Your company name - how do you decide?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Princess 1.5

Reaction score
So I'll be training in lash extensions and tanning and eventually makeup.

How did you decide on your company name and can you call yourself anything you wish?

Presumably you can't use a name which is already taken? How do you find out if it's already been used?

Eugh I've been trying to decide on a name for weeks. Really fed up now.

Check any names you choose aren't registered already with companies house, also checking you can get a web address in your choose name is a start.
I started with a list of names but sometimes it's just easier to name a business after yourself if you work alone! X

Check any names you choose aren't registered already with companies house, also checking you can get a web address in your choose name is a start.
I started with a list of names but sometimes it's just easier to name a business after yourself if you work alone! X

It doesn't particularly matter if they are registered on companies house. They just shouldn't be trademarked.

Go through directGov Hun you can check registered names there x

It doesn't particularly matter if they are registered on companies house. They just shouldn't be trademarked.

That's really helpful info! I just also found through companies house, if you are a "sole trader" you do not have to register your business name. There seems to be a lot of sites advertising to pay and register names who are fleecing you. Only need to register if you have people working for you/ want to be a LTD company etc (obviously registering with tax man etc is completely separate). Seems more worthwhile to just pay for TM for the 10 years (£200) so someone doesn't open up a shop down the road with your business name (and you have to change yours).

That's really helpful info! I just also found through companies house, if you are a "sole trader" you do not have to register your business name. There seems to be a lot of sites advertising to pay and register names who are fleecing you. Only need to register if you have people working for you/ want to be a LTD company etc (obviously registering with tax man etc is completely separate). Seems more worthwhile to just pay for TM for the 10 years (£200) so someone doesn't open up a shop down the road with your business name (and you have to change yours).
You're right. Long term it's better but the paperwork can be a hassle and it takes 3 months before approval. 'Technically' as a sole trader, you actually never register as a business name. You are always referred to and by law has to be on your invoices and paperwork etc. YOUR NAME Trading as YOUR BUSINESS NAME.

Latest posts

Back