1&1 website builder - amazing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie-k

Reaction score
Hi, after searching hi and low for somone to do a webiste for me, I decided to try to do it myself. I am no techie at all and was prepared to pay £1000 for a website but after bad customer service I decided to try it myself...and mainly to prove a point that the site that I wanted - although ambitious, was achievable.
1& 1 is FREEEEEEE!!!!! So no charges apart from monthly hosting of around £15 per month which is what you'd pay anyway on top of website fees of you had someone do it for you. Cant wait to show off my site and so proud that the professional said it would take weeks to design my ideas and cost £1k, was actually achieved by me (a computer phobe) in 1 day! Yay!!!:Grope:

Any chance of a link to your page to see what way they come out :)

....So no charges apart from monthly hosting of around £15 per month

WOW :eek::eek::eek: that's really expensive! I pay £20 a year!!!!!

I thought this BUT I guess it offsets the fact the webpage is "free". So in a sense... it's never free at all, just included in the hosting fee.

Who is your website through?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

I'll post it on here soon as it's complete. I thought £20 was
Quite good. I was quoted £12 per month plus one off fee of £125 by salon alchemy who said they could only do me a basic website x

I'll post it on here soon as it's complete. I thought £20 was
Quite good. I was quoted £12 per month plus one off fee of £125 by salon alchemy who said they could only do me a basic website x

Sorry, but I need to put the record straight here. I was referring to it being unrealistic to do something like http://oldbarbershop.com.au/ (which was an example you gave me and Carl) for 120.00 on account of the amount of fancy jQuery stuff on there. Or that other site Welcome to Chapel Holistics Ltd - 0161 485 7186 that had an animated Flash banner and loads of jQuery slidey menus and whatnot on there too. So these were the calibre of sites that I was saying it was unrealistic to be able to deliver for 120.00 - and would probably take a few days of development work to get to that sort of level.

If you can knock something as good as either of those two sites up in a few hours on 1and1 site builder, then I'm blatantly in the wrong career!

you sound happy with it, good for you .

sorry to say but 1&1 has been my worst nightmare. never got round to finishing my website and wanted to cancel but their website wouldn't let me cancel,called and was put on hold for hours,emailed ,got no reply. then got a bill for £50 throught the post for a website thats none existant(sorry for spelling:o
jus saying it for the benefit of those who may want another opinion.glad it worked for you though

Just wanted to say that I'm currently doing my website with ruth @ salon alchemy and although not finished yet so far it looks fab. Way more professional than anything I could of done and I had done a site myself with Microsoft online.

i paid £75 for mine and i think its £24 a year for hosting!!

....£15 - - - - - - OUCH!

you sound happy with it, good for you .

sorry to say but 1&1 has been my worst nightmare. never got round to finishing my website and wanted to cancel but their website wouldn't let me cancel,called and was put on hold for hours,emailed ,got no reply. then got a bill for £50 throught the post for a website thats none existant(sorry for spelling:o
jus saying it for the benefit of those who may want another opinion.glad it worked for you though

Ironically, I've had clients who have had similar experiences with 1and1; in the end, we went behind their back and went straight to Nominet who were able to transfer the domain names away from 1and1 to a different registrar (that's the good thing about .co.uk domains - as you can go direct to Nominet if the domain name company who currently has the domain name is being a bit flaky).

one of my sites is with 1and1 and I've been with them for about 3 years and its all been fine.

Regardless of who builds the site - yourself or a 'pro' the key thing is getting the website and its pages ranking highly on the search engines.

No matter how pretty and professional the site looks it is of no use if prospective clients cannot find you.

The people who built our sites also did the SEO and I have been learning quite a bit myself.
We are also paying a company to do backlinking for us and it is working a treat, we rank highly on a national level for all our key words/phrases

Hi

I know there are squillions of providers out there, but the monthy fees you are quoting for hosting sound really high.

Here's one that I have used for many years now with no problem.

Streamline.net - Web hosting made easy

I've been contacted twice in my salon by people offereing me a "free" website, only to discover that it "must" be hosted by them for, guess what, big fees per month.

Shop around, find a developer that can do you the site you need for the price you want to pay. Remember to ask about optimisation for smart phones as many people surf the net this way.
Ask about ease of editing, so that you can change the content yourself.

Then shop around for a hosting service that you are happy with too.

Good luck x

I had a quick look at these a while back and found them to offer a very basic site. I have web design background and experience so maybe I expect too much. I went with Yell.com and they "designed" a site for me, domain name, hosting SEO etc. To be honest,,,, not too happy. Expensive and no option of making any changes myself. It all has to go through their customer service office and takes days to show up on my site. At the end of the year I will go back to doing my own.

These are all lessons well learned though, I think the main thing to take away from this is we need to research as much as possible before we commit to any agreement.

I thought £15 was reasonable considering I was originally being charged £12 per month plus 120 to design it. Maybe I should shop around and see if I can get a better deal. Thanks all :)

Ruth....feel I need to set the record straight here too.....I only said that they were website I liked the look of and not exactly what I expected at all. I just liked the colours and use of photos rather than the use of cartoony type images. So no, the site I've designed is nothing as fancy as that but aesthetically is not far off!! You obviously just didn't want my business which is fair enough :)

I thought £15 was reasonable considering I was originally being charged £12 per month plus 120 to design it. Maybe I should shop around and see if I can get a better deal. Thanks all :)

Ruth....feel I need to set the record straight here too.....I only said that they were website I liked the look of and not exactly what I expected at all. I just liked the colours and use of photos rather than the use of cartoony type images. So no, the site I've designed is nothing as fancy as that but aesthetically is not far off!! You obviously just didn't want my business which is fair enough :)

I probably misunderstood you there then, but was just going on past experience, where I have had clients who have said they liked the look of a particular site, but then insisted on having fancy functionality (because the site they liked the look of also had it), that took a lot of time to code, meaning that I ended up spending about 3 or 4 times as long on the site as I should have done, but wasn't able to bill for. So I guess a lot of it is about managing expectations; now, if I feel that there's a chance that it may be difficult to realistically meet a particular client's expectations, or if I feel that what they need is going to take too long to fit in with my current workload, or that I feel that a particular proposition is just not going to work for whatever reason, then it's often a safer bet to decline the work and suggest that the prospective client goes elsewhere. Now I'm not going to get it right every time, because I'm only human. But I wouldn't call it "bad customer service" to say no to a prospective client (that you haven't done any work for at that point), just as it wouldn't be fair to criticise a bank for bad customer service if they say no when you ask them for a loan.

Latest posts

Back