Your opinions please fellow geeks!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tips2Toes

Reaction score
OK, I wanted to post this as a poll but i'm guessing only pem geeks can do this?

My question is this -

So you've just completed your foundation course and need to practice or you're doing the nvq and need to complete your case studies.

Should you -

a) Use only family and friends and not charge a penny. (even if you cannot complete the required ranges)

b) Advertise for clients and charge reduced rates.

C) Advertise for clients and charge the lower end of the full price range.

I know this is likely to provoke a heated discussion and i'd like to say it is for opinion only not my personal views.

I think there are many 'green' techs out there who may be feeling a bit lost.

Many thanks ....

For practice, I would suggest:

- Charging family and friends enough to cover products
- Advertise for models, again with a small charge to cover products

As you get more proficient, you can start charging more. Good luck!

i have to say i may have to go for the first two options. would be nice to get a small amount of money out of it, and may also help if you run out of family and friends. and you may hack off local nail techs as well by charging low end price.

Only my humble opinion mind!

good luck with whatever you do.
XXX

I'm about to start advertising for models as I don't have any family or friends close enough to practice on.

How many models will I need??
Do these models always get their nails done for a reduced price??

I was also thinking of offering a reduced price for their first full set and then first rebalance but then full price after that (explained thouroughly!). But only offering this 'deal' for say the first week of the month to new clients only. I was thinking that this might be a good way for me to practice AND maybe get ladies hooked on having nice nails and hopefully returning.

How does that sound???

You need as many models as you can get to become really proficient. Once you are happy with what you are producing, you can start charging full prices.

I dont charge my mum and my auntie or my best friend, they didnt ask for their nails done but was willing to let me practice on them. However other friends and people i know i charged them 10 pounds to cover my stuff to start with. It went up to twenty after that, but now i will be renting out a table, i am charging 25 special offer then it will be 30. I think you should definetly charge something though if you think about all the stuff you buy.

I used friends and family charging them a small amount to cover costs.. I then found that people who saw there nails asked where they had them done.. it then became word of mouth and soon had alot of models, again chargeing them a small amount to cover cost.. the good news is that these models still come back but are paying full amount and business is picking up...

Latest posts

Back