‘Solar’ nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlsdds

Reaction score
In the US, there is a constant merry-go-round about Solar nails.

What is the bottom line? They’re acrylic, not by CND, don’t need infil for 4 weeks, look completely natural and have a magic top coat that makes them ‘solar’.

Are these in the UK? I hate all the mis information.

It's because CND do a monomer called 'Solar' we used to get it here in the UK, I've stopped using CND so not sure if it's still available. Iirc it's slower setting than Retention+.

Looking at Google, in the States it looks like they've combined Radical & Solar and called it Radical Solar Monomer 🤣

Thanks Trinity- googling probably brought up all the conflicting info surrounding ’solar’ nails. this service is being heavily advertised by ‘nail spa’ salons in my area.

CND web pages don’t mention Solar except for the monomer, which I completely bypassed. Thanks for leading me to it.

I still use cnd p/l for acrylic services. Lot of people want gel or gel polish in the States. I use Plexigel and Shellac. Mostly because I am dreadfully allergic to other systems. Tammy Taylor and Gelish have a hybrid acrylic-gel in a tube. Nice because it doesn’t set until you cure it. You can play with the shape until you perfect it. I rarely use it but keep on hand.

What are you using for enhancements?

What are you using for enhancements?

I'm not doing much in the way of L&P anymore (since lock down) but when I do I use CJP Nail Systems. Very, very different to CND but I like it very much. Much easier to file, more workability time, but doesn't run whilst staying malleable. UK produced and based.

Hybrids wise, I trained in it as I didn't feel I was getting the best from them just using my Gel & L&P knowledge. Can't say I'm blown away by them. For me personally the wearability was disappointing, they always felt too 'soft' and as a unconscious nail biter I could bend and stretch them with my teeth. I don't use them on clients.

Gel wise I don't do many but use either CJP BOB (Brush On Builder) or CND Plexiglas which I bought in lockdown and did their on-line familiarisation Zoom (as I'm already Gel qualified). It's OK, I mostly use it for repairs and to stick within the brand when using Shellac if needed. I use the CJP BOB if using their CjelP ( their Gel polish range)

I’m checking to see if there is a US distributor for CJP.

I’m checking to see if there is a US distributor for CJP.

There won't be, it's UK based but I think they ship internationally. There was an issue posting monomer but I'm not sure if it's been resolved. www.cjpnailsystems.com

I do envy the excellent education the UK requires for licensure In cosmetology. I feel like we in the US have been part of a mill squeezing out quasi-graduates. In the state I live in, Texas, the requirement in classroom hours is 600 classroom hours now. When I went to school in 1976, it was 250 hours. My teacher didn’t like the smell of acrylic or nail polish, so we did each other in our cars.

Plus, every state (50) has their own differing requirements. I’m so impressed when y’all talk about level 1,2, or 3 in acrylic, gel, or another service.

Here, it’s ‘don’t set the bar too high’. Depressing

they ship internationally.
Yes, I looked at their page and shipping can be free if one orders w/flammables the minimum order is 200£. If without flammables minimum order of 100£.

Not hard to rack up the cost. They do have try me kits and core kits. Is there something you have tried and like to use?

I do envy the excellent education the UK requires for licensure In cosmetology. I feel like we in the US have been part of a mill squeezing out quasi-graduates. In the state I live in, Texas, the requirement in classroom hours is 600 classroom hours now. When I went to school in 1976, it was 250 hours. My teacher didn’t like the smell of acrylic or nail polish, so we did each other in our cars.

Plus, every state (50) has their own differing requirements. I’m so impressed when y’all talk about level 1,2, or 3 in acrylic, gel, or another service.

Here, it’s ‘don’t set the bar too high’. Depressing

We currently don't have any legal requirements for training here in the UK, anyone can wake up one morning, buy a kit from eBay/Amazon/whatever, and declare themselves a Nail Tech. They can't get insurance or quality professional only products as they can provide certificates of training but clients aren't always savvy enough to understand, they'll tend to look for cheap prices and bounce around salons/techs looking for best price. You know the saying 'good nails ain't cheap, and cheap nails ain't good'

Changes are afoot though, and reputable suppliers won't sell to unqualified. There's plenty of unscrupulous who will.

Yes, I looked at their page and shipping can be free if one orders w/flammables the minimum order is 200£. If without flammables minimum order of 100£.

Not hard to rack up the cost. They do have try me kits and core kits. Is there something you have tried and like to use?

I use both their acrylic and gel polish.

Latest posts

Back