5 day beauty therapy course!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywoo

Reaction score
I have recently discovered that there is a college just outside London that offers a 5 day NVQ beauty therapy course for each level and it is accredited by the VTCT, I've looked on their website. I recently interviewed a candidate who attended this college and I was horrified to discover how they are practising. How is this even allowed to happen? Am I being completely naïve or is this "college" bending the rules rather drastically. The VTCT state that there is a minimum of 540 guided learning hours required for accreditation yet this place seems to offer level three with only 35 hours of teaching. How is this possible? I'm utterly disgusted at the ethics and bad practise.

I did SVQ, I'm assuming they're the same level? No way I could've learnt that all in 5 days [emoji44][emoji44]

I have to say there are some pretty awful training colleges out there. Phone them and ask - or contact VTCT. I've always found them very helpful. I know there are some that literally show you once and send you off to practice. 'Evidence' is based on photographs x

Thanks for your replies. I've called the VTCT and they don't understand how they are able to provide 540 teaching hours in 1 week. I'm just flabbergasted that someone can get away with this!

Unfortunately this seems to be happening more widespread nowdays. Students finish their training with incomplete skills which is unfair on the student, any future employer and also potential clients.

Even allowing for the theory to be taught as a distance learning component, assuming the students are being awarded certs after just 5 days of practical training, it calls into question the reliability of VTCT's course approval and external examining procedures.

Personally, I think you should put in a complaint in writing (email is fine) to: [email protected]
and let them know that you will be following it up with a complaint to the regulator (Ofqual) if you are unhappy with their response.

I suspect VTCT are grossly underfunded and operating with too few staff to ensure rigorous checking of standards, but unless something is done, that won't help those particular students and their potential employers.

It is possible that the course follows the following format:

*5 days of delivery
*Go home to work with the theory provided on the course as well as practice treatments
*Return to training centre for theory exams and assessments where you only pass if they consider that you're ready, otherwise more delivery is provided.

I'm not saying that the above is a good way to train. I'm saying that I doubt a certificate would be given to a student after just five days delivery for nvq2 beauty therapy. There just wouldn't be enough time to cover the full range.

I'm afraid even their website clearly states the structure. Learning form 10 until 4, online exam 4 until 6. Dinner time Friday, you're a beauty therapist! (the last bit is my sarcasm not their website!).

I'm afraid even their website clearly states the structure. Learning form 10 until 4, online exam 4 until 6. Dinner time Friday, you're a beauty therapist! (the last bit is my sarcasm not their website!).

Who are they? I'm fascinated!

I wouldn't want to be indiscreet to anyone in particular, but I'm sure if you put in something to Google like "5 day fast track beauty therapy," who knows what you might find!.

Latest posts

Back