Would you think this is strange? could it work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
im in a bit of a dilemma ..

my faithful little car has just died on me, and i wont be able to replace her in the immediate future .. business is new and we're basically living week to week at the moment

i cant drive my husbands car as it is much bigger with power stearing, i have tried many times and it brings me out in a cold sweat!

the problem is i offer a "mobile" bridal makeup service and am about to embark on eyelash extension training also .. so im now a mobile mua with no means of transport and several bookings all within 30 mile radius coming on up the next few months

my husband has sugested he takes me to the bookings and either just waits in the car until im finished (im usually there approx 2-3 hrs so its going to be a bit of a nightmare for him) or pick me up later, he could perhaps do some shopping in the nearest town etc ..

thankfully most of my bookings tend to be local so he could actually just drop me off and go back home, and its not as if im a mobile beauty therapist flitting here, there and everywhere - plus i earn enough from each booking to make it worth my husband being inconvenienced for a couple of hours on a saturday, lol

but what would the customer think? would they find it strange my husband is sitting in his car outside their house? they my think he's stalking the bride, lol

I wouldn't worry too much about it hun,
if i travel out locally to teach any courses my other half drives me there and sometimes he waits in the car or some times he goes off and finds some thing to do,
then he collects me when I'm finished (my chauffeur lol)
people don't think anything about it, i just explain that i don't drive,
you would just explain that your car is off the road for the time been, hth :hug:

I think you should really try to overcome your fear of his car. Have him take you out in it a few times, or even have a lesson in a similar car. I know it sounds harsh but sometimes you just have to get over these things to move forward in your life.

I agree with Calla. Get your husband to take you out a few times round the block to get used to it. I've usually only driven bigger cars and i wouldn't be without power steering!
My husband drives a mondeo estate diesel and the first time i drove that i kinda kangarooed it down the road-lol. I can drive it now though if i have to. Just takes a few practice runs and i'm sure you'll be fine.

thank you for your replies ..
yes i guess i should give it another go, its just that i havent been driving that long also ..
i was actually still quite nervous driving my little run around to the makeup trials
i so wanted to become a make up artist, i took the training before i could even drive and passed around the same time i qualified
im now starting to get bookings for weddings further affield, perhaps i could get my husband to take me to those, and drive his car to the local bookings
my friend is a mua in london and doesnt drive at all, she just jumps on a tube - mind you most of her bookings are for tv and fashion shoots etc

I agree that you should try to learn to drive his car. Why don't you ask him to give you some lessons in it? He can show you the ropes and you can drive it for a while with him as a passenger, but there to give you advise if you need it?

This will give you far more independence and allow him to enjoy his time off without being cooped up in a car waiting for you to finish work. Honestly, I think to should 'take the bull by the horns' and give it a go. x

If you are a new driver - why don't you think about a pass plus driving course. It helps to smooth out any issues and make you feel more confident. I took some more lessons 2 years ago even though I had been driving for over 20 years. When I had my son I let my husband do all the driving and I lost a lot of confidence. By getting your husband to take you everywhere will not solve your predicament long term.:hug:

I don't think they would think he was stalking. I'm sure if you explained, they'd likely invite him in for a cup of tea or something LOL

BUT you really do need to drive.
HOWEVER... don't let hubby take you.. Even the best intentions... when it comes between hubbys & wives and learning to drive YIKES.. (can you spell divorce? heheehee)
Better to ask a friend:lol:

And the kicker: once you learn to drive a trank and park it backwards, you can drive ANYTHING!
My first car was a 13yr old stationwagon with steel bumpers (yes.... real steel LOL) and HUGE.... I was petrified of it.
Now? I can park my hubby's hyundai backwards on a dime, without correcting even once.

Learning to drive a tank goes a long way to instilling confidence in a driver. :green:
Plus, everyone was afraid I'd hit their car and break it, so they'd get out of the way HAHAHAHA No one would dare 'not' let me in, when changing lanes in traffic etc... hahaha (it was REAL FUNNY watching a BMW get out of my way, hehehehe)

:hug:

Here's my old tank LOL and the car next to it, is the neighbors... hubby's hyundai (which is now mine) is roughly that size.. but even shorter, I think)
n882190384_1947625_6527.jpg

Last edited:
Well i have to say that my husband is the most patient person i know-he has to be to put up with me!
I would have no qualms getting in the car with him. The only thing that annoys me when i am driving with him is that he points everything out as if i can't see! 'there's an island coming up' 'the lights are just about to change'. Yes i can see-lol
If someone turnes up at my house and they had their husband outside it wouldn't bother me and i probably would invite him in cos i'd feel sorry for him sat outside :)

I used to hate driving my husband's car (Peugot 607), but I do find that the more I use it, the easier it gets. I still hate parking in it, it's a nightmare if I need to go to a supemarket carpark cus you need two spaces next to each other to get it in! Just keep trying it, you'll soon get used to it. :hug:

im in a bit of a dilemma ..

my faithful little car has just died on me, and i wont be able to replace her in the immediate future .. business is new and we're basically living week to week at the moment

i cant drive my husbands car as it is much bigger with power stearing, i have tried many times and it brings me out in a cold sweat!

the problem is i offer a "mobile" bridal makeup service and am about to embark on eyelash extension training also .. so im now a mobile mua with no means of transport and several bookings all within 30 mile radius coming on up the next few months

my husband has sugested he takes me to the bookings and either just waits in the car until im finished (im usually there approx 2-3 hrs so its going to be a bit of a nightmare for him) or pick me up later, he could perhaps do some shopping in the nearest town etc ..

thankfully most of my bookings tend to be local so he could actually just drop me off and go back home, and its not as if im a mobile beauty therapist flitting here, there and everywhere - plus i earn enough from each booking to make it worth my husband being inconvenienced for a couple of hours on a saturday, lol

but what would the customer think? would they find it strange my husband is sitting in his car outside their house? they my think he's stalking the bride, lol

Course it wouldnt be strange hun - as long as the bride is having her make up done i dont think she will care who brings you or who is waiting outside and plus on the day of her wedding i really dont think she will care she will be usually too nervous!

I dont drive myself (put courses before driving lessons) and my mum/sisters take me to my appointents and wait outside for me and when i do my tanning parties they even come and do the parties with me to help me out and entertain the ladies and no1 even cares

hths :hug:

when i go far i sometimes take my dad for a drive with me when i am doing bridals, he does not get out much so it gives him a chance to get out and it also reassures him im safe and his still looking after me lol!

But if you are determined you want to drive have you looked into renting a car? cars can be quite cheap to rent for day - especially small ones. (dont know if they do half day) or if it will be worthwhile in your costs, just an idea
xxx

When I first started I offered a mobile service, and I dont drive. My partner always took me along to appointments and either waited outside, or came back later.
No one ever thought it was strange hun, so do whichever you feel best with...:hug:

Hi ya

I used to do weddings, make sure you can get to them, what if your driver wakes up ill on the day? Be independant - you can do it!
Good luck x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back