1st year on the floor, feeling discouraged

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairbaby

Reaction score
I’ve been on the floor consecutively for about 8 months now. So far things have been great, I’ve had a couple complaints and minor corrections here and there but never anything that was a huge deal. Lately I’ve been super discouraged because some of my color clients have been unhappy and come back with either myself or another stylist in the salon. Color is the only service that I’ve ever had to have fixes on and it’s very discouraging to me because it’s my favorite service to do. I absolutely love formulating, applying color and ultimately the end result of giving your client what you want. However, it’s stressful when you haven’t done what your client has wanted regardless of whether you did the best you could. Most of my fixes have been on Balayages, which is a service I think I’m good at but I am not a master by any means. I’m constantly trying to educate myself on new techniques and tips, even for consultations since that is the first step of any service. I feel as though there are many factors that play into my mistakes: not getting a second opinion, not being as thorough as I can, being booked other clients in between services. I am a total perfectionist and a hairdresser who puts so much thought and effort into everything I do, so I always backtrack and try to think about how to always make something better the next time. There are many people I work with that half ass their work and couldn’t care if a client left unsatisfied, so I am humbled to know that’s not the kind of stylist I am. It just hurts because a client will never truly know what it’s like to be behind the chair obviously, and although I am a professional, I am relatively new to this industry still and I’m not perfect by any means. Any advice or encouraging thoughts?

I’ve been on the floor consecutively for about 8 months now. So far things have been great, I’ve had a couple complaints and minor corrections here and there but never anything that was a huge deal. Lately I’ve been super discouraged because some of my color clients have been unhappy and come back with either myself or another stylist in the salon. Color is the only service that I’ve ever had to have fixes on and it’s very discouraging to me because it’s my favorite service to do. I absolutely love formulating, applying color and ultimately the end result of giving your client what you want. However, it’s stressful when you haven’t done what your client has wanted regardless of whether you did the best you could. Most of my fixes have been on Balayages, which is a service I think I’m good at but I am not a master by any means. I’m constantly trying to educate myself on new techniques and tips, even for consultations since that is the first step of any service. I feel as though there are many factors that play into my mistakes: not getting a second opinion, not being as thorough as I can, being booked other clients in between services. I am a total perfectionist and a hairdresser who puts so much thought and effort into everything I do, so I always backtrack and try to think about how to always make something better the next time. There are many people I work with that half ass their work and couldn’t care if a client left unsatisfied, so I am humbled to know that’s not the kind of stylist I am. It just hurts because a client will never truly know what it’s like to be behind the chair obviously, and although I am a professional, I am relatively new to this industry still and I’m not perfect by any means. Any advice or encouraging thoughts?
Hey, don't be so hard on yourself and don't take it personally.

You've got the right attitude, these things are gonna get better with time, however you are always gonna think.... hmm that could have gone better every now and then. That doesnt go away when you're a perfectionist.

You never stop learning [emoji4][emoji4]

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself and don't take it personally.

You've got the right attitude, these things are gonna get better with time, however you are always gonna think.... hmm that could have gone better every now and then. That doesnt go away when you're a perfectionist.

You never stop learning [emoji4][emoji4]

Hairdresser 20 year and I still get ‘tweaks’

Separate tweaks and complaints and then your will feel less hard on yourself

Hairdresser 20 year and I still get ‘tweaks’

Separate tweaks and complaints and then your will feel less hard on yourself
Great advice,

It's so hard for us because we work with people we feel rubbish if someone isn't happy with their hair when we first start, because we want everyone to be ecstatic with there hair.

It's taken me 8 years to learn the difference [emoji23][emoji23]

Latest posts

Back