Zero hours contract

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahgreetham

Reaction score
What does zero hour contract mean. Just been offered a job and they said I will start off on this

Means the minimum hours you can get in a week is 0 hours , basically when they need you you'll have hours and when they don't you may have no hours at all...

My advice (although I know you didn't ask for any lol) would be to check the contract. Make sure that it also works for you, not just for them.
In other words that you can say no to some hours when offered if you want to and you're not in a situation where you have to accept every hour they say they need you.

That's great advice thanks

Zero hours contracts can be very good if they are managed correctly because it should mean that you're not under any pressure to do hours that you don't want to do. You do need to show willing especially with weekends but generally the zero hours protects the company if they have no work available to you but it also goes in your favour if you want time off as long as you play fair and give enough notice. I existed on a zero hour contract as a long term thing and it worked well for me because I don't like to be told that I have to do a silly number of days in a row and I like to have time to do courses if I want to.

You may not be entitled to holiday pay / sick pay / maternity benefits so check this out too if this is important to you.

In my experience holiday pay is calculated based on the number of hours worked but I don't know about the others.

Holiday pay entitlement is set in employment law, as is maternity benefit but sick pay is contractual.

Holiday pay entitlement is set in employment law, as is maternity benefit but sick pay is contractual.

That is sick pay above statutory allowance I meant to say.

Latest posts

Back