Work just introduced 'no nail polish rule'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails Unveiled

Reaction score
I work 2 days a week as a nurse in a primary care setting and until now we've been able tof have nail polish (gel in my case). I always try to keep mine fairly subtle although do occasionally do a bit of stamping /nail art/glitter etc. But when I'm not nursing I'm running a mobile nail business and see my nails as a form of advertising! I could totally understand if I was in a very clinical area but I now do very little actual patient contact and what contact I do have doesn't involve more than a plaster application or dishing out a few paracetamol so gel really isn't an infection control ris known in this setting! I've not had bare nails for over 2 years! Can't go back to having short and boring nails!
Not sure what the point of this post is other than to rant but how can I convince my boss this is an unnecessary rule? Lol

If it's come down from infection control I don't think you will change your managers mind.

No its not come from infection control, it's basically come because at the Scottish beauty show I had brighter than normal nails with a bit ofurther glitter ands 3d basso at on my nails, one of my colleagues (also does mobile nails on the side) had done hers a bit more fancy too. Went into work the next day and even said 'oh in taking these off tonight, wouldn't usually wear such a bright colour' then next thing we've had an email about it! She's never had a problem before and is a bit of a control freak! In a previous job I was in a&e and would never have worn anything son I totally respect the infection control issue but it's a school I work in so really not an issue here! That's why I'm annoyed as it seems very reactive to me having a bit ott nails fit just one day!
Oh well! Sorry I'm boring myself now! Ha ha

*3d nail art*

Does the school have strict uniform policies and allow children to wear nail polish?
I'm wondering if a parent has complained?

It's an all boys school. Bit is very possible someone had complained! I'm just gutted at the prospect of no nails anymore!

Could you maybe get away with just having a clear gel polish or very natural French with maybe a soft white?

Depending on the wording of the email, I'd assume that it was a formal instruction rather than a polite request and if the OP went ahead and applied some polish, it could be seen as deliberate provocation and she could find herself subject to a written warning.

Need to master this baby boomer look pronto! lol

Latest posts

Back