1st time leg wax, I'm sticky!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ditzy

Reaction score
I had my first leg wax today, I came away with remnants of wax in strips on my legs. I now have lines and blobs of blue, where little hairs from my jeans are stuck to my legs!

When I got home, I had a shower, but even with my shower scrub thingy, I couldn't get the wax off! She used roller wax.

1) can someone tell me what I can use to remove the wax? Will baby oil or something else do it? I'm really quite sticky!

2) did she do it right? I ask as after waxing, she put aloe vera gel on, which I thought was a soothing gel and also to remove remnants of wax, but it apparently was just the soothing gel. When I use my eyebrow waxing kit (sorry girls, it's a superdrug bought special) it has a sachet with a wipe in that is quite greasy, but removes every speck of wax left.

I just read a tutorial on here, and she didn't wash her hands in front of me, nor did she clean the area, and the rollers were already on the containers, I'm thinking I won't go there again:rolleyes:

Baby oil will do the trick! As to the other bits, if you dont feel right don't go back!

In all fairness, if there were no washing facilities in the treatment room then she should have told you she had washed her hands, or was leaving the room to do so as you were getting ready - this is what I would have done to reassure the client, and I probably would have used hand sanatizer on my return also.

One question - did she wear gloves???

As for the wax still being on your legs, it suggests poor removal technique - all the wax should be off your legs when you leave the salon.

There are removers for this, but she obviously didnt use one?:!: - But not all after wax lotions remove the residue. Baby oil should do the trick!

To a certain extent, the waxing area should be totally prepared for a clients arrival, if she was faffing about putting roller heads on the wax and cleaning the couch would not really show a professional image. Was there a cover on the couch with couch roll over it? x

In her defence rollerwax often spreads so thinly that its often difficult to see all the remnants left you have to move around and catch it glistening.
Afterwax lotions often do not remove residue unless they are oil based one of the best ones ive ever found is by gigi.
Any oil will remove your residue even sunflower oil if thats all you have.
As for wearing gloves a poll a while ago came out a third do always,a third sometimes and a third never.Im a sometimes but not on legs unless they spot.

In all fairness, if there were no washing facilities in the treatment room then she should have told you she had washed her hands, or was leaving the room to do so as you were getting ready - this is what I would have done to reassure the client, and I probably would have used hand sanatizer on my return also. She took me from the reception to the treatment room, didn't leave me even while I was removing my trousers, so there's no way she washed her hands while I was there. I went in off the street, to ask for an appointment, she was manning the reception at the time. She got someone in to do the reception and we went straight through.

One question - did she wear gloves??? How stupid am I? I didn't even notice!

As for the wax still being on your legs, it suggests poor removal technique - all the wax should be off your legs when you leave the salon. I still have hairs dotted about all over the place. TBH I'm not happy with the result, my legs aren't smooth when I run my hand up them, I thought they would be, am I wrong, should I expect there to still be hairs that I'll now have to shave? I had it done as I thought I'd not have to shave, that was the point!

There are removers for this, but she obviously didnt use one?:!: - But not all after wax lotions remove the residue. Baby oil should do the trick!

To a certain extent, the waxing area should be totally prepared for a clients arrival, if she was faffing about putting roller heads on the wax and cleaning the couch would not really show a professional image. Was there a cover on the couch with couch roll over it? xThere were towels on the couch, and she put a couch roll over it. I understand what you're saying about the area being ready though, maybe they change the rollers after each client, but I didn't get that vibe, if you know what I mean.
thanks

I think we've all had less than satisfactory experiences in salons at one time or another. I think you have two things to be unhappy about, firstly the wax remaining on your legs and secondly... HAIRS remaining on your legs!

I agree that she should have washed her hands. I always wash my hands in front of the client.
With regard to the roller heads, we don't actually know they weren't clean.

Wax residue on the legs is very common. I try really hard not to leave any wax on the legs but frankly, pretty much every time I've had my legs waxed there has been residue. It used to bother me but life's too short imo to worry about that, and now I am much more forgiving of other therapists because the job is much harder than I ever imagined.

With regard to hairs left on the legs... this is not really acceptable. You could go back on Monday and ask them to take a look and either put the job right or give you your money back?

But don't shave if you want to show them why you're unhappy! :)

If this is the first time you have had your legs waxed then your hair will still have different stages of growth, if the remaining hairs are short this could be the reason,
it usually takes 3 waxing treatments until the growth is at the same growth pattern and you will come away completely hair free,
unless she has broke the hairs rather than extracting them ?

I agree with the other geeks, baby oil should do it.
It IS difficult to remove every last trace of wax, especially using a system that spreads wax thinly (I know from experience that Phd Honey wax is virtually invisible if done properly!)

You mention that you got home and took a shower and used a scrub...weren't you advised not to do this in the aftercare? Scrubs should be avoided for at least 24 hours...

If this is the first time you have had your legs waxed then your hair will still have different stages of growth, if the remaining hairs are short this could be the reason,
it usually takes 3 waxing treatments until the growth is at the same growth pattern and you will come away completely hair free,
unless she has broke the hairs rather than extracting them ?

I totally agree wtih Louise on this one if it is the first time you have had your legs waxed.

You mention that you got home and took a shower and used a scrub...weren't you advised not to do this in the aftercare? Scrubs should be avoided for at least 24 hours...

This was my first thought too!

I don't use gloves, does that make me a poor practitioner then? TBH I've had my wax done in a load of places and never been given aftercare advice. I didn't even know there was any until i did my training!

I don't use gloves either.
You certainly shouldn't have showered afterwards, especially with a scrub.
If you're not happy go back and complain or don't go back again.

showers !!!???? scrubs???!!!! agghhhhh definitely not for 24 hours !!!!!! no highly perfumed products either .... no swimming ... and deodrant owwww don't even go there !!!!!

L x

i don't wear gloves unless i do the bikini line or underarm, as i have had people that have bled "due to thick hair etc" I also wash my hands before and after, also i always have a disinfectant gel which i use. :)
When i worked in a salon i used the rollers and was told to change them everytime the client came in "in front of them" and i did. Also chuck the used ones as soon as i had finished with my clients waxing. So automatically i now do this.
:)

showers !!!???? scrubs???!!!! agghhhhh definitely not for 24 hours !!!!!! no highly perfumed products either .... no swimming ... and deodrant owwww don't even go there !!!!!

L x

I dont advise not having a shower for 24 hours.If i wax someone in the evening i wouldn't expect them to go out next day not having washed.They should just be careful what they are using ie nothing too perfumed.

I dont advise not having a shower for 24 hours.If i wax someone in the evening i wouldn't expect them to go out next day not having washed.They should just be careful what they are using ie nothing too perfumed.
I agree, I tell them to shower in lukewarm water.
xx:hug:xx

I didn't get ANY aftercare advice at all. You would think that as I would NEVER work on anyone's nails without giving aftercare advice, I would have thought about this, but I didn't. We all live and learn.

This is one of the reasons I want to do the beauty type service (not waxing, I'm obviously not trained, I just mean the services I AM trained for), as I have had a few experiences like this, and I want to give my clients the BEST service!

This is also why I'm doing more of the training I already did, before starting my business. Even though I've trained before, it was a while ago, so I want to make sure I haven't forgotten anything, and maybe there's actually more to know now.

i don't wear gloves unless i do the bikini line or underarm, as i have had people that have bled "due to thick hair etc" I also wash my hands before and after, also i always have a disinfectant gel which i use. :)
When i worked in a salon i used the rollers and was told to change them everytime the client came in "in front of them" and i did. Also chuck the used ones as soon as i had finished with my clients waxing. So automatically i now do this.
:)

Wish you were nearer:green:

I don't use gloves, does that make me a poor practitioner then? TBH I've had my wax done in a load of places and never been given aftercare advice. I didn't even know there was any until i did my training!

I didnt mean it to make it sound like if she didnt use gloves then she was bad at her job! I very rarely use gloves for leg waxing, only bikini line and underarms.

My advice would be to go back to the salon and raise your concerns with them at least then these issues can be sorted out with the therapist and her future clients will get a better service.

We all make mistakes, I always give out an aftercare leaflet with every wax treatment and there have been times when I have forgotten to do this im sure.

If you have hair left then you need to go back and let them know, they need to be made aware of this.

Latest posts

Back