Working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
I currently rent a room within a hair salon but since having my baby I can't commit to many hours and everything is pretty much all over the place.

I am only doing two half days and the last two have been a complete joke due to last minute cancellations from about 4 clients so I barely made my rent.

Obviously I am not in a position to be going to work just for the fun of it, I need the money so have now decided that I want to work from home as it means I can be more flexible with the hours I do.

I know I have to let my home insurance know, what about council etc ? Anyone else I need to inform ?

This is really what you asked but just wondering... Are you working from home so you can do the hours you want, or so you are close to your baby?
If your going to be being a mum and your work at the same time what if the baby needs you while your with the client?

I have childcare sorted, my boyfriend can have him mornings & his sister is going to have him when im working then when he is slightly older he can go to nursery one day a week.

Local authority regulations vary across the country. You should call your local planning department and they will be able to clarify. It would help if your neighbours have no objections.

To be honest, when I worked from home and was only doing one client at a time, and not inundated with cars on the driveway, etc, I didn't let my planning department know. Sometimes they create more problems. In any case, if anyone did contact you from the local authority, you could always put things right then.

Good luck! xx:hug:

I second what Urban Geek has suggested, as long as you have the right insurance cover (try Swinton) it's probably worth skipping the council for now and if you plan to grow your business from home later then look at it then.

Just a tip I have found useful, when I lost the use of a receptionist I was missing calls and had a list of people to call back so I found an online booking system called www.appointment-diary.com it's perfect for home working and only £10 a month!

Good luck hun! x

I work from home and do some mobile as well. I have household cover with the Halifax and have not informed the council. Usually they are not bothered as long as you do not erect any signage outside your home and as long as your clients have enough parking and no neighbour objects. To be honest with only one client in at a time there should be no problems as long as you show consideration to your neighbours.:)

Just a reminder that when calling your house insurance, be careful how you word things. Some companies do not like you running a business from home, and have been known to cancel policies on the spot if that is what you are doing. You should call them and say you are thinking of doing it, to see what they say. That way, if they have any objctions, you have time to shop around.

Thanks everyone,

I am actually quite excited about working from home :green:

Got to decide on a couch now !

I disagree about not informing the council, they are not the type of people you want to annoy.

If you dedicate a part of your house to business use you will have to pay business rates for it. I believe you'll also have to comply with health and safety regulations and inspections etc.

A house insurance will not cover you for business use, but as mentioned above, tread very carefully or you may end up with none.

I work from home, (a cabin in my garden) and my house insurance wasnt really interested as clients didnt come into my home. The local authority told me that as I only had one client at a time, i wasnt breaking and rules as far as they could see. I think they all vary so its hard to say.
Working from home is def the best thing I ever did! Good luck xx

I was told that as long as I didn't have a large amount of people in on one day and that the room has dual purpose, it wasn't a problem.
Although my room is set out as a treatment room I also store my ironing in it (obviously I remove this before I have clients:)) and on occasion its doubled as a spare bedroom for the odd night. I also work mobile sometimes for pamper party's and for therapeutic sessions in a mental health care home, so the council can see this from my website and literature.
My house insurance are fine about it and it didn't even put my premiums up. I have all my health and safety stuff in place's so if anyone wants to check it I'm organised already.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back