Your Views on Sunbeds?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number1kitty

Reaction score
Hellooooo

I am thinking of opening a sunbed shop along with a beauty bar (rather than lux treatments just offering quick fixes such as spray tanning, waxing, eyelash extensions etc).

I am confident with opening business' but apart from working in a sunbed shop 8 years ago this is new to me.

I want to run as ethical as possible and ensuring that clients are taught to use sunbeds as safely as possible. I will be looking to retail environ and vitamins that will help build the skin and bodys immune system too.

Do you think its too late to profit off sunbeds? Has the boat passed so to speak?

Would people be interested in using lower powered sunbeds that I am looking to purchase or are people time savers and want to be in and out asap?

Do you prefer stand up or Lie down beds? I like lie down because I like to chill out, but what do you think clients prefer?

Do you think all the health scares are putting clients off sunbed use?

Do sunbeds have any real health benefits ie, Feel Good Factor, Heal Acne/Eczema/Psoriasis, do they build up protection before a holiday?

Look forward to your views.

Kate

Are there any other sunbed shops in your area? If so, how are they faring?
I think that in these days of spray tans (for speed) and manually applied ones (for luxury) I'd be surprised if there were a large enough client base any more. Especially as the newer tans don't leave you looking like a WAG!

I just wanted to say, I love tanning! I only go once every 4 weeks for 6 minutes and it makes me feel great. I'm aware of the dangers, but I'm also aware of the benefits(I have both acne and psoriasis and one session a month helps keep them at bay-plus the feel good factor that you mentioned-from October to May I get S.A.D.D. in a big time way and sometimes that 6 minutes makes me feel like a new person! Also my husband has eczema in the winter(not summer!) and uses a sunbed to clear that up-in the summer he doesn't need it because he's gets 'real' sun and that does the job for him.

I think moderation and common sense are the key. I don't think those '30£ a month unlimited tanning' packages are good-they encourage dangerous habits and give me the impression that the tanning place has no regard for my health and just wants their £30. If I went somewhere and they limited tanning I think that would send a much better message. If you wanted to do a deal maybe do a tanning/spray tanning combo package? to encourage people to try spray tans as an alternative???

I think if you were properly educating people they'd love it. I also like the idea of vitamins-as long as education is given there too. I would really recommend a place like this if there were one in my area. As it is-I just pay my £3.00 and am left alone. There is the poster up in the room about tanning safety, but I doubt many other people take the time to read it.

Regarding standing vs lay down-at the place where i go(which by the way I often have to wait my turn as they're pretty busy-even this day and age) the lay down ones have a face booster thing for extra tanning on the face. I do NOT use the lay down ones for that reason. If I ever do want a bit of extra colour on my face I top up with spray tans/lotions anyway. I do like the lay down ones, it helps me relax even more, but that extra face tanning puts me off. I only want a small dose, thanks.

Oh, and as far as protection for a holiday-I've heard that a tan from sunbeds doesn't provide any more protection than just using a weak sunscreen would...

Now I know this is a hot topic, but this is just my 2 cents. For the record I'm olive skinned, have about 3 moles and always do mole checks. If I were fair skinned with loads of freckles and moles I'm pretty sure I'd have a different attitude towards tanning, but to each their own I say...

Good luck to you, and let us know what you decide :D
x

Hi obviously I live a long way from you but the tanning shops where I live have all closed down. Five ir six years ago everyone used them. They were the realy high powered one with the accelorater cream. I baked myself and my freckles came out more and not alot else. Now everyone gets sprayed or uses st tropez mousse at home (the mousse is lighter and not so dark). I know a wealthy family that have a stand up bed fitted in there spare room and I tell you what the daughter has aged realy badly. This is just an opinion though I just think for a beauty salon that tanning is a bit of a contradiction when everyone knows deep down that it will age you if you use it often enough to get a year round tan. Dont mean to put a downer on it just saying what happend in my area!!!!:hug::hug:

Iv actually started to consider this myself so im glad som1 bought it up, in my town theres a tanning shop and its always busy and the owner just opened another 1 in a different town, but to be honest its the travelling comunity that keep her going they go on them every day without fail and they are as black as coal destroyed but they dont care!!!

hi,
I have to admit i do use the sunbed sometimes, i find it relaxing and there are still loads in the area i live in at the moment, They all seem to be very busy especially now as summer is approaching. I dont go on them as often as i used to as i like to have spray tans now. I think used in moderation a sunbed is fine.

Haven't been near a sunbed for 6 years, although I used to find them relaxing and loved the warmth, even used to hire them at home lol and would only go on one prior to going on holiday personally. I am scared of developing skin cancer and love spray tanning, but also the other thing is it can be very aging too, which puts me off. I suppose this is if you use them all the time. Sorry not being much use am I?!!

Thanks for your replies! I pretty much agree with everything you say, it is a contradiction for a beauty salon to offer sunbeds. But people use them regardless. I know the dangers and its made me think not to use them as often as I used to when I was 17 but still think that as good as fake tans are today nothing can quite beat that perma glow!

I am maltese and so my skin is pretty resistant to burning, but I also have a lot of moles, which I check weekly I think thats what scares me the most!

I just feel that at the minute even with the credit crunch that sunbed salons still seem to be popular and profitable.

That sounds wrong in a way as it sounds like I am all for profit, I dont want to earn millions at the expense of peoples health (hence the 'safe tanning' angle') but I do need to make sure I take a wage from it! I am more than happy to limit the amount of times a client can use my tanning beds!

Thanks Face Geek as well, I never thought about the face boosters. I usually tan the other way round so they are on my legs. But its a good point that I hadnt considered! All the salons round my way are stand ups and it makes me feel dizzy standing there for 9 minutes especially when they change the tubes and dont tell you GGGRRRRRR!!!!

Kate x

Since I had 3 skin cancers burnt off, a biopsy and one cut out .... well I sold my machines and have never done one since.

I found it very difficult to sell misery and danger (no matter what the profit margin).

This is my personal experience, the truth and my opinion.

In query to that, would you say that this was down to excessive use of sunbeds, excessive tanning in natural sun without SPF's, General sunbed use or just bad luck?

This is what plays on my mind the most. It seems most women have used sunbeds and most excessivly during the 80's/90's. You would expect more people to suffer from skin cancer than what you hear about or am I living in a bubble?

Does anyone know of any research done about skin cancer and whether the majority was caused by sunbeds.

They obviously will cause cancer if over used that has been proven but it just feels like a grey area at the minute as there is so much conflicting info and no real hard evidence reports that relate to the negs/positives eg.

So confusing!!!!!!!!!!

In query to that, would you say that this was down to excessive use of sunbeds, excessive tanning in natural sun without SPF's, General sunbed use or just bad luck?

This is what plays on my mind the most. It seems most women have used sunbeds and most excessivly during the 80's/90's. You would expect more people to suffer from skin cancer than what you hear about or am I living in a bubble?

Does anyone know of any research done about skin cancer and whether the majority was caused by sunbeds.

They obviously will cause cancer if over used that has been proven but it just feels like a grey area at the minute as there is so much conflicting info and no real hard evidence reports that relate to the negs/positives eg.

So confusing!!!!!!!!!!

Ok....i have just googled sunbeds and cancer and cancer research uk came up.....SUNBEDS CAN CAUSE CANCER....i dont think it matters if you are always on a sunbed or in the sun....you can get cancer anyway....

Can sunbeds cause cancer? ..... here is the link.Cancer is a big killer and some cancers they still have no cure for....i have just given up smoking because of my health and my kids are getting older now, i want to enjoy them before they leave home.

What is more important in life , your health or a tan.

I know sj1973 that your right. Our health is and should be more important than a tan. But we still want to look good.

I am so morally torn!

Thanks for taking the time finding those links for me, I shall have a read of them now!

Kate x

Some want want to look good but i dont want to look good 1 year and maybe dead the next.People should think before they go on these sunbeds. just mho.

I loved sunbeds i couldnt get enough of them , but now im really against them , when i found a mole which appeard from no where, and i got results back from it , resulting in over exposure to uv lighting , i havnt used a sunbed for 2years now but i think because skin cancer is growing rapidly in the uk i think people are so starting to go Fake all the way..i dont blame people who like a sunbed now and again because it does cheer you up and make you feel better

Yeah I am kinda off this idea now!

Moving on to plan B, one where I dont kill my clients! Theres only so many I can kill before my business goes bust lol!!

Thanks for your input much appreciated. Thinking I may stay off them myself now too, as apparently if you have at least ten beauty spots/moles on an arm your more susceptible to cancer. I have quite a few so will stick to my fake bake!

Kate

My partner had two sunbed shops with no other shops around and they made nothing either of them. Just do some massive market research, I think most people are going towards the healthier spray tans. It would be far cheaper to do a mobile spray tan and more profitable. He also hired out a room at the side of the sunbed salon for a beautician and that didnt work either (although I personally think that was down to her skills). I'm opening a spray tan and nail salon shortly - so will let you know !! Best of luck anyway xx

Latest posts

Back