Yellow tones!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweetypie89

Reaction score
So my niece who is 14 decided to put some Garnier box stuff on her hair. (apparently she mixed a powder with some liquid!)

Any way she had beautiful hair before and its now yellow so I'm guessing it was bleach and wasn't processed for long enough!

Now what I need clarification on is my over thinking of how to fix this mess!
She is around a base level 8 maybe a 9 at a push and I was thinking full head fine weave of foils followed by Wells Koleston 12/89

Am I right in this thinking? Blondes are not my strong point I'm more of a creative cutting person!

Please note I do not want any sarcastic comments (I read them a lot) and I am fully qualified just don't really do blondes like this its usually toning out some red underlying tones etc etc etc......

My advice? Take her back to her natural colour as a global colour but don't do it in the salon.

If you try to correct the blonde, it will need constant upkeep and you aren't insured any longer to do this as she's under 16 and you're based in the UK.

New labelling regulations require all boxes of tint to state 'not suitable for under 16's' or words to that effect and this includes supermarket box dyes.

It doesn't make it illegal to sell the box dyes to under 16's and it doesn't make it illegal to colour hair of under 16's.

But you won't be insured!

All Hairdressing insurance policies require you to 'follow manufacturers instructions/recommendations'. Therefore, as it says 'not suitable for under 16's', that's what your insurer will use to get out of providing cover if there's a problem.

Obviously, it's up to you how to proceed and I know it's tricky when it's a (teenage) family member, but probably worth explaining this to your sister/brother about the new rules.

I would do some fine weaves and apply a level 8/9 based violet(violet neutralises the yellow) and then colour the rest of her hair back to natural colour, that way she has her own colour back but some highlights xx

So my niece who is 14 decided to put some Garnier box stuff on her hair. (apparently she mixed a powder with some liquid!)

Any way she had beautiful hair before and its now yellow so I'm guessing it was bleach and wasn't processed for long enough!

Now what I need clarification on is my over thinking of how to fix this mess!

She is around a base level 8 maybe a 9 at a push and I was thinking full head fine weave of foils followed by Wells Koleston 12/89

Am I right in this thinking? Blondes are not my strong point I'm more of a creative cutting person!

Please note I do not want any sarcastic comments (I read them a lot) and I am fully qualified just don't really do blondes like this its usually toning out some red underlying tones etc etc etc......

What colour does she want? Global blonde? Or highlights?

My advice? Take her back to her natural colour as a global colour but don't do it in the salon.

If you try to correct the blonde, it will need constant upkeep and you aren't insured any longer to do this as she's under 16 and you're based in the UK.

New labelling regulations require all boxes of tint to state 'not suitable for under 16's' or words to that effect and this includes supermarket box dyes.

It doesn't make it illegal to sell the box dyes to under 16's and it doesn't make it illegal to colour hair of under 16's.

But you won't be insured!

All Hairdressing insurance policies require you to 'follow manufacturers instructions/recommendations'. Therefore, as it says 'not suitable for under 16's', that's what your insurer will use to get out of providing cover if there's a problem.

Obviously, it's up to you how to proceed and I know it's tricky when it's a (teenage) family member, but probably worth explaining this to your sister/brother about the new rules.

It would just make life easier if they just stopped store dyes all together. Lost count of how many screw ups I've felt with!

Has it been dealt with now?

Latest posts

Back