£600 up front for Room Rental - Normal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautymamma

Reaction score
:confused: Hello all,

I was hoping to get some advice from all you geeks! I want to wet my feet in the water of working away from home. Want to rent a room to spread my wings a bit. Anyway, advert in the local paper for a room within a gym. Went to look lovely room not a bad rent £150 a week. Sounded reasonable for the area. But the lady renting the room wants 4 weeks in advance!!! Is this normal? My cash flow is not great at the min as I broke my arm in the snow and have been having physio and have only just been signed off so all of my clients have had to go elsewhere in the interim. What do you guys think - is the owner of the gym being reasonable or greedy?

I did ask her if there was a way round the 4 weeks up front ie percentage or reduced for a number weeks but she was not willing to budge! Shall I carry on looking?

Hope to hear your views.
lol Beautymamma:)

Hi,

Do you mean she wants one months rent in advance and then you immediately start paying weekly rent orr does she just want the rent paid monthly in advance?

The former sounds an expensive way to get started (but is often used for renting properties). The latter seems reasonable request to me (although, still not the best deal you could get).

You need to decide how much profit the room could bring you. It's obviously better to pay more for a room if it's in a desirable location than a cheap room in the middle of nowhere :)

HTH
Jes

I had to pay 3 months up front for mine! Although there are always exceptions, it is standard practice to ask for a month up front as this ensures you can't just drop out of the agreement one day leaving them in the lurch, i.e. if you decide to give the room up they have 4 weeks in which to arrange someone else to use the room, as an empty room is generating no money (in fact it costs money!). I rent my rooms out to a chiropractor & podiatrist & I in turn ask for a month up front as well.

I paid two months in advance which was a grand but now ive taken over the whole building so ive up and down with 6 treatment rooms, ensuite shower and toilet in one its on a perfect spot on a main road and only pay £625 a month for the whole building. Im really really busy.

My first venture was in a gym and i paid £300 a month didnt get much response and hated every minute of it.
I hope all goes well for you but i would try to get a better deal

Latest posts

Back