SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doolly

Reaction score
Hi, years ago (25 years ago!) I had a lovely hair cut at Vidal Sassoon's by a young man who left shortly after never to be found again. Unfortunately I could never get someone to cut this style again! Every time I described it the stylist looked puzzled. It looks like a two layer hair cut, a very simple and blunt cut, no thinning or slicing. I have since had to be happy with a generic sort of layered haircut. Now, because of Covid I have allowed my hair (and layers) to grow long. So now I would like to try again to find someone to do it. I am really trying to avoid someone who will cut 'standard' and messy layers again. I remember that the original stylist lifted the top layer of my hair really carefully in a sort of pony tail making a shaped parting with the comb all around my head. He pinned it up while he cut the lower layer of my hair bluntly ( or sharply!?) first. Then I don't remember what he did with the tied up top layer exactly, but it turned out like one smaller plate on top of a larger plate. My hair is fairly fine and naturally has some bounce in it so it looked thick and smart to me. Am I talking rubbish or is this a non standard haircut? I found an image on google images that looks generally like what I want. I am in the photos with the long hair and have marked where I think I would like it cut. Thanks in advance for your advice.

IMG_3832.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3831.jpg
    IMG_3831.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3829.jpg
    IMG_3829.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 109
I think maybe you would like disconnected layers, so you almost have the longer ones then a shorter one with no blend in between. I could be wrong but maybe see how your stylist can interpret disconnected layers lol

I trained at Sassoon and I’m sorry but there’s no such thing as a two layers haircut. :)
The pony tail you describe is probably a horseshoe shaped section covering the crown.

What your desired pic is showing is A line long layers on the bottom few inches of hair. you just have to be clear to the hairdresser that they mustn’t start cutting too high up the head.

I think maybe you would like disconnected layers, so you almost have the longer ones then a shorter one with no blend in between. I could be wrong but maybe see how your stylist can interpret disconnected layers lol
Yes, disconnected is the word. I think originally after cutting the bottom section he clipped it out of the way before letting go the ponytail and cutting the top section.

Yes, disconnected is the word. I think originally after cutting the bottom section he clipped it out of the way before letting go the ponytail and cutting the top section. Would that work?

I trained at Sassoon and I’m sorry but there’s no such thing as a two layers haircut. :)
The pony tail you describe is probably a horseshoe shaped section covering the crown.

What your desired pic is showing is A line long layers on the bottom few inches of hair. you just have to be clear to the hairdresser that they mustn’t start cutting too high up the head.
Thanks, maybe he trained elsewhere before Sassoon’s or had his own ideas. I did go back to Sassoons after but a senior stylist didn’t get it, and then actually cut my hair wonky ! I had to go back when friends pointed it out. Oh well 😔 Disconnected layers seems to be what I had. Would you attempt that? If not, why not?

But the picture you have sent doesn’t look anything like a disconnected hair cut.....🤔

But the picture you have sent doesn’t look anything like a disconnected hair cut.....🤔
Have you got one? Its the closest I could find.

A disconnected haircut is where a section is left much longer than the surrounding sections so that it doesn’t blend in but gives definition and sits proud of the shorter sections. It gives the hairstyle more movement and sometimes more texture and offers the client more styling options, especially with shorter hairstyles.

In the picture attached, the top section is disconnected and blow dried forwards and to her right. She could also dry the top section backwards and using the right products, create a high quiff at the front. Strategic colour placement on a disconnected hairstyle can emphasise the disconnection even more.

Attachments

• 61845AA6-66E3-4340-A9D8-A54AAA76E118.jpeg
    61845AA6-66E3-4340-A9D8-A54AAA76E118.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 37
Yes, disconnected is the word. I think originally after cutting the bottom section he clipped it out of the way before letting go the ponytail and cutting the top section.

I’m wondering if he cut layers into the bottom couple of inches and then sectioned the bottom off, dropped the top section and cut a blunt line and then layers in the last couple of inches of the top section so that there are two distinct lines in the hair.

I’m wondering if he cut layers into the bottom couple of inches and then sectioned the bottom off, dropped the top section and cut a blunt line and then layers in the last couple of inches of the top section so that there are two distinct lines in the hair.
But why!!!😆
Sorry - but the description that Doolly gives does not make sense - its not something I ‘get’ after 40 years in hairdressing 🤣
The picture for inspiration is a long layered hair cut - nothing more nothing less!
The ‘2 layered’ description however means to me what you have shown - a disconnected shortie.....
The only other time I’ve disconnected a more conventional style is sometimes we’d remove the underneath of a bob to make the finish look even more blunt🥴

Its called a step haircut.. you have the perimeter then depending on how short you want the step to be then it sits above the perimeter Usually 1-2inches ..The layer is blunt and doesnt blend .. With a Long layered cut the layers lay just above each other with no gaps and blend Nicely..Make sure you say you only want a two step otherwise you can end up with lots of steps ontop of each other and becareful not to go too short on top or youll end up with a mullett .. pic of internet

Attachments

• A5847C13-1E6F-4CB1-8C56-8A35E136E54E.jpeg
    A5847C13-1E6F-4CB1-8C56-8A35E136E54E.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Its called a step haircut.. you have the perimeter then depending on how short you want the step to be then it sits above the perimeter Usually 1-2inches ..The layer is blunt and doesnt blend .. With a Long layered cut the layers lay just above each other with no gaps and blend Nicely..Make sure you say you only want a two step otherwise you can end up with lots of steps ontop of each other and becareful not to go too short on top or youll end up with a mullett .. pic of internet
Ahhh! Thank you! That’s it. What’s the process for cutting this style - in a nutshell?

I’m still not getting it ..... 🥴
Any tutorials you can recommend showing this method?

When I was training there was this hair cut where shoulder length hair was pulled out in vertical sections around and cut not angled around the head but straight down 90 degrees to say the floor or parallel to a wall everything was over directed to this line which was even around the head. The top was blended minimally maybe an inch of rounding and some heavy (often uneven ) shaping around the face .This looked like two layers and was the classic 90s blowed under flicked out hair , sometimes with a zig zag parting and a little bit of height on the crown .Not the 3 layer christmas tree cut which is much sought after !

Ahhh! Thank you! That’s it. What’s the process for cutting this style - in a nutshell?
Basically cut all perimeter to length then section horseshoe from temple to temple comb whole section straight up together ..Bring down whole section to check where you want layer to be then Comb all together straight up again Into the middle @ 90degree and cut.. your only layering the Horseshoe so you will have a Big gap between length And where layer starts..You can always goback and do Some face framing After..hope that makes sense

I had hoped for a video 😆
Just read it - but I’m a visual learner🤣🤣🤣
Oh im sorry ..so am i .. ill see if i can find a video of what it is 😊

Hi
I know this was query was posted a while ago but thought I’d mention incase you are still searching lol
I worked with Toni & guy around that time and we did a haircut like this. Section was taken from temple to crown like an exaggerated fringe section. Dropped down then freehand sliced in to blend if needed. This is the Toni & guy collection pic from zero zero collection in 2000. Obvs this one is shorter section than you probably had but it Can be cut at varying lengths to suit. You just need a hairdresser who can think outside the box a little, with a little bit experience and confidence to add their own personal touch and make it their own. It’s that detail that will make you love your haircut not just getting a hairdresser to copy of a pic. Hope this helps x

Attachments

• A3FFF61A-D98E-4834-807F-05A2E70BB0EE.jpeg
    A3FFF61A-D98E-4834-807F-05A2E70BB0EE.jpeg
    711.9 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back