Worst treatments you have had as a client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolla

Reaction score
I've posted here as it's not a 'Chat' topic - thought we could share our worst/memorable experiences of going for treatments so that we can avoid doing the same things ourselves in our businesses... A good reference also for people starting up in the industry and what NOT to do!

My worst experience was going for a massage at a therapists house. It's a bit long so I'll post bit by bit.

She answered the door and when I went in her husband and son were both sitting on the stairs having a conversation. She shuts the door and introduces me to them both (?!) then all three of them start having a conversation in another language which I don't understand, to which they keep looking at me and giggling! Very uncomfortable! Didn't even want to be introduced to them as id gone to switch off!

My recommendation would be to not have family members standing about when your client arrives as it can be a bit intimidating.

The therapist led me through to the dining room which was her treatment room. It was very cold and the washing machine was on in the kitchen next door so it was noisy despite the relaxation music that was on in the room.

I had booked in for a full body Swedish massage - on consultation she tells me that she'll do what she thinks I need which could just be a back massage! Im not the arguing type so just agreed but felt really upset coz id gone for a full body! I did end up just getting a very gentle and light back massage (rub!) and left very disappointed.

I've just recently had a cracking set of buckets sculpted to my nails.
I always advise my clients to speak up if they're not happy with any treatment. What did I do?

Nothing!

My first concern was the trimming of ALL the cuticle, then the buffing of the nail, then the 8, yes 8 because I was counting! layers of bio sculpture gel and then the 90 degree angled edges.
Bearing in mind, she didn't even ask what shape I wanted.
My word they were so thick I couldn't help but laugh every time I looked at them 
I blame no-one but myself because I should've said something.

My worst beauty treatment to date was when I went for a crystal clear facial earlier this year. To begin with the therapist didn't fill out a consultation form and just took me straight into the treatment room, asked me to lie on the bed then started the treatment.
To cut a long story short my face felt like I'd had most of my skin removed after the treatment and I did tell her it was hurting me quite a bit while she was doing it.:eek:
I looked like Id been badly sun burnt. My face was so raw up to about 4 days afterwards. I've had a crystal clear a couple of times in the past and although my face went a little red as I expected it to be it was nothing like this.
It's put me right off getting another for now.:Scared:

I did tell her it was hurting me quite a bit while she was doing it.:eek:

Did she acknowledge this and do anything about it? If a client told me something was hurting id stop and make relevant adjustments!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My worst beauty treatment to date was when I went for a crystal clear facial earlier this year. To begin with the therapist didn't fill out a consultation form and just took me straight into the treatment room, asked me to lie on the bed then started the treatment.
To cut a long story short my face felt like I'd had most of my skin removed after the treatment and I did tell her it was hurting me quite a bit while she was doing it.:eek:
I looked like Id been badly sun burnt. My face was so raw up to about 4 days afterwards. I've had a crystal clear a couple of times in the past and although my face went a little red as I expected it to be it was nothing like this.
It's put me right off getting another for now.:Scared:

I offer Skinbase microdermabrasion and ask about 3 times how it is feeling, I have been for treatments when products have stung and felt too embarrassed to say anything, so I try to check often but not too often as to how things are feeling.

I haven't been for many treatments, so I don't have any stories to tell.

X

underarm wax from my friends salon, newbie qualified. I didnt moan as its dishearting especially when your new to it all. But i tried to give her some pointers on stretching omg did it hurt! i was going out that evening and well i couldnt fist pump! lol! xoxo

I've just recently had a cracking set of buckets sculpted to my nails.
I always advise my clients to speak up if they're not happy with any treatment. What did I do?

Nothing!

My first concern was the trimming of ALL the cuticle, then the buffing of the nail, then the 8, yes 8 because I was counting! layers of bio sculpture gel and then the 90 degree angled edges.
Bearing in mind, she didn't even ask what shape I wanted.
My word they were so thick I couldn't help but laugh every time I looked at them 
I blame no-one but myself because I should've said something.

This happened to me a few weeks ago! I asked for sculpted acrylic almond shape and ended up with chunky nails that looked terrible! I asked for a glitter tip but she did them too far up my nail and you could see the glitter underneath through the top :mad: I asked if she could file them down as they were way to bulky but I could of done a better job myself! Her file was crap & full of dust and she butchered the side of my nails by filing them too much & now they are red and sore 4 weeks on ): wish I'd of said something during the service but I am a wuss :/ xx

This happened to me a few weeks ago! I asked for sculpted acrylic almond shape and ended up with chunky nails that looked terrible! I asked for a glitter tip but she did them too far up my nail and you could see the glitter underneath through the top :mad: I asked if she could file them down as they were way to bulky but I could of done a better job myself! Her file was crap & full of dust and she butchered the side of my nails by filing them too much & now they are red and sore 4 weeks on ): wish I'd of said something during the service but I am a wuss :/ xx

LOL I remember! Xx

I went to the local college for a bikini wax when pregnant as figured this would be easier than using a bic at the hospital to remove the neccesary hair before my cesarean, my friend also needed some "models" the tutor saw me and said, we have not a pregnant lady in before so do you mind if info it and few of the girls can watch, anyway I sat them embarrassed while 20 16-25 yr olds watched!!! Thank goodness I didn't want anything more done so could keep my knickers on!!

I went for a haircut years ago and when I got there I realised that the hair dresser was someone who I didn't particularly like, she'd started trouble with friends of mine and was basically a loud mouth who was known in our town as a bit of a b***h... Anyway I thought oh well what can she do she's at work. She cut my hair horribly took off much more than I'd asked and hacked it and it looked awful. Me being a wuss said nothing and went home and wore a cap for about a month. Turns out the next day a friend of mine went to the salon and heard the girl slagging me off saying I was sleeping with one of her mates blokes (I genuinely wasnt) my friend spoke up for me bless her but I'm guessing she did my hair crap because she thought that! I still don't like her and I laugh now as her life's gone a bit rubbish lol.. Karma! X

I love facials...they are my favourite treatment to give and my absolutely favourite treat.

I booked a very expensive and high end facial with a home based therapist who has a good reputation.

She took me to the treatment room whereupon I had a brief consultation and then lay on the couch in a untidy spare bedroom. The blind was up, no candles, no blanket and I was told not to bother to remove my top which surprised and disappointed me as I like to remove my top half, get comfortable and snuggle down. I also think a facial should include the decollete and it was clear that mine wasn't going to get any attention!

A very fast cleanse and exfoliation took place with her humming and chatting throughout and I had a very quick hand and face massage before she applied a mask which she left on for about 20 long and very boring minutes whilst she sat in the corner of the room working on her Ipad. There was some really awful music playing quietly...some band or other which I hate because I don't like listening to "words" when I am trying to relax.

She finished off with some skin products and voila, that was it....a total of 45 minutes by my watch when her website said it the treatment time was 60 minutes.

I was so disappointed. I had been really looking forward to a relaxing facial when what I got was a very brisk and clinical treatment instead...not to mention short! The skin products were fine but the actual treatment and client care were rubbish.

I know I should have complained but quite frankly I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I would never, ever go back.

On the positive side, it was a lesson on how NOT to treat clients and just reinforced good practices where my clients are concerned!

PB
x

After my therapist had decide what massage I needed (!) she did the back massage using the same light effleurage movement for most of the treatment. She didn't ask if Id like any more pressure etc to which Id of said Yes! Lots!

So im listening to the washing machine on spin cycle when her cat comes bursting into the room. I like cats but not whilst im having a treatment. She says 'oh do you like cats?' and even though i love them, i didn't want it sitting and looking at me from up under the face hole. So I said not really im more of a dog person. She didn't say anything and carried on.

5 mins later the cat jumps up onto the bed and snuggles down on the back of my legs on the back of my knees...she didn't remove him so after a few seconds I let her know, in case she hadn't seen the big ginger moggy, that the cat was on my legs and wriggled a bit to try to get it off. She giggled and said 'oh that's jack, he's very friendly'...and left him to it. So there he stayed for the rest of the treatment coz i didn't have the balls to tell her to get him off. Good job I secretly liked cats or wasn't allergic. Should have said I was allergic!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

ooh I have had a bad experience actually.

When i was 8.5 months pregnant with my 3rd child i went to have my hair done. 3/4 head of highleights and a trim. My daughter was born in August 2009 so it would have been around the middle of July.

She was runing 20 minutes late which im ok with, just about.

I sat down in the chair everything was fine had all my foils put in, nice conversation etc as uauy (id be going here for about a year) then instead of leaving me where i was with a magazine and a cup of tea, i got move to another seat and had this heater thing put on my head, she came to check on me 5 minutes later and i said i was too hot being so pregnant, and in july and she told me i had to stay there as she had to make up time for over running on her last client!! I litterally died under there!

I never went back again.

As a finishing touch to my memorable back massage, she took a spherical crystal from the window ledge and rolled it all over my back. A few things wrong with this;

She hadn't asked me if I would be ok with the use of crystals during my treatment... I was taught that you must ask the client as not everyone is into crystal work.

It hurt where she was rolling/cluncking it over my hips and scapula...was probably the most pressure she'd used in the whole session.

It was December and with the crystal having been sat on the window ledge it was FREEZING COLD! I did tell her it was cold but she carried on.

When she left the room I couldn't wait to get my clothes back on and get de-moggied and warm! Needless to say I never went back!

A few years ago I had gone to a local salon which I had been using regularly for months. Just one girl who owned salon and worked there. I went in for a bikini wax the day before I was due to go on holiday. I went into her room 5 minutes early and sat down in the waiting area as her door was closed and clearly with a client. She came out a bit late but that didnt bother me. By this time another client had come in and was sitting waiting with me. When the therapist came out the client next to me said "oh i dont know who's first now" and with a red angry face and without looking at me she flicked her hand in my direction and said "you will be next now as she is late so can wait". I was mortified and wish now i had just got up and left but was a bit shocked she'd said it and doubted myself about the appointment time ...maybe i had got it wrong..was furious when i got home and looked at my appointment card and i hadnt been late at all and for not speaking up...never went back tho despite several fliers sent to my home.

I went to a salon above a "dental spa" in a town close to my home a few months ago. I went for an LED Facial, to see how other companies do it (As I teach this and wanted to do a bit of reserach into other companies machines!). I wasn't expecting a very hands on treatment...but what I got was a very hands OFF treatment!!!

The therapist who saw me was in sweatpants and an airtex t-shirt...but they also did vibroplates etc, so I let it slide..! She took me into a massive room that had a couch at one end, with the LED machine next to it. The couch was bare, no couch cover, no blankets, no towels, and nothing to cover me with either. It was the middle of summer but that's not the point!!!

No consultation at all, just a sales pitch to try to get me to upgrade to a better mask than the one that was included..which I declined!

I lay down, she stood next to the couch, facing me, and she proceded to "tickle" my face with a baby wipe..!! No nice cleanser, no warm mitts or sponges, and absolutely no human contact at all. I had worn a bit of makeup that day and it didn't remove even half of it...a very half hearted attempt!

I got a serum with my facial, which she pumped out of the bottle directly onto my face..! A line on my forehead, down my nose, line on each cheek and a squidge on my chin. Then, with a tissue, she sort of smeared the squidges of serum all over my face. Not a nice feeling, it was almost as if she didn't want to touch me at all!

She put goggles on, put the LED canopy over my face, and left me there for 30 minutes. On my own. No music. No blanket. No nice realxing massage. My God was I bored!!!!! Thought I'd have a look around the room but the goggles stopped me seeing much. After 30 minutes it beeped loudly....and after a minute she came back in, removed LED canopy and goggles, and smeared a thick night cream on my face, even though it was about 11am on a sunny day (Similar method to serum squidges, but with a spatula dipped into the jar, on my face, and back into the jar...nice!). Told me to rub the cream in myself.

I left, and will NEVER go back. How awful!!!!!

I have had two bad hair experiences......

The first one was at a very well known salon and as soon as the stylist said how about colouring my hair I cringed as hers was purple.

Anyway she convinced me that this very dark red would suit me, so I thought OK go for it, she will know what looks nice!

Well I could have cried when I saw the colour, but just smiled politely and said it was nice (as we all seem to do). Much to the disbelief of my boyfriend at the time, who usually lied to keep the peace and said it looked terrible!!!:rolleyes:

Second time I had gone to my local salon for a trim with my young son and the stylist immediately said I know how to cut your hair (it was long and very curly) and proceeded on twisting it round and cutting chunks of it off.

Then as I was looking in the mirror at my son she said do you want your fringe cutting? (it was below my chin) Before I had a chance to say no, just trimming, she had lobbed part of it off by my eyebrows! Well I was distraught and said I didn't want it cutting, but she just said it is too late now and carried on!!

I ended up looking like some sort of poodle with lots of straggly bits and an extremely short weird looking fringe!:eek:

After a week I could not stand it any longer and I cut it all off myself and had a very short cut that I gelled back until it grew out and is now long again!

It took me 4yrs to go to a hairdresser again, which I did by recommendation and he is still my hairdresser now, even though I have lived 2hrs away. I totally trust what he says and just for the record I am blonde now and it suits me!!!!:biggrin:

Last edited:
i have had several bad hair experiences!!

i went for a victoria beckham bob and had the back sheved with a number 2 half way up my head!!

another i went for a trim as i was growing and she cut 3 inches off wonky!!so had to be corrected and went even shorter!!!

had my bikini line waxed and she didnt stretch at all....i was so bruised!!!xx

Latest posts

Back