1st Male Facial! Please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roma Therepy

Reaction score
Hi there, just wondering if anyone can help! Doing my first male facial and need as much advice and tips as poss ! Please help :|

Don't use cotton pads on the face, the beard area will make them disintegrate, use sponges or hot towels instead. Apart from that, I use the same routine.

thanks for the advice, can i ask if you use a mask? someone told me to avoid this?

Yes I do everything else exactly the same as any other facial. Why were you told to avoid using a mask?

i have quite a few male facials and not to use cotton wool/pads is a top tip.

Apart from that i would do the same.

some have the facial massage a little deeper than you would do a woman but thats all.

just relax you will be fine and good luck:)

just the cotton wool thing. they will end up with it stuck in their stubble, and isnt really santa season anymore!! lol.

just the cotton wool thing. they will end up with it stuck in their stubble, and isnt really santa season anymore!! lol.

No, it's not an attractive look, I found that out by experience! :)

I find warm flannels or mittens are better than sponges to remove product especially if they have a beard.:hug:

Hi again, thanks for all your replys, cant remember why this friend said to leave out the mask, but do you think should just do as normal then? Face mitts good idea, got a few of them today and extra sponges. Any more ideas, please, keep em coming!:lol:

Remove products downwards with the hair growth on the beard/neck area. This is the opposite to what I would normally do with a female facial, but seems to feel nicer for men.

I have only ever done 2 male facials- but one thing I do find is it feels uncomfortable doing my facial massage over stubble- Does anyone find this ?

Hi again, thanks for all your replys, cant remember why this friend said to leave out the mask, but do you think should just do as normal then? Face mitts good idea, got a few of them today and extra sponges. Any more ideas, please, keep em coming!:lol:

They still have skin under the beard so I would still do the mask there unless it was really, really long or you're missing half the face! You can always turn the steamer on to soften the mask while you remove it as long as it is not contraindicated. The face mitts mean you can get it off easily.

I have only ever done 2 male facials- but one thing I do find is it feels uncomfortable doing my facial massage over stubble- Does anyone find this ?

I have found this with some stubble so try to do squeezing movements around the jaw line to avoid this and concentrate more around the cheeks, forehead and loads of massage around the eyes. :hug:

Oh my god! Just practised on my husband and he says feeling sensitivity around jaw area and only got as far as starting deep cleanse!! Just started doing facials and not too much demand for mobile, so using Skin Truth products just now, know its not the best, but he dosnt normally have such sensitive skin, is it his skin changing? Is it the product he's sensitive too? Or is it me? Have a male client to do tomorrow night and want to cancell now!!

Last edited:
The male client is EXACTLY the same as a female aside from the stubble. Do massage movements and remove all products in a downward, and inward motion. And yes, don't use cotton as it will catch on the stubble.

Also, if he has a hairy chest make sure you don't use too much massage cream while massaging the decloté. The excess cream will get stuck to the hair and will not rub in. If this happens just keep on effleraging until it is all rubbed in. (The first time this happened to me I FREAKED out. I thought he was going to leave with cream stuck in his chest hair! haha)

Another thing is that male clients usually are not farmilliar with skin care products and appreciate being walked through treatments. Let them know what you're doing (and using) the entire time. It makes them feel more comfortable.

Good luck! dont be nervous im sure you'll do fine!

I've had a facial regularly...fantastic...the advice you have had is excellent espec the bit about saying what you are doing cos men dont know....the girl who does mine (Sam at Healing Hands in St Albans) is fab and does just the same as for a girl. If the guy is on the ball he will have shaved extra close so dont worry about stubble but still dont use pads for reasons given!
Hope it goes well and remember that this is a potential regular customer and....men are good tippers!!
Rgrds Steve

Also, if he has a hairy chest make sure you don't use too much massage cream while massaging the decloté. The excess cream will get stuck to the hair and will not rub in. If this happens just keep on effleraging until it is all rubbed in. (The first time this happened to me I FREAKED out. I thought he was going to leave with cream stuck in his chest hair! haha)

!

If this happens again just wipe it off with whatever sponge you are using on the face! :D

Latest posts

Back