1 day courses-do they annoy therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There will always be those that seem to do well after a few days training compared to an incompetent one that has done a FT course- personal aptitude has a lot do do with it. However you cannot be proficient with only a day or few days training no matter how go getting you are. It takes lots of clients, good quality training and much study to be really competent at what you do. College is just the beginning - students have to improve in the real world so I still would not expect a college leaver to be ready even after a longer course. The beauty industry has shot itself in the foot by these courses - the insurance companies and suppliers are the only ones winning not the therapists and clients. Short courses should be for already qualified therapists to brush up on skills and add to their knowledge as CPD.

Last edited:
I have done many 1 day courses but the ones that I have attended have had weeks after to do case studies and course work and u had to provide evidence etc. it took me 2 months to qualify after attending my practical day in waxing. I passed feeling confident. There r college courses that u can attend 2 evenings a week for a yet where u learn everything. In comparison I've prob had the same if not more work to do to pass each individual course.x

I started in the beauty industry at the age of 37. I couldn't have coped learning in a school environment it's just not how I learn. I was lucky and did intensive training with a trainer who has won numerous awards for her own skills. Personally I feel that the standard of education needs to be more consistent and properly managed, so that all courses are equal. A one day course requires a lot of homework but this will depend on the attitude of the therapist. I have been on amazing one day courses and awful ones. I have been in the industry for over 4 years and love it, I'm as successful as I want to be (part time as 2 children under ten) but I'm under no illusions that continuous training and improvement is needed no matter how you were trained.

Also I think people are much more loyal to their hairdresser because if they mess your hair up you can't quickly fix it and everyone can see it. I travel 100 mile round trip to mine because in 5 years of trying no one has come close. I just trust him completely and know that even though he is top of his game he regularly goes on new courses.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Ok so I did level 2 after leaving school. Hated it, hardly ever there and don't actually know how I passed. Left college went in to travel then finance then back to travel.
A few years ago I was told I wouldn't work again.
Balls to that so I did a load of short courses (some one day) and set up mobile.
I feel confident, run a mobile and home business and I work in a salon as and when needed. The salon owner is an ex nvq assessor and rates my work highly.
I can't really say any of my knowledge comes from my nvq as I forgot it all over 15 years x

Sent from the catphone

My whole class are all just qualifying on level 2 one girl had attendance of about 50% (I saw the attendance letter). She qualified the other day but not before asking me why she shouldn't put silver shampoo on my copper hair and why conditioning the whole head of someone with thin hair wasn't a good idea. She had to be talked through every cut and the girls in the class were telling her the next step to everything when the teachers weren't looking. She joked to me the other day saying "can you even imagine me in a salon! I wouldn't have a clue!" I could not disagree with her!

Iv no probs with one day but surely u need some background! When your getting let lose on the paying public! Iv witnessed some poor practice both in college and with the colleague who trains in everything one day....but I still feel u need background knowledge for eg in anatomy and physiology...short courses can only touch on this..iv seen lack of knowledge, no consultation and frankly just in it to make a quick buck! If you are dedicated then ul so the homework required for short courses but unfortunately I don't see much if that happening near me & feel such ppl shouldn't be practising...but I suppose that's down to the lack of regulation in the beauty industry and this needs changed

My short answer is yes, I find it ridiculous. No they are not qualified after a day course, I mean how is it even possible to make a comparison? Are they superhuman that they can cram years of acquired knowledge, practical skill into a day or a few days? It's a bit mad.

How about some famous artists in drawings etc that's been self trained etc.. I think your either talented at something or your either not! Some people study something for years and never get it but some people are naturally good at something and ones they know basics it comes to them with practice! I am really amazed at some people that's done years of training and done nothing further with their carries and gone nowhere with it.. It's obviously not for them! So it's all about finding your self at what your good at.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

My short answer is yes, I find it ridiculous. No they are not qualified after a day course, I mean how is it even possible to make a comparison? Are they superhuman that they can cram years of acquired knowledge, practical skill into a day or a few days? It's a bit mad.

Some people that take one day course do hell if a lot of research , read booked and shadow other professionals. Some people that spend years in in college eating their time sometimes because they naturally not good at something. We are all individuals ! Some people are good with chemistry some people are good with writing books, some people are good at hairdressing... It's all about finding your talent.

Also there's a bit difference in how much you need to know about hairdressing and waxing eyebrows.

In hairdressing there's loads of different hair cuts, hair colours, hair treatments , different techniques etc..

With waxing its just basic knowledge you need and then practice practice to get confidence . There's one proceeder with waxing with every client there's not that much to learn about it which fits in one day course.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it boils down to the fact that no matter how dedicated and committed somebody is that has taken one day courses they are never going to be as knowledgeable as someone who is dedicated and committed and has done Nvqs. A one day course is a walk in the park compared to an nvq and while I fully admit that there are lots who do nvq and can't be bothered and are passed to make the colleges money, those who do the homework, further readings etc are very knowledgable and I feel are the real beauty therapist. I'll probably get shot down for this but it's just my feelings. Iam a person who has spent 3 years getting to Hnc level whilst one of my friends has done a one day course and thinks she can consider herself on the same level when really she has no clue!

I have to pick up on the point about waxing..there's more to it than placing a strip on someone's leg...u also need to know anatomy and physiology, contraindications, contra actions, skin type, and these are just a few. Nvq covers waxing, manicure, pedicure, facials, eye treatments, tinting, tannin fb, huge amounts of massage and use of electronics...this is more than a few days of knowledge.

I think it boils down to the fact that no matter how dedicated and committed somebody is that has taken one day courses they are never going to be as knowledgeable as someone who is dedicated and committed and has done Nvqs. A one day course is a walk in the park compared to an nvq and while I fully admit that there are lots who do nvq and can't be bothered and are passed to make the colleges money, those who do the homework, further readings etc are very knowledgable and I feel are the real beauty therapist. I'll probably get shot down for this but it's just my feelings. Iam a person who has spent 3 years getting to Hnc level whilst one of my friends has done a one day course and thinks she can consider herself on the same level when really she has no clue!

And I totally agree with this! Lol

Perfectly said Beautybyk!
It really doesn't matter how dedicated you are a few days covering a subject just isn't going give you the necessary skills and knowledge. It needs to be a combination of the required length of time needed to become proficient and dedication. Unfortunately there are plenty that will take this easy few days option then try and trivialise what we do to justify doing so but unless you have worked towards a full qualification then perhaps you just don't know how much is involved.
There are some who go and do a very short course then complete their qualifications such as the NVQ in their own time and these people have my full admiration. They are brave and clearly dedicated.

You need to be both talented, dedicated and get the required knowledge, training and skills. This applied to all professions, especially beauty.

There is a company out there who offer one day courses who also off nvq's to go with it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I didn't go to college, I did my training privately and had to do initially 6 days training. Some people on the course actually went and worked after this small amount of training and without being taught all the A&P (which I think is awful) however I decided to do the full nvq and had lots of extra practise days, followed by written assessments, exam papers and practical assessments. It's hard work not having a tutor to push you along every week and having to be strict with yourself to get the work done!

In total my course took me longer than the standard college year to get it completed because I worked at the same time - got lots of practice and got work experience in a salon for 6months.

After hearing what my local college is like I would never choose to do a beauty course there and so I don't think there is anything wrong with private courses as long as people are being assessed before they are let loose on clients! (Which is definitely not always the case!) and I definitely do not think you can learn beauty therapy in just a few days!

As a matter of interest, I'd like to ask all of you, would you be comfortable having your hair cut by someone who had done a few days course, but was passionate about cutting hair, and really enjoyed it? Be truthful.

Not a chance.
It may be scary thinking of someone unqualified being able to cut hair, but imagine not being able to easily distinguish if the person offering not just beauty treatments such as waxing, nails, facials etc... but also peels, laserlipo, electrical treatments, skin needling or electrolysis has any real qualifications to do it.

I haven't had a chance to read through all the replies so apologies if this sounds repetitive but omg this does my head in! I've seen learn reflexology in 1 month with only 1 practical session and the rest of it is home study.... Wtf? My ITEC course took me a year part time.
I'm not saying all short courses aren't worth the paper they're printed on but come on, learn to be a qualified massage therapist in a couple of weeks? The course providers need much more regulation.
I feel sorry for newbies to the industry thinking they're on a quality course... I certainly would think twice about hiring anyone who has done any of these fast pass courses

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I am a hairdresser also nvq level 3 trained/Toni and guy and wella trained. This kinda bugs me too! I do agree you can only learn so much in one day however if you are already trained to a certain extent in the chosen Industry a day can be enough to learn something new/add an extra service on to what you already offer etc. what I do agree with though is for example I trained in hair extensions with raccoon (3weeks) and then more recently with a company called belle just to learn some new methods (this was a day course) however more than half the people on the course had never done hair in there life!? So obviously needed alot more guidance than others meaning we were just left to get on with it kinda thing. I feel they should maybe do separate training so everyone can get the most of the "DAY"! Xxx

I do find it annoying. I rang a very well known supplier the other week enquiring on the cost of one of their kits (I only wanted to work out my budget), they wouldn't tell me because I am not registered with them. I can't register with them as I'm not yet "qualified" (I finish my NVQ level 2 in Beauty in July) This is fair enough, I'm not yet qualified but this company run short courses themselves and then you are qualified to buy from them :0/
I'm just a bit peeved that I have done a full NVQ course and cannot even get a quote, yet I could have done a one day wonder course and been registered and buying :0/

Last edited:
Companies make a lot of money from one day and short courses, plus of course they get a captive audience for product sales as the people who do these courses don't have enough knowledge, or the required qualifications to shop for supplies elsewhere.

Probably not a nice thing to read if you're on the 'one day courses are enough' side of the fence.
My opinion? They don't even realise they're getting fleeced for supplies. Let em all get on with it.

Latest posts

Back