16 hour dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani-fique!

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some advice - surprise surprise!! :oops:

At the moment I'm signed off sick and on benefit and because of this I've been able to register with a government run company that help you get back into work.

Now.... they can provide financial support for courses and are willing to help me with the Fabric# foundation course that I'm desparate to do. But.... the problem is this..... they can help providing that its for a job that is 16 hours or more!

What they need to know is how long it will take me to work up to 16 hours a week! Now if you ask me that seems an impossible question to answer but I'm hoping that you guys can give me some idea.

My situation will be this....... I'll be working from home to start with, so if any of you can tell me your experiences and give me some sort of idea how long it would take bearing in mind I'll be fairly new at it all (but I have my VTCT in manicure)

I realise it depends on soooooo many factors but any help would be very much appreciated!!

:( Tamm

Well as a beginner say it takes you 2 hours per client. That's 8 clients per week - if they come every 2 weeks for maintenance you'll need 16 clients.
If they return 3 at 3 weekly intervals then you will need 24 clients to cover the 16 hours er week.

Now I can't tell you how long it will take you to get 16 or 24 clients - that bit is up to you. When I started I was booked solid within 3 months and no one new very much about nail services. Today there is more choice for the consumer. But this is something to work on anyway.

:D :D I had to read that a couple of times but it makes sense now!! mmmm, around 24 clients I would need. Thats supposing that I don't have any clients for my spa manicures etc. So I could work on a 16 - 24 client base.

Thanks Geeg very useful.

Just got to work out how long it will take to get that many clients....... Not an easy one to answer. Like you say that is up to me..... Its encouraging that you were fully booked after 3 months. Do you think that just offering Fabric# will still give me a good chance of building up a good client base. (obviously I will go onto L&P at some point)

Any ideas what I could say to these guys who are gonna help me with my course so that I can convince them that it won't take that long..... just a thought since you are clever with your words..... :oops:

I would love to hear all you guy's experiences of setting up and how long it took to get a decent client base and how many you had after a certain period of time etc, mobile/homebased particularly

Thanks again
Tamm :thumbsup:

I was surprised when I looked through my diary. From a standing start (after a good publicity campaign) it took only two weeks to exceed 16 hours per week.

I don't know if this is typical, if my publicity was exception or if I was just lucky!

Now I seem to be lucky if I get 16 hours sleep a week (slight exaggeration!!) ;)

I was surprised when I looked through my diary. From a standing start (after a good publicity campaign) it took only two weeks to exceed 16 hours per week.

Wow that is certainly some track record :o Are you salon based or mobile/home based? :o

Are there any more nail techs out there mobile/home based who could help me and tell me of their business start up and how many customers they had in the early days.

:D :D

Tamm

well it must be just me... but i have been going about a year and we have NO nail salon in my town or the next larger town about 14 miles away...nor any of the surrounding viallages there are a couple of techs working from home.. but as far as i know i am the only fully equipped home salon.- no parking fees etc etc., flexible hours... ive advertised in local paper, shop windows, flyers through doors of 'upmarket new estate' in town, wear uniform to tesco with diamantie I do nails badge have fspare wheel cover printed with log, hyave website.and i did a fabric conversion in august and ive done 3 sets of fabric - all who havent returned ive had quite a few nail art parties and during the summer was very busy for a couple of weeks with nail art/pedicures is this me!!!!
where do people go for their manicures/pedicures let alon nail enhancements............... how do i find out... how can i get more customers banging head against brick wall....owch did you hear that.....

im pleasent, kind, clean, always professional, wear a smart uniform
in a catch twenty two as far as getting faster/better with nails.

im on yell .com and allthingsnails... and if you type in nails in oxfordshire in the msn search bar i come up 4th in the search

what else can i possibly do.

sorry didnt mean to steal this post but there is a flip side......

oh sorry this looks really deppresssing now ive read it back and i didnt mean for that

hi ya tamm right now you have the number of cleints that you will need sorted i thought i would just let you know that if you are intending to go for say working families tax credit ect and you are self employed the number of hours you work in a week should also include things like the time it takes you to do your books, paperwork, well everything that you do that is to do with your business is all counted as time working
just a thought incase they didnt make that clear to you! ;) after all when your doing these things you are still working :!:

I am not a million miles away from you. Perhaps we could meet up some time and compare our marketing materials etc. Perhaps I am just in the right location or something.

Hopefully we can learn something from each others experiences.

Let me know if you fancy this, my salon is closed on a Monday so I'm always free then.

this is how suey and i met on the nail sites we got together one day to moan about all the things us newy techs find bugging us and i think its fair to say we are good buddies now we have such a laugh together thanks to the boards i have found myself a good mate (suey if your reading this dont you dare tell em you cant stand me :D catch ya later chickx) :D

yep we can get together that would be fab cheers

the number of hours you work in a week should also include things like the time it takes you to do your books, paperwork, well everything that you do that is to do with your business is all counted as time working

Do you know Nikki, great minds think alike! I was just thinking to myself this morning that my 16 hours would have to include all the other bits too!! Certainly makes it a bit easier! Thanks.

oh sorry this looks really deppresssing now ive read it back and i didnt mean for that

Don't worry about it Jen, I need to see all the pros and cons to get a realisitic view. I hope when you meet up with Glynis that you can figure out how to improve things.... :D

Ok... so I've got an idea how many clients I need and that I can also include paperwork etc...... but can anyone give me a rough approximation on how long it will take to get up to 16 hours a week..... I know its a stupid question! :oops: But its so I can give the people who would be funding my course an idea. I haven't got a clue myself. Would 3-6 months be a fair guess :?: :?: If anyone lives near Warwick that could offer me some advice that would be great.... They will have an idea of what the form is for this area..... :)

Actually here's another question for all guys if its not too intrusive.... How many clients do you have. Just a curiousity, and wondering what hours you all work etc.

Sorry if thats a bit like asking how much you earn so don't answer if I'm being a bit presuming!! :oops:

Tamm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back