75%/100% grey hair to a very light blonde! Highlights?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liannerose1

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with colouring grey hair blonde! I have a new client who is 100% grey at the front and 50/75% grey at the back! She likes to be a level 9/10 with no warmth! I was going to use a 99/0 with 20% and highlights?! Any advice would be great!

I don't have much experience with colouring grey hair blonde! I have a new client who is 100% grey at the front and 50/75% grey at the back! She likes to be a level 9/10 with no warmth! I was going to use a 99/0 with 20% and highlights?! Any advice would be great!
That's exactely how I colour my clients with similar description of grey percentage and their requirements.
I have found trying any lighter than a level 9 will not deposit the tone. Depending on the colour ho7se you are using. The 99/0 or 9/00 are great for the intense grey/white coverage. 20% peroxide is perfect as well.
On my clients I foil the bleach with weaves highlights and then the level 9 is a root tint.
From below crown there are less white hairs so does develop a darker shade and can be slightly warmer. But running more highlights helps the blend.

That's exactely how I colour my clients with similar description of grey percentage and their requirements.
I have found trying any lighter than a level 9 will not deposit the tone. Depending on the colour ho7se you are using. The 99/0 or 9/00 are great for the intense grey/white coverage. 20% peroxide is perfect as well.
On my clients I foil the bleach with weaves highlights and then the level 9

Depending on how dark her base is 99/0 could go quite warm on the areas that aren't 100% white. Maybe think about using your double base round the front and changing it up (depending on the clients natural base colour) towards the back. if you are using a bleach highlight try starting from the back as this will take longer to lift. Hope this helps :)

Thank you for your reply, that's a great help! Do you use the 99/0 (tint) as a paint between or weaved foils? I'm hoping the back doesn't come out too warm!

Depending on how dark her base is 99/0 could go quite warm on the areas that aren't 100% white. Maybe think about using your double base round the front and changing it up (depending on the clients natural base colour) towards the back. if you are using a bleach highlight try starting from the back as this will take longer to lift. Hope this helps :)
Yes I always start at the back with my highlights! Her natural base colour is a 5 so quite dark really! Would you use a 9/1 or 9/16 to tone?

Thank you for your reply, that's a great help! Do you use the 99/0 (tint) as a paint between or weaved foils? I'm hoping the back doesn't come out too warm!
I use as a full tint around the foils.
With one clients who has pretty much 100% white on top and 75% below crown theres slight warmth but she has thick hair and a bob so it's hidden so I highlight through it say on every 3rd appointment. The issues I can have is if the timings are not spit on and the bleach highlights are left to go too white there can be a slight discolouring as no warm tones in the 99/0. But this is rare.
Another client who has alot more dark hair at least 50% it does go very warm but again thick hair, long layers so she us aware of this but we do not highlight. The 99/0 (wella) on the top gives a natural looking highlight effect.

I use as a full tint around the foils.
With one clients who has pretty much 100% white on top and 75% below crown theres slight warmth but she has thick hair and a bob so it's hidden so I highlight through it say on every 3rd appointment. The issues I can have is if the timings are not spit on and the bleach highlights are left to go too white there can be a slight discolouring as no warm tones in the 99/0. But this is rare.
Another client who has alot more dark hair at least 50% it does go very warm but again thick hair, long layers so she us aware of this but we do not highlight. The 99/0 (wella) on the top gives a natural looking highlight effect.
Thank you for your reply, it really helps!
I would say she's a base level 5 on her roots, from just below the crown downwards. I am worried about how warm it will turn out but I'm hoping the highlights with help! Her hair is below shoulder length and quite thick! Would you just use bleach with 20vol?

Latest posts

Back