1st Ez FLow Sculpt - Using Edge-it & Cover-it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, I took the plunge last night.

I did my first sculpt using EZ Flow Gel-it UV Gel system.
I used the 'edge-it' for a natural free edge. And the 'cover-it' for camouflage.
I have included a 'before' pic so you see what I was working with. VERY FLAT nails. She's a former biter, trying to reform as well.
You'll notice in the 'before' & 'after' pics that above the cuticle area is red. I did NOT do that. She doesn't know how she did it. She thinks her hands and skin are all red from the frequent hand washing at a recent visit to the hospital.

Ok, my troubles were this:
I tried new forms - IBD clear (that's what the dist sent me). I don't much like them.. they're fiddly compared to the black and gold rectangles I'm used to. And they kept popping open.
I had trouble with my smile line, of not getting my pink over the white.. trying to keep it from overlapping as it is full coverage gel to camouflage. Butting it up against the white was something I don't usually do.
While the gel was thicker and stiffer than what I'm used to, it was still more self-levelling than I thought. It seemed ultra stiff. Wasn't touching sidewalls or anything... then I took the hands out of the lamp and WHOOOOOOOOOOA, running every which way onto the sidewalls etc:o :irked: What a mess to sort without hurting her. I wound up filing so much, I had to refill that area (so I did a new set and a refill the same night:lol: ) because there was lift already from it having cured while touching the skin:grr:
She even said to me "you NEVER do this, you're always so careful" :o
When I had gotten to the thumbs, I had learned my lesson re: the running, and didn't have that problem again.

I got used to the 'feel' of the gel... how to move it. It moves differently from my old one. But is less prone to bubbles.. I like that:green:
I like the colour of edge-it.. but the cover-it.... too pink for me. BUT it does cover very well, and is perfect for biters. I look forward to trying blush-it.
Am thinking next time, will do my french in reverse. Pink first, then the white. That way, avoiding worring about any overlapping of pink onto the white.
Absolutely no heat spike what-so-ever. My client who is normally ultra sensitive, had no issues at all (we've tried different gels and different lamps, and usually, she suffers a heat spike).

As I normally do, when I do her nails, I have trouble with the apex because they're so flat, and I don't want it too thick there, looking out of place and silly. She's probably coming by today for a touch-up and some corrections.
And forget about a c-curve. If you look at the before and afters of the c-curve, you'll see not much has changed lol BUT please judge it all the same.

Ok, let me have it. Not much better than the other set... but I want your critiques all the same.
Thanks in advance!!

PS: this is the LONGEST sculpt I ever did :lol: I started at 7:10pm and didn't finish before 11:15pm :irked: I was POOPED lol

Attachments

• Tracey Before 2hands.JPG
    Tracey Before 2hands.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Tracey Before Barrel.JPG
    Tracey Before Barrel.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Tracey Before Side.JPG
    Tracey Before Side.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 191
  • Tracey After 1hand.JPG
    Tracey After 1hand.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Tracey After Barrel.JPG
    Tracey After Barrel.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 223
  • Tracey After side.JPG
    Tracey After side.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 377
  • Tracey After side 2.JPG
    Tracey After side 2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 311
Hi Victoria,

I'm no gel expert, but here are the things I spotted......

You have a very nice shape to them (from side on) with a nice lower arch.
The right hand middle finger (last photo) looks like the sculpt doesn't go all the way to the sidewall (if it was a tip I'd say the tip was too small!)
They are a bit hippy, but that's easily sorted!
I really like the extension of the nail bed, nice and natural and not over-done.

Overall a nice job, especially for the first time you've worked with a product!

hth's

Hi Victoria,
They are a bit hippy, but that's easily sorted!

Muchos gracias!
Thanks for the critique.

With the 'hippy' business... I find my weakness is with those that have wide flat nails like her own, with nearly no c-curve naturally.
I lined up my file with her sidewalls.. it seemed straight. Taper them more, so that they're thinner than the actual natural nail?
Or am I just not seeing it right?

Thanks again!!
:hug:

Muchos gracias!
Taper them more, so that they're thinner than the actual natural nail?
Or am I just not seeing it right?

That's what I'd do - bring them in slightly to give the illusion of being more narrow.....

Firstly well done for posting your pics, it's good to see all the before and after pics:hug:
Some of the nails don't have enough gel near the cuticle area. This could be because you were a bit worried about the gel running on to the skin?
Some appear to need a little more filing into shape and appear to be a bit inconsistent at the free edge. Did you freeze cure at all?
Apex placement needs a bit of work.
This is the best way to stop any gel running.
I usually apply a thin layer of cover it! (for example) to the entire surface of the nail, do not cure, place a medium ball of product in the centre of the nail, roll product towards the FE. Pull (don't pat) towards the cuticle and sidewalls, pull towards the FE and wipe in your smile line, then freeze cure for 15 seconds. Keep doing this switching hands until all nails have been done. Then use your Edge it and freeze cure again as above.
Did you use clear it to get the correct structure?
A good attempt for your first try, I think it's quite hard to learn to sculpt gel at first, keep posting the pics.
If you need any help please pm me mate x

Thanks Judy!

Yes, I was nervous about gel running into cuticle again. And yes, my friend is coming in an hour for me to do some corrections with the clear-it, to the overall shape.:wink2: I'll post that pic too:green:

Yes, I did freeze.
I did the edge-it first, freezing each finger. Then popped in for a full cure.
Next, a 2nd layer of edge it, done same as above.
Then I used cover-it, freezing each finger as I went along, then full cure.
BUT I think I put too much 'cover-it' at one shot. I tried to do it in one layer, as opposed to two? BIG mistake I think.. hence the running AND today, when she comes, I have a tad bit of lift to correct still :confused: :irked: all my fault, I'm sure :lol:
I will also try the reverse way of doing a french next time. Should go better. Will get on the phone later, to drum up another guinea pig LOL

I had to adjust my brush technique for the gel, as it's a different consistency than the gel that I'm used to. I was taught to do an icing technique..and to sort of tease it like with merringue on a pie to get it into place (don't know if that makes sense to you?).
So the pushing and pulling was a bit different. By the time I did the thumbs.. I felt more comfortable and was starting to get the hang of it.

I agree with all the errors you pointed out. I saw them myself :o
After 4hrs, I was bushed and just couldn't bring myself to correct the problems last night. Will fix this afternoon and hopefully, they'll look much better.

:hug: :hug:

i think they are good for a first try

well done

They look too wide also the smile lines need to be more smiley and some of the smiles start too low down the nail bed. Index finger seems to be showing some opaque colouring it may just be the photo ??. I would try and bring the product nearer to the sidewalls and I would also like to see a less blunt free-edge maybe soften the edges a little. Thanks for sharing :hug:

Victoria, well done for posting mate, I agree with all vetty and judy have said, I always had the problem of mine looking hippy as I tried too hard to taper them, run the file straight down the side walls dont try to taper into the free edge as this is what causes them to look hippy, good luck and cant wait to see the next lot.:)

Latest posts

Back