£14.50 food challenge for a month

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow just had a quick look as on my phone, how come its so cheap? Is it delivered? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yep they deliver, think about a fiver. Some of it is very close to "best before" date (not use by date) although a lot of it isn't! The best before dates on tinned/packet goods etc are all a load of rubbish anyway, I only pay attention to dates on meat/fresh stuff/dairy.

Well worth having a look to see if there's stuff there you can make use of. I'm not arguing with 18 cereal bars for a quid or 12 bottles of lucozade for £1.49 lol!

Thank you for sharing

Think you're all being a bit harsh - it's her choice, she's hardly starving herself and some of her meals look quite yummy!

I'm finding it quite interesting, and I agree i wouldn't like to eat like this but it's quite surprising how much we spend on money when we could in fact eat for less on many occasions!

Think you're all being a bit harsh - it's her choice, she's hardly starving herself and some of her meals look quite yummy!

I'm finding it quite interesting, and I agree i wouldn't like to eat like this but it's quite surprising how much we spend on money when we could in fact eat for less on many occasions!

Completely agree.She's not starving herself and the op already stated that she dosnt eat great amounts of food anyway.I think it's very interesting and the op has stated it's a challenge for a month not for a life time.

The meals do look yummy and I think she's done really well with her budget.Years ago I had to do it and I had £20 a month for me any my daughter we ate 3 square meals a day health and we could do it I mean needs must at that point in my life but we did it.

Bring back the op lol I want to see what else she has been eating it's great.xxxx

Completely agree.She's not starving herself and the op already stated that she dosnt eat great amounts of food anyway.I think it's very interesting and the op has stated it's a challenge for a month not for a life time.

The meals do look yummy and I think she's done really well with her budget.Years ago I had to do it and I had £20 a month for me any my daughter we ate 3 square meals a day health and we could do it I mean needs must at that point in my life but we did it.

Bring back the op lol I want to see what else she has been eating it's great.xxxx

Wow, I can't imagine living off £20 a month! But when you look at it, you can so it as you and the OP have proved!

Very interesting thread/blog and I agree. Bring back the OP! Would be nice to hear how she is getting on :)

Get some bones from the butcher for your "dog" and boil them for a soup :) lots of home baking. Its also cheaper sometimes to buy meet such as a chicken and joint it yourself. Good luck, at least its winter and u can get away with eating lots of stews x
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Unfortunately most butchers wont let you have bones for dogs now. Just tell them it is for making stock, which it actually is. I always used to ask if they had bones for my dogs ( I have two big dogs who love bones) and have never been allowed to buy them if the butcher knew they were meant for the dog. They don't want to get sued if your dog chokes on the bone.

Another great way of cooking cheaper cuts of meat which are usually much tougher and need more cooking time which in turn costs more in electricity or gas is to invest in a Pressure Cooker. They can be found at reasonable prices and I could not go without mine. A tender beef stew using the cheapest stewing steak takes me 1 to 1 1/2 hours in the pressure cooker, it is a healthy way of cooking, none of the vegetable nutrients get lost as they would with boiling either and uses the tiniest amount of electric or gas because you need a very low heat. WHenever I do one of my stews people think it has been cooking for hours and hours to be that tender.

Do any of you ladies coupon and bargin shop?

I have been using coupons since I was 16 when I had my daughter whom now is 25 and her father and I are still together. We use alot of soap in my house. There was a sale for $1.00 each bottle I had a coupon $2.00 saved when you buy 2 so each bottle was .12

Lettuce bowls (Salads) are about .50 and today I am off to Safeway to buy 50 pounds of oranges for $5.00 using airmiles points.

I started a FB group some time ago to see if others couponed to save moeny??? Here are some of our stockpiles. I like the fresh whole foods so for me pre pkg goods are not on my shelf, I can alot of my extras.... but it sure can save.

Attachments

• 379687_10151401989975535_2112029011_n.jpg
    379687_10151401989975535_2112029011_n.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 550516_10151401989200535_1679370365_n.jpg
    550516_10151401989200535_1679370365_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 110
For those on a budget its a great way to save...again this is coupons you pay the grocery store with paper... OMG yes paper lol... these pictures too a friend of mine 8 months to stock and saved 50-90% off her bill each time. Ihave myself and husband so no need to stock up like this Nikki has a family of 5 and runs a daycare.

In Canada there is a group called Smart Canucks here are some other peoples stocks

Stockpile Erotica for those who can't get enough!!!

Do you guys have coupons and what are they for?

Attachments

• 4996_10151482016840499_365372935_n.jpg
    4996_10151482016840499_365372935_n.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 76390_10151482016670499_814535794_n.jpg
    76390_10151482016670499_814535794_n.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 250384_10152504082600495_90034433_n.jpg
    250384_10152504082600495_90034433_n.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 550542_10151482009505499_630429051_n.jpg
    550542_10151482009505499_630429051_n.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 111
For those on a budget its a great way to save...again this is coupons you pay the grocery store with paper... OMG yes paper lol... these pictures too a friend of mine 8 months to stock and saved 50-90% off her bill each time. Ihave myself and husband so no need to stock up like this Nikki has a family of 5 and runs a daycare.

In Canada there is a group called Smart Canucks here are some other peoples stocks

Jeez! Where would I put it all!!
We don't really have the same couponing culture in the UJ. I have loyalty cards which send you vouchers each months.. I did all my kids Christmas shopping with my Tesco Clubcrad vouchers (£300 worth!)

Houses in the UK generally aren't of the proportions of our across the pond neighbours, and often we don't have basement spaces to put massive storage shelters for food. :)

So doubt we'd stockpile that much food. Although I have seen some panic buying of bread/milk due to 2inches of snow this week :D

Your shelves are so neatly stocked it reminds me of that film with the obsessive husband - Julia Roberts fakes her own death!! EEEEK!

Houses in the UK generally aren't of the proportions of our across the pond neighbours, and often we don't have basement spaces to put massive storage shelters for food. :)

Yes I understand I do not house this either lol some gals I run with do though. My home is old and less than 700 sqare feet of living no basement with a crawl space under it for pipes. A war time house.... not sure if you can see my tiny home ha ha

Its bad but u can see like you my home is tiny 700 square feet

Attachments

• 2013-01-20 09_36_41.jpg
    2013-01-20 09_36_41.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 175
:) that being said, the only coupons I ever see are something like 5p off something which costs £2.99 anyway!

I do a lot of supermarket loyalty card promotions though and save points throughout the year and either get rewards or money off your shopping. Points saving is more the thing.

Petrol coupons are probably one of the most popular ones, as our petrol/diesel is so expensive in the UK! :) 5p off a litre is a popular one!

I love seeing other places who coupon here is a great link as well
Anyhow wont littler the link with coupons just trying to say that there is a way to save for vacations, rent food and such if we are slooth like ha ha

Meet Gravesend's 'Ultimate Penny Pincher' (From This Is Local London)

Have a super day I am off for a walk with my family memebers then we do an afternoon lunch!

Traci

I love seeing other places who coupon here is a great link as well
Anyhow wont littler the link with coupons just trying to say that there is a way to save for vacations, rent food and such if we are slooth like ha ha

Meet Gravesend's 'Ultimate Penny Pincher' (From This Is Local London)

Have a super day I am off for a walk with my family memebers then we do an afternoon lunch!

Traci

Do we no if the lady succeeded in her challenge? Hope she did x x

Well she hasn't updated her blog past days 7 & 8.

No way of knowing if she did complete her challenge (I hope she did) or how close she came if she failed, until she returns to either here or there to update us all.

I just saw this blog now and I'm really shocked. Did the OP say what her motivation was for trying to live on such a restrictive diet?

I thought at first she mean't that she was going to try and live off her store cupboard but she didn't even allow this.

I'm also honestly shocked at how encouraging everyone was, when from the blog diary it's clear that she was eating very little (put some of her days it into myfitnesspal and they are working out as less than 500cal). with virtually no protein and very little variety. Undereating + malnutrition can be very damaging and I hope the OP did not continue her challenge for longer than a week and that she is ok.

Being this controlling over your diet too for no apparent reason is also screaming eating disorder to me?!?

If you had read this thread & the links then you would know it was a 1 month challenge, not a long term thing and that it came about because they bought the cats food for 1 month and her boyfriend said you couldn't live for a month on that money - so she tried to prove him wrong.

She also explains that she doesn't eat a lot anyway normally and that she is not from the UK (if that makes any difference) so her eating habbits are different to ours.

I hope she did manage to last the month and that her boyfriend treated her to something fantastic for doing it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back