level which most clients needed. So I dropped the reduced option off the menu and discounted the proper pedi. We bought new products, put a bit of effort and love into the pedi and we ended up with increased treatment sales. This year I've put the price back to what it had been last year so some of our clients are paying a 50% price increase over 12 months but We feel totally confident that our pedi is good value for money. As an unexpected bonus We notice that the demand for our luxury pedi is taking off and we have already done more of these this year than through the whole of last year!

Sometimes it is about customer choice and education. We kept facials the same price but introduced a 75 min bespoke facial and a mini 30 min facial and explained what the difference was. Quite a few clients upgraded and the new ones have been just as interested in the more expensive treatment.

Sometimes it's about managing costs. Some of our products are ridiculously expensive so I have been looking for alternative suppliers and products. We have brought in a new gel polish range and been quite upfront with customers that it was cheaper. We dropped the treatment cost and although we lost one or two clients we gained more treatments than we lost. We've had a few complaints as the quality isn't quite as good but we've learned to manage expectations and overall it has been a positive experience as gel polish treatments have increased I have been able to buy more colours which customers appreciate - they understand why I swopped and can see the pros and cons.

We've also put some effort into managing product wastage. We've swopped pump dispensors for sprays, snipped the top off containers to really get every scrap of gloopy product.

So price for me is about being fair to yourself and the customer.

Latest posts

Back