£10 for gel nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldCrest

Reaction score
Recently I find more people offering gel nails for £10 over Facebook. Supposedly all trained.

I believe that this is not sustainable. What are guys thinking about this? How will it affect our business since we are charging more.

Please your thoughts to that.

I saw someone for £8 the other day mobile advertising on Facebook! I honestly don't know why they feel the need to go this cheap, how they are making any money I don't know! I've seen this topic discussed on here many times. I think as long as you are good at what you do and provide a professional service and professional products you can charge what you think is appropriate. I sometimes get disheartened when I see work advertised so cheap but then I think I wouldn't want to work for little when I know I work hard to provide a good service. Some people will always want a bargain but others will want to pay for a good service.

I personally think they are catering to a type of clientele that want that sort of service. One that I don't want to have. I pride my work my products my insurance. I'm offering more than just pretty nails. I'm offering a lot more! I'm showing them the difference between that type of service or mine. And my clientele is not the £10 bargain hunters. They can go to the Facebook £10 lot. I am not in competition with them. I was trained by one of the best and I will always remember her words!! You want waitrose customers [emoji12]

Thank u for your answers. I wonder whether they have insurance at all. I could not do mobile for £10 and I don't want to. I suppose I do find it a bit disturbing in a way. And yes. I rather have the waitrose customers [emoji6]

I used to get worried about that type of competition and I asked my trainer the same thing and she got me thinking this way and it doesn't phase me no more. In fact I lost a few clients who chose to go cheaper and now they want to come back and I don't want them! Honestly I had one client who went elsewhere and it was a blessing she was hardwork.

It would be interesting to see what they do.
I imagine the products used are bluesky elite99 etc.

It initially started with gel polish at £15. A year later it's £18 which I can do in 35/40 mins. If I asked for more I'd struggle in this area.

I understand it's depending on the area. I don't know what other people on here charge but I know that in my area I am not the most expensive one and she has always clients. But £10 or less you can't live of that can you? U still got overheads to take into account.

All goes back to the type of overheads they would have on a £10 service lifestyle. Cheap.

If they're offering a proper genuine CND service for £10, then it doesn't stack up and they will soon be out of business

Have a look at my post on the business forum. What are you offering and how does it compare.

I'm very mediocre at nails and charge £25. I'm busy because I have a great rapport with my clients and our location is lovely with clean toilets, tea and coffee in pretty clean cups. This doesn't seem to be the norm!

Vic x

Someone the other day was advertising shellac for £7.50. It's stupid it ruins the industry!

I charge less than I could cos I'm not 100% confident yet and its a second job so more pocket money than anything. I use ibd gel polish and nsi acrylic. I charge £18 for a gel polish, £20 for acrylic and an extra £5 if they want gel polish. Clients in my area aren't up for paying much though. I've had 2 New ladies recently who have never had their nails done outside a NSS salon unfortunately it doesn't seem I have converted them since my acrylic isn't as hard as the mma cr*p they have been having but that's what you've got to compete with ppl round here seem more bothered about that than having nails doing properly in their home with someone who understands what they are saying and sanitised tools!!! Xx

Not sustainable (10 pounds op) the minimum wage is now over 7 pounds per hour. Take into account the time it takes to text and arrange the service. Buy in the equipment, the travel time/petrol to get to the client and then the driving home and the washing of the towels and cleaning of the kit after etc. If they are doing it from home then the cost of the tea and coffee and electric etc. There is no way they could make any money! They would be well below the minimum wage if you added it all up X

Very sad to see a salon near me offering gel polish at only £15 for both hands and feet.
That's £7.50 each!
I charge £23-30 for one...
Hopefully they will go bust soon...

Eugh. Good luck to them lol I bet they don't even take time out to do proper cuticle work

Very sad to see a salon near me offering gel polish at only £15 for both hands and feet.
That's £7.50 each!
I charge £23-30 for one...
Hopefully they will go bust soon...

I have a few in my area like this too x x

Probably the type that buy 'genuine' CND products on eBay too...

Thank you for all the answers. I am charging £30 for gel nails including mini manicure. For toes would be again that or a combined price. For manicure itself I charge £20 and for pedicure £25. I am using ink London.

I've just found out that a mobile nail tech about 15 minutes from me charges £10 for Shellac - how the frick am I meant to compete with that??? I charge £26 for hands or feet, including a mini manicure/ pedicure afterwards and a hand/ foot massage (time permitting). I'm struggling to get things up and running and people like his do not help!!
Rant over.

Latest posts

Back