1st floor premises..disabled access?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

I've just signed the contracts for a new premises that I'm going to be working and teaching nails in.

It's a beautiful area but on the 1st floor of a converted barn. Are there any laws on disabled access? I have only just thought of this and am really worried as there isn't a lift or anything!

I can always offer tuition mobile if someone is disabled or has trouble with stairs but what do the laws say?

Sam xx

HI there. I am from the states so can't give you a accurate answer on this , but I do beleive that I read a post about this on here and some geeks in the UK said that you have to have a disabled access. I know that it is that way over here.

You said you are on the first floor? Doesn't that mean you are on ground level or is there a basement level below you?

Jayne, we call your 1st floor the ground floor, then when you walk upstairs that is the 1st floor

you have to have disability access to convene with The Disability Act which was updated I believe last year...the short of it is....wider door ways(to enable wheelchair etc access), make sure your marketing is user friendlyi.e the lingo is grass roots level so someone with a disability can understand it....access to beds etc is made easy for people with disabilities , this can mean placing a footstool on the floor so they can access it comfortably. Most of it we do already but there are quite a few premisis empty where I live as to update the changes to premisis i.e door ways would cost alot and some of the building are listed(more hassle),

If in doubt look on the DOHwebsite for info
Teresa

I think it depends on whether the business was established before the regulations came in or not. We set up a salon in December last year and had to have all the doors made extra wide and a disabled toilet fitted in as well.

In our other salon we are upstairs and there would be no room for a lift etc so we have to offer an alternative (i.e home visits) so that we cater to everyone. Check with your local council, they should be able to help.

Latest posts

Back