‘Fake’ stamping plates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellair

Reaction score
Hi all
Recently I was given some stamping plates that appeared to be moyou & born pretty which I’ve used before however the packaging or sleeve was different to normal. When I’ve gone to use them they aren’t picking up like normal. It’s as if they aren’t cut deep enough or too finely. Either way it’s odd, I don’t usually have any issues at all... however I don’t feel I can ask where they came from as it was from a friend leaving the nail biz.
Are fake plates a thing? It’s made me wary to spend money on new ones now, incase they are legit and it’s just luck of the draw or just this particular design? Thoughts please :)

I’m new to stamping, but Ive seen older models of well known stamping plates that where not optimal for its use. As I am learning it again several years later I find the newer plates have come a long way. Could they be older plates maybe?

There are a lot of fakes out there so as long as you haven’t bought from a distributor you can never guarantee what you get.

Don’t be discouraged from it. It’s a great tool for nail art and there are several good brands making amazing plates so if those aren’t working for you, trash them and invest in better ones :)

Would you say moyou are pretty good as played go then? Id like to get some more. I think they alao do stamping polish so i might get some of that while im at it...

Would you say moyou are pretty good as played go then? Id like to get some more. I think they alao do stamping polish so i might get some of that while im at it...

I have a massive moyou plate and it’s awesome! I just hate the stamper that came with it so I’m intending to buy just a new stamper. The plate is better than the ones I use at my salon job.

There is 2 moyou - moyou fashion and moyou London, I haven’t had any issues with moyou London plates. However I have some moyou fashion ones I got from olympia beauty last year and some of the plates straight won’t pick up! Tends to be the finer designs, but tried different polishes (I have a few different stamping polishes) different stampers (I have their one, a clear jelly stamper and a cheap stamper from born pretty) different scrapers, unfortunately have had to write if some beautiful designs due to this! So whilst there aren’t many fakes per say, there are some pretty bad plates out there!!

I've had great success with the Art Screens made by Young Nails and their Caption polishes. My designs are almost always perfectly crisp and pick up well. It did take a bit of practice finding the right amount of polish to apply and timing for picking up the design and placing it, but once I got that down I very rarely have any issues. I've found that some of the off-brand plates are not engraved deeply enough to create consistent images so I just stick with the brand I know.

Latest posts

Back