2 salons due to open up, opposite my shop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all, just after some advice really.

To all of you thick skinned salon owners out there. How do you deal with new salons opening up practically next to you?

When I looked at my salon I chose it based on my research of the area. I knew I was offering something new and exciting. The salons in the area have been open a good 20 odd years so I thought a new kid on the block would be ok and we all get on fine. ....it seems I was right until now

There's someone new moving in opposite me and she's offering exactly the same services, prices, standard ( I even trained at the same salon as her [emoji22])
....my boyfriend is so laid back & doesn't really 'get' our industry and just says "don't worry babe"

I know I cannot control the street & who moves in but if you can pp please advise me on how you deal with these things, i want to get over this anxiety that I will be put out of business and be out of a job in a year please x

There's really only one thing you can do.... Carry on and give the best service you can

That’s an interesting move by the new salon: to open right opposite you, with the same services and prices. With no differentiation in offering.

Beckybee is right. Carry on. Your current Clients must be with you for more than just location? If they wanted to go elsewhere, I’m sure they would have done already. If the new salon isn’t competing on price or what they offer, there’s not a lot of incentive for them to leave you, if you keep your service levels up.

As for winning new clients, that’s where the new competition might affect you. Maybe introduce a referral incentive for existing clients who recommend you?

Undoubtably a few clients might want to try her out. After all, we all like to try something new from time to time and a few clients happily swap hairdressers as often as the seasons change, regardless of how good you are.

Presumably, your clients went somewhere else before coming to you?

If you always treat your clients well and give them your full attention, you’ll be fine. Once you start taking them for granted, not doing a proper consultation when they sit in the chair but just getting them straight to the basin to be shampooed etc., that’s when they start looking elsewhere.

I’ve had the same situation myself. I’m situated in a small village and another salon opened a stones throw away. Luckily for me it wasn’t the same street so not quite as close as your situation. I was a little apprehensive but as already stated all you can do is offer the same great service and give your clients no reason to leave. Clients will stray out of curiosity but it feels so good when they return with their tails between their legs and hopefully they realise what great service you were offering originally. I actually held an olive branch out to the new salon really as she offered treatments I didn’t offer and vice versa. I sent clients her way and she did the same for me, at least there’s no bitchiness and we help each other out where we can. Don’t get into a pricing war between each other as it will effectively just push you both out of business. It is hard not to worry though so I feel your stress x

Every other shop is nails, hair or beauty....the service industry has taken over the high street, it's just the way it is.
Do not be surprised it has happened to you...it's happening EVERYWHERE! :oops:

Retail is dead in the water, and folk think cutting hair/painting nails, is a licence to print money - an easy gig - so the world and his wife will 'give it a go....':p

Be the best...
Resist getting caught up in a price slashing war - no one ever wins that game.:(
Offer good service, top end products....and always a happy smiley face! :D

I've just opened opposite a salon, 2 doors down is a salon.....over the road does beauty.....etc.....
This is nothing new....
I've re-located my business, so have bought a decent size clientele with me, not after 'pinching' their clients!
I also believe I offer something different to the existing salons....
I can however understand how they might have felt when realising it was to be 'another salon'.

Offer something a little different to your competition, and I am sure you will all learn to rub along.;)

I stick by this, hope it helps!

Attachments

• 23284CF9-7047-40AC-9492-CA19F00865C9.jpeg
    23284CF9-7047-40AC-9492-CA19F00865C9.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Back