Working from home to a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millie123

Reaction score
Hi

I’m really looking for some good advice.

I currently work from home doing nails, brows and lashes.

I find messaging clients and dealing with last minute cancellations has started to become quite wearing. I know if i worked for somebody else this wouldn’t effect me directly and would no longer be an issue.

Do I take the plunge? Have people made this transition?

I’d also want to work part time do salons accommodate this? What would I expect from a wage (would it be minimum wage)

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help x

Is there no way around it ie. Taking deposits etc? Do you think you will find it easy to work for an employer after been your own boss? Your wage will depend on your experience im sure

Is there no way around it ie. Taking deposits etc? Do you think you will find it easy to work for an employer after been your own boss? Your wage will depend on your experience im sure

Thank you

I hadn’t thought of wages based on experience so that was helpful.

I feel like it’s not even the money I’m bothered about it’s just the messing around and being let down when I have organised childcare etc. If I knew I was working set hours and set days without the uncertainty I think I’d feel better. It has more of a direct impact when its your own business whereas if I was employed and someone cancelled it wouldn’t matter to me. I think I just take everything personally.

I really can’t decide if I would like working for an employer now so I’m just trying to put some feelers out for a better mind set

Is this really you questioning whether employment or self employment would suit you best?

If you decide to stay self-employed then you have to keep focused on building your business over a period of several years. This means that you have to be committed to:
  • being pro-active with your advertising and social media
  • maintaining a website (a free one will do)
  • accepting that you will have busy days and quiet days
  • accepting that cash flow will be very up and down and budgeting for this
  • eliminating 'no shows' by implementing appropriate strategies (lots of threads on salon geek about this)
  • accepting that there is necessary time spent on organising / re-arranging clients' appointments
  • maintaining accounts & submitting a tax return

Working for a salon would still involve phoning clients when they don't turn up, promoting treatments, meeting your targets on services and retail, going on further training to keep up to date etc etc

Have you any experience of working in a busy salon yet? The reality might be quite different to how you think it is!

Lastly, over time you will make more money working from home and if you have a growing family then the flexibility of working your own hours will be invaluable.

Have a think about what you are best at and then decide where your strengths lie.

Hope this helps to clarify some thoughts for you.

Latest posts

Back