3 different shades of highlights in coloured hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nad1a

Reaction score
This might seem a silly question but I'm fresh out of my level 2 hair course and have always been told "TINT WILL NOT LIFT TINT"
So I'm going to lighten/colour my clients hair to a 7 base then weave in 3 different shades of blonde/caramel highlights.
However if tint will not lift tint I will need to bleach in the highlights and then tone them but if I'm wanting 3 dif shades It wouldn't be possible?
So could the 3 dif shades of highlights only be done on natural or hair that is already as light as the highlights I'm putting in?

Does anyone know what I mean? Any help appreciated thanx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379675760.077857.jpg

Some high lift tints will lift a shade or two on coloured hair. You could use bleach with different levels of peroxide aswell. Just do some test pieces x

Wellas magma do blondes that lift through colour x

What colour is there hair now? X

Use a high lift tint it's easier. Xx

Thanks, never thought of using the dif peroxides but that makes sense. I've never used magma before so don't think I want to mess about with products I'm not sure of :O
It's a level 5 just now, wella colour touch 5/74 I think :s

I did a client the other day with highlights & she usually has a majirel 8.0 root flood. This time she wanted to go slightly darker so wanted a 7.0 I did the highlights then just root flooded & took through to mid length & ends . Would you find it easier doing that??

Not sure what you mean by root flooded?

Yes what I mean is would you find it easier to do all the foils then go in between foils & put the 7 tint on that way rather that colouring the whole head first then having to lift the colour out with bleach & re colouring the highlights. It would be less damaging to the hair .

Is there already colour on the hair?

Yes, it would be easy enough if there wasn't colour on the hair as I would just use 3 dif tints to highlight but as there is colour on it the tints wouldn't lift

You'll have to do a 10 vol high light and a 20 vol highlight and hope the 10 vol lifts to a soft blonde and the 20 lifts to a light, clean- tone-able blonde.
You can't do 3 diff coloured highlights without using a high lift tiny and hope for the best- remember if you use a high lift +30vol in a foil the roots of the foil will be very yellowy

I didn't see that you wrote that there was already colour on the hair in your first post.

Latest posts

Back