would i be mad to rent a room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa-marie

Reaction score
hi
my name is lisa, i qualified in nails last june and started being self-employed part-time mobile last august
tbh i hate being mobile, lugging my kit around, going into strangers houses, people not taking me seriously (seeing to their cats, kids running roung, making me wait...)

i was working full-time & doing my business part-time on the side so i havent built up many clients, but i have just been made redundant from my full-time job for the 2nd time in 8 months and i'm thinking maybe it's time to get my business off the ground properly!
i've just looked in my local paper and theres a new salon opening near me, i'm going to look at a room tomorrow she wants to rent out to a nail tech/beauty therapist. i currently do nails and i'm going college 1 day a week from september to do beauty.

am i mad to be looking at a room? i dont know if it is worth taking the risk!
and what is a good price for renting a room in a hairdressers?
any advice welcome
x

Yes you are Mad!!.....but in a good way:)

This could just be perfect timing for you, and going by the nails I see in your album you have the talent and skills to build a good nail business. You should find it much easier to do so in a fixed place where your clients know where and when to get you.
The fact that you will be able to add on beauty treatments in the future is also an added bonus.

Obviously you need to see the room first, but I hope it is suitable.
As for rent....plenty threads on here, it is something though that has a lot of variations depending on location.

Good Luck.

You have not given me any reasons for not going for it. You have built a wee client base so you won't be starting completely from scratch.

You could always negotiate a trial period of say 3 months with the option of walking away after that, with a notice period of say 1 month.

Rental varies across the country depending on how affluent an area is, how well positioned the salon and how up market the salon. However, a good starting point would be 20%-25% of your takings for rent with you providing your own products, etc.

Go for it girl and good luck!:)

thank you for all of your advice
i've been to look at the shop, and i'm a little bit gutted really, theres no specified parking and it really put me off, if its busy along the road theres no car park close to it! (plus a few other salons locally that are near car parks) so i've decided to stick it out being mobile & working from my kitchen/utility room for a bit, probably going to wait until i've got beauty qualifications and then start looking again.

Latest posts

Back