Working in care homes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanBerr

Proprietor of JBNailcare
Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I've recently started my business again after taking a career break and would like to offer my services into residential care homes. I've left my details with the Care Managers and will follow them up again in a few days. Has anyone had experience of working in care homes and how did you adjust your procedure to suit their needs. JB

Ive always fancied this but i applied to volunteer in a Domestic Violence & sexual abuse centre- offering beauty treatments cant wait to start as i have to have some training first incase they open up to me so i know the procedures

My flatmate and I do this regularly at a care home in Woolwich. We basically try to do the same treatment that we would give at our respective salons, maybe allowing a bit more time for chit chat. As much as they love getting their nails done, they sure love a bit of a natter!

My flatmate and I do this regularly at a care home in Woolwich. We basically try to do the same treatment that we would give at our respective salons, maybe allowing a bit more time for chit chat. As much as they love getting their nails done, they sure love a bit of a natter!
Do you have many clients who have arthritus or diabetic

I used to provide free manicure/ polish to my local aged care centre when I was 14-17. Wednesday afternoons was "beauty time" and I loved to listen and learn all about the stories of their life and give them a fresh feeling.
My high school had a basic cosmo class that I had completed, and the school arranged for me to volunteer to broaden my skills.
I would like to do it now again as a professional but I have been unable to (health reasons). Talk to the DON or DOC (director of nursing/ director of care) They may be willing to let you come in and provide your service at a charge, but I haven't done that, only volunteered.
Make sure you dont get intimidated if they have an alzhimers/dementia wing, these clients are the most in need of a freshen up and will appreciate it more than you can tell. .

Ive always fancied this but i applied to volunteer in a Domestic Violence & sexual abuse centre- offering beauty treatments cant wait to start as i have to have some training first incase they open up to me so i know the procedures
Sounds interesting good luck

Do you have many clients who have arthritus or diabetic
Some of them (also at the salon). We don't do any cuticle work with any diabetics (which is most of them!) and give gentle hand massages to any suffering from arthritis - which they appreciate very much.

Some of them (also at the salon). We don't do any cuticle work with any diabetics (which is most of them!) and give gentle hand massages to any suffering from arthritis - which they appreciate very much.
Thanks everyone for you replies been intersting thread.

I am thinking about doing this. How did you go about it? I was thinking of emailing care homes or do you think it would be better to phone or go in person?

I am thinking about doing this. How did you go about it? I was thinking of emailing care homes or do you think it would be better to phone or go in person?
I visited the care homes in person then when they asked me what trts I did I would then give out my treatments & price list info with my business card and then follow up again in 2wks by email introducing myself again & asked if they had read my literature and was there any interest from the residents. It takes alot of time & persistence but I haven't given up trying. Good luck

Love this thread I imagine you'd have to be DBS checked and cleared too. How about client record cards how would that work? being of sound mind to fill it in/meds etc? Xx

Love this thread I imagine you'd have to be DBS checked and cleared too. How about client record cards how would that work? being of sound mind to fill it in/meds etc? Xx
Yes you do require a DBS check but as self employed NT we cannot apply for this ourselves so the nursing home has to apply for it some may pass the charge onto yourself (£45?).

These are the guideline requirements set by my Insurance company (The Guild) regarding client records:-
You must retain them for a period of at least 7 years from the date of treatment, and in the case of a minor, for 7 years
after they attain majority.

Informed consent - Where a client is not able to give their informed consent due to illness, consent can be given by a person or relative who has been appointed by a court of law. If the client has no relatives or guardian, consent can be given by a qualified medical practitioner working in the home. Treatments must take into account the clients well being and safety and adapted to suit the clients requirements. eg confined to a bed.

Hope this was useful

Latest posts

Back