Yellow L&P, why

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a client in her 20’s, smoker and wears fake tan, who’s application of Retention + L&P keeps going yellow, some nails worse than others, with one natural nails the worst.

My brush is not contaminated as all other clients and myself are fine. The client claims she has not worn fake tan in weeks, its not her smoking hand which is worst, nor can she think of any other potential contributing factor!

I can’t think of anything else, is it me or her?

Hi Lou, it sounds like it's prob her. All sorts of things can stain l&p - curries, squeezing out tea bags, fake tans, smoking, sunbeds can cause yellowing too. Ask her to make a conscious effort to make a mental note of what she does with her hands (without getting too much information lol), and I'm sure she will come up with something. Good luck as it's so frustrating when these situations arise.

A couple of things that I have found which cause yellowing are:

Toma 3-in-1 Mood Changing Varnishes - the ones which react with the sun as well as the heat - they cause the product to go a lovely shade of yellow.

Also I had one lady who wanted to add extra shine to her nails so she applied a nail hardener every other day - this also caused the product to go a lovely jaundiced shade.

Fiona - thanksf ro the feedback, could be her cheap glitter polish I know shes been wearing but strange its stronger one some more that others?

Sassy Hassy said:
Hi Lou, it sounds like it's prob her. All sorts of things can stain l&p - curries, squeezing out tea bags, fake tans, smoking, sunbeds can cause yellowing too. Ask her to make a conscious effort to make a mental note of what she does with her hands (without getting too much information lol), and I'm sure she will come up with something. Good luck as it's so frustrating when these situations arise.

Hiya Sassy, :wink2: thanks for the feedback . I am sure its not me she does wear a glittery polish over them and I think that might be the problem.....

Lou, if it's a cheapie polish I think they often contain formaldehyde, and if my recent research has been correct this can turn a natural nail yellow, so guess it could do the same to l&p. Can someone confirm this is so, just want to make sure I've got it right!

Sassy Hassy said:
Lou, if it's a cheapie polish I think they often contain formaldehyde, and if my recent research has been correct this can turn a natural nail yellow, so guess it could do the same to l&p. Can someone confirm this is so, just want to make sure I've got it right!

and to add to this how fast can this manifest in a natural nail

Formaldehyde can definitely cause yellowing and mix ratio being a bit different on different nails could account for why some are more yellow than others.

Sunbeds do not affect Creative Liquid and Powder altho they definitely do affect other liquids and powders.

All the other things mentiond can cause yellowing of any L&P.

I am having the same problem with one lady:irked: .... not only are her nails yellow(and not a nice primrose colour) but the skin on her hands are rough and dry and pitted with stains also .. I even put a top coat on to see if that helped and it made it worse :cry: (and it dont contain formaldehyde ether) .. I also do her best friends nails ..and she is also a smoker and her nails are fine .. not a faint yellow colour in sight .. so I asked her to make a note of what chemicals or other things she uses and didnt think anything of .. so .. we will see when she returns in 3weeks for her infills :D ..

Quinn, you could try offering a SolarManicure add on to her service. This is a Salt Scrub in SolarOil - this is a great exfoliator and should help to get rid of the dry cracked skin. There are other Salt Scrubs available if you are not a CND user.

Latest posts

Back