Would you have your salon in a TV show?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sa.davis

Reaction score
So I got a very random email/call this morning. Asking if my salon can be used for a channel 5 programme The big british benefit handout or something along them lines it is on its second series. It was the show where benefit family's get there full £26,000 of benefits in one payment & they can spend it how they like . I took their phone call, I have been asked if a couple can come and have treatments and they can film it, using their own money. I have very mixed feelings about this, do I want my salon in this kind of programme or should I see it as free advertising ?
What would you do if you had this offer ? I am worried that it would put my clients off.

Go with your gut. If it doesn't feel right then don't do it. You will no control over how they edit the program and you don't know if the participants will have a 'script' to follow. They may cause a scene for the sake of the cameras for 'interesting' TV
If you think it could be good advertising you should get a contract drawn up with a list of your requirements i.e you get to see and approve the final edit before it goes to air, but they may not agree to that though...

I actually watched the first season of this programme. I guess it depends what type of clientele you have but stick to your gut. Not sure I'd do it personally.

I wouldn't do it for that particular show but my salon would make an awesome tv series :D la hair type thing :rolleyes:

I'd be worried that they would portray beauty treatments as a waste of money

I'd be worried that they would portray beauty treatments as a waste of money
That's what I was thinking a bit of entertainment to cause some drama for the viewers to get angry that they are spending tax money on being pampered. And my salon would be in the front of it !

I actually watched the first season of this programme. I guess it depends what type of clientele you have but stick to your gut. Not sure I'd do it personally.
I am unsure how the clients would
View it, but I have spent the last three years trying to portray luxury high end treatments, I don't want a bad decision to effect all my hard work.

I am unsure how the clients would
View it, but I have spent the last three years trying to portray luxury high end treatments, I don't want a bad decision to effect all my hard work.
I was going to say, I suppose it depends on your market.

If you are trying to portray luxury, high end treatment then do not touch it with a bargepole. I assume that your prices are in line with the image this creates in my head, and I doubt (rightly it wrongly) that it would go down well with clients - existing and potential.

I agree with most ( if not all!) posters here.

The general trend of the program is people on benefits will blow all their money on trashy things. Or blow it on classy things and be foundering out of their depth. ( Think people on benifits at a Polo match) - no offence meant by that example.
Producers will cut and edit material to produce stories that fit their own adgenda, I doubt they want to portray a lovely high end salon were clients are treated with dignity, respect and get great treatments. :)

I wouldn't do it as you have no idea or control on how it'll be played out.

I watched the first series and one of the lady's went to a beauty salon to get her brows wax and it was fine she was just getting herself ready for work and they didn't make the salon look anyway negative.
I would advice you to watch the first series and you can see for yourself, personally I would take the opportunity.

Latest posts

Back