1.5% developer lifted roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicqui

Nicqui
Reaction score
Has anybody ever experienced a 1.5% Developer lifting roots? I have level 7 and I now have warm roots. Weird!

Nothing weird at all. Of course it will lift at the roots.
Are you a qualified hairdresser because your question suggests otherwise?

Nothing weird at all. Of course it will lift at the roots.
Are you a qualified hairdresser because your question suggests otherwise?
I've NEVER had 1.5% lift at the roots before when used with a Toner. And yes I am a qualified hairdresser.

All developers will cause some degree of lifting when they open the cuticle layer, although the lower the strength, the less noticeable it will be. Usually the toner will cover it so that it’s not noticeable until the toner fades.

All developers will cause some degree of lifting when they open the cuticle layer, although the lower the strength, the less noticeable it will be. Usually the toner will cover it so that it’s not noticeable until the toner fades.
You hit the nail on the head - the toner didn't deposit onto the roots (just a slight lift only). I should have mentioned in my first comment that the 1.5% Developer was used with a Toner.

Has anybody ever experienced a 1.5% Developer lifting roots? I have level 7 and I now have warm roots. Weird!

Did you use a permanent colour to tone?
I find if I have used a permanent colour to tone it lifts the natural hair too warm so only tend to use semi/demi colours to tone on highlights where I don’t do a darker root toner. Hope this helps. :)

I used a dedicated toner

We refer to them as toners when we discuss it with clients but you need to know what sort of product you’re working with when choosing the best product for the hair. Any colour product can be used to tone.

Are you using a permanent, demi or a semi?

Darling of course 1,5% developer will lift your hair regardless of the NL you have. You should mix your toners with a processing solution not 1,5% developer. Or just mix it with a water if you don’t want any lift.

greetings

My goodness, Nicqui! I know this is old, but I had to reply. You came to get help, and support and instead got condescension and a seriously wrong answer.

I have a few clients who I refer to as "hot heads" only because their natural bodies generate so much warmth from their scalps it's crazy! Some of them have very porous hair (either naturallly or from hair relaxers). Needless to say, I have to reduce my time, lower the developer (I've diluted down to 0.9% before), or both when coloring them. I have definitely warmed the root a bit with a 1.5% and a reddish toner. It's a lesson, I only needed to learn once - LOL. "Toners" are used so casually with color companies now that anything that isn't permanent is called one. Also to correct michalaurenty: I use ShadesEQ and that processing solution is just a 2.1% developer - it literally says that in their literature. I hope this was an actually useful answer, I thought it was very good question.

What did you use to tone? Is it a brand you normally use? I very often find if you use a permanent tint with 1.9% it creates a little lift on the natural hair. But from experience I've learned if you use a demi /quasi colour with 1.9% it doesn't lift the natural base because these are designed to deposit only :)
Also, depending on the result you want to achieve, sometimes a semi permanent will do the trick and then there no developer - so no worries about lift :)
Any further info you need or if you have any questions, I'll try my best to help :)

My goodness, Nicqui! I know this is old, but I had to reply. You came to get help, and support and instead got condescension and a seriously wrong answer.

I have a few clients who I refer to as "hot heads" only because their natural bodies generate so much warmth from their scalps it's crazy! Some of them have very porous hair (either naturallly or from hair relaxers). Needless to say, I have to reduce my time, lower the developer (I've diluted down to 0.9% before), or both when coloring them. I have definitely warmed the root a bit with a 1.5% and a reddish toner. It's a lesson, I only needed to learn once - LOL. "Toners" are used so casually with color companies now that anything that isn't permanent is called one. Also to correct michalaurenty: I use ShadesEQ and that processing solution is just a 2.1% developer - it literally says that in their literature. I hope this was an actually useful answer, I thought it was very good question.
Well thank you very very much. I didn't think I was going crazy! Thank you for posting!

What did you use to tone? Is it a brand you normally use? I very often find if you use a permanent tint with 1.9% it creates a little lift on the natural hair. But from experience I've learned if you use a demi /quasi colour with 1.9% it doesn't lift the natural base because these are designed to deposit only :)
Also, depending on the result you want to achieve, sometimes a semi permanent will do the trick and then there no developer - so no worries about lift :)
Any further info you need or if you have any questions, I'll try my best to help :)
Thanks so much!

Depends if your using a permanent colour or semi etc a permanent colour, i only tend to tone with a permanent on top of a global bleach application x
You hit the nail on the head - the toner didn't deposit onto the roots (just a slight lift only). I should have mentioned in my first comment that the 1.5% Developer was used with a Toner.
If theres ammonia in the colour it will lift as well as deposit eg wella have colortouch 1.9% Developer aswell a pastel 1.9% the pastel is for changing a permanent into a semi, i queried the differences on a training course amd the pastel cancels out the ammonia. You can use permanent to tone global bleach application but use a true semi for use on natural hair you dont want to lift x

Latest posts

Back