3G Portable Modems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marlise

Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you may know, I'm looking for a laptop so that I can get connected to the outside world. I think I've finally managed to find a laptop, but now need to sort out an internet connection.

As I don't have a landline, I've been looking at the 3G cards / USB modems you can get.

The three that I'm aware of is Vodafone, 3G and Orange.

I've been getting mixed reviews on them and was wondering if any of you use this method for connecting to the web and what you thought of it.

Marlise

Hi Marlise, a friend of mine has recently purchased a portable 3G modem, he has a landline but wanted broadband, unfortunately he lives out in the back of beyond and there is no broadband service there at the moment.

How is it? He's delighted with it, its much faster than a landline, and it works just about anywhere, perfect for someone on the move with a laptop. I'm sure he paid about €130 (£97) for it and now pays a monthly charge of €20 (£15), which seems pretty reasonable.

Just be advised though that its not as fast as broadband received via a landline. Hope this is of some help.

I've got a 3 one, £10 per month for 1GB downloads.

Worst mistake I ever made as now I have t'internet at the salon and I'll never get my down time jobs done!

Hi Marlise, a friend of mine has recently purchased a portable 3G modem, he has a landline but wanted broadband, unfortunately he lives out in the back of beyond and there is no broadband service there at the moment.

How is it? He's delighted with it, its much faster than a landline, and it works just about anywhere, perfect for someone on the move with a laptop. I'm sure he paid about €130 (£97) for it and now pays a monthly charge of €20 (£15), which seems pretty reasonable.

Just be advised though that its not as fast as broadband received via a landline. Hope this is of some help.

Hi Seanny,

Was hoping you might respond.

There are different deals and download allowances depending on lenght of contract etc. At the moment, Vodafone sounds like the best deal at £25 p/m, unlimited download in the UK and a £49 one off charge for modem if you only take a 12 month contract.

3G is cheaper per month, but you are limited on your download allowances and the modem is expensive if you don't sign up for 18 months.

Haven't researched Orange that well yet, but monthly it's £30.

I've got a 3 one, £10 per month for 1GB downloads.

Worst mistake I ever made as now I have t'internet at the salon and I'll never get my down time jobs done!

Hi Cathie,

How do you find the speed ? Can you always connect etc. ? Any issues ? Do you run Vista or XP on your lappie ?

I've been told that 3G is not compatable with Vista and is causing major problems .....

M.

It runs fine, I'd say it's as fast as my broadband, no glitches so far and I'm runnung Vista.

It runs fine, I'd say it's as fast as my broadband, no glitches so far and I'm runnung Vista.

Interesting. How much surf time to do you get for 1GB on 3G ?

I don't know, only had it a few days so far but my home broadband is 1GB per month and I've never gone over it.

I guess it would depend if you're downloading music and movies and stuff which I don't.

I don't know, only had it a few days so far but my home broadband is 1GB per month and I've never gone over it.

I guess it would depend if you're downloading music and movies and stuff which I don't.

Hi,

No, my intention is to only use it to surf the web and email. I'm not into downloading anything :lol:

Thanks for you replies, helps a lot :hug:

M.

Hi

We've got the 3G one too and must say it's very good. We got it at the beginning of this month and paid £99 for it and spent £25 to get roughly 7hrs internet a day (depending on if you're downloading etc) which I rarely do and so far so good. It's really quite quick considering and apparently early this year, I think they said, it'll be getting a boost so your internet is even quicker.
I like it like this as you don't have a contract and know how much you're spending.

The only trouble we had was getting it started as we weren't told that you have to keep re-loading the software as each time you loaded it it added more stuff on, maybe we were just being a bit dim (which is highly likely!).
Hth's

Just check the 3G areas. birmingham seems pretty rubbish for it!! My phone has 3G, but it hardly ever works!! youd be pretty annoyed if you got it but couldnt get 3G reception at home!

Just check the 3G areas. birmingham seems pretty rubbish for it!! My phone has 3G, but it hardly ever works!! youd be pretty annoyed if you got it but couldnt get 3G reception at home!

I'd agree. You need to check out the reception. Don't just use the map they have on-line.

I've got really good reception at home (west coast) but when I'm on the east coast the reception is so patchy, even where it says it is really good. I am lucky to get through a call without it dropping out, and that's after trying for ages to actually get a connection.

Get a friend who has the carrier you are planning to use to go to all the locations you think you will use the modem to try out the reception.

Marion x

Whatever you do, dont get pay-as-you-go...mine worked out at £2/mb :smack:

Tbh, i only used it to check emails on my laptop because i was wary of how much i was using. If i was going to spend a long time on the internet i used the pc...with its really slow dial up connection.

Latest posts

Back