15 Cert. and being 13

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyseeker

Reaction score
Should I allow my 13 year old daughter to go to see Cloverfield which is a 15 cert.?

I am not keen but her friends have all been to 15 cert. films and she has not as yet. She has seen them on TV at her friends houses, nothing I can do about that, but I am of the opinion that a 15 cert. is there for a reason, as is an 18 cert. on games, etc.

Or am I just being old-fashioned and stuffy in wanting her to be 13 until she is 14 and not 15 already, if you get me? :confused:

I know I was watching films like porkies when I was about 13/14 :eek:
I watched films with certs much older than my age..
But .....would I let my daughter ? I don't think I would
But I am a scaredy mum lol

I agree with what you said, the 15 is there for a reason. I wouldn't, but then that's just me. P'raps I'm a scaredy mum as well lol! My daughters are 8 & 10. I know some of their friends have seen stuff which is a 12, but mine won't be joining them.

Good luck, this motherhood thing isn't always easy is it :hug:

this is a difficult one i think, cos it depends on the child, my 9 yr old well he is quite immature and not 'way of the world' iykwim, so know he only watches 'u' stuff, not 12 even in the house with us, yet our 14 yr old frequently goes to watch 15 cert and has done since he was 12 (looks older than he is) he has been watching things like CSI since he was 12 and understands everything, so yes i let him watch stuff far older than his years, he has seen godfather, scarface etc when 11/12/13

but my other two are different kids , so no dont think id let them, as if they are not ready for it , i think it can scare them or give them the wrong idea of things (if that makes sense)

and i would never allow my kids to do something just because their friends all do ti (which is all you ever hear, so and so's got one, so and so's mum lets them do it) i assess every situation individually and with each child its different i think

xxxx

Nope i wouldn't either.

Other peeps do,their kids seem fine :D but it's not for me,my son will stay a child as long as i can drag it out,even if it means me being the worlds worst mum

eg > his friend is allowed on the street on his bike,he's allmost 7 Bailey's allmost 6,i just said no way and ignored the screaming :lol:

I did however refrain from telling him he would be 12 before he's allowed lol :!:

Could you not find out what the certification is for?
Sex...violence...swearing? Maybe that would sway your decision... if it is just swearing say...then lets face it...they hear that in Eastenders these days!

Over here in my dinky little town the cinema shows 'English' speaking films 3 times a week...

They don't bother with the certification whatsoever... my 10 year old has seen allsorts...:eek:
But then he doesn't bat an eyelid at anything.... mind you usually because his head is stuck into a massive bucket of popcorn or giant size bag of maltesers...

Lol my little sister is almost 21,
and she reminded me a few weeks ago, How I used to watch all the nightmare on elm street videos, and she would stay up and watch them with me....she was 7 at the time :eek:

How bad is that !
My kids would never ever EVER sleep again if i let them even see a glimpse of a freddy film lol

Its an intense (and wicked) film... it just depends on your childs maturity and what you normally allow for being ok. I dont particularly remember excessive swearing and there wasnt any nudity or sex.

Lol my little sister is almost 21,
and she reminded me a few weeks ago, How I used to watch all the nightmare on elm street videos, and she would stay up and watch them with me....she was 7 at the time :eek:

How bad is that !
My kids would never ever EVER sleep again if i let them even see a glimpse of a freddy film lol

I always watched everything too... ( probably explains a lot lol )

I also think it depends on your children....I have always stressed any film they see is make-believe unless I tell them otherwise....

I used to cry my eyes out if a horse got hurt in a film when I was little... Lassie films OMG....:cry:

So that has always been a big point of mine...to reassure them that the horses and doggies don't really die... :D

You know what...I think the scariest film ever made was The Wizard of Oz...:Scared:
That definitely shouldn't be watched by anyone under 60 years of age!

i think its a hard one also but i think finding out what the 15 cert is for is a great idea!!

i faced similar desicion last week my 2 daughters wanted to play outside on there bikes where some of the kids are as young as 5 and that for me is a no!!
but my eldest daughter is 7 but my other one is only 4 so i felt bad letting one and not the other so i said no to both but i took them to the local park and we took her friend and went on a bike ride!

perhaps iam a mega mean mommy 2:)

Its an intense (and wicked) film... it just depends on your childs maturity and what you normally allow for being ok. I dont particularly remember excessive swearing and there wasnt any nudity or sex.

so for an adult is it worth watching? ;)

crikey i watched friday the 13th when i was 5 :eek: been a horror film freak ever since :lol:
i dont let james watch em though , but he sees some stuff like buffy which is quite scary for a 5/ 6 yr old kid and it doesnt bother him
dr who gives him more nightmares :lol: but he has to watch it !! along with all the other stuff like the big poster of daleks etc.. in his room , haha

i think it depends on your child , if they are forward at 13 then let em watch it , if not then dont let em

sometimes i think letting em see some mildly creeepy stuff makes em realise froma young age that its just make beleive and not to be terrified of it
jmo :green:

I used to cry my eyes out if a horse got hurt in a film when I was little... Lassie films OMG....:cry:
lmao, what about Dumbo...when mummy rocks Dumbo in her trunk ...and the "baby of mine ..dont you ccrrryyyyy " song starts omg i got goosebumps now just typing it :eek:

lmao, what about Dumbo...when mummy rocks Dumbo in her trunk ...and the "baby of mine ..dont you ccrrryyyyy " song starts omg i got goosebumps now just typing it :eek:

And Bambi???

first film I ever did see...and I was heartbroken...:cry:

Watership Down???

those ickle wabbits....:cry:

I would rather my children watched Chucky films than them....

I remember lots of trips to the cinema with my mates, to see films we weren't officially allowed to see, and working out what year we were born just in case we were stopped and asked (no such things as I.D. cards back then!)

if she is scared of big bad monsters then dont, but its not rude and I cant remember any swearing, just blood and screaming, also the way its filmed (blair witch style) has made some of my friends feel a bit sick, not me though:lol:

I remember lots of trips to the cinema with my mates, to see films we weren't officially allowed to see, and working out what year we were born just in case we were stopped and asked (no such things as I.D. cards back then!)

Yep same here. You could smoke in cinemas then so we used to go for a crafty ciggie too.:smack:

Naughty!

so for an adult is it worth watching? ;)
Hell yes. Especially on the big screen.

Like Dee - I was weened on Horror films (I think I was about 6 or 7 when I watched Amytiville horror).

Thanks everyone I had a look at the cert. and in the US is 13A so I think I will let her go - I might take her myself in fact coz I want to see it too!

That was a good idea to look and see what the cert. is for, etc, I will do that next time.

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:​

Latest posts

Back