9/11 where were you ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in New York in April and visited the Tribute WTC visitor center. It was very moving. It's hard to believe the towers are no longer there and hard to comprehend that this happened.
Along with the hundreds who lost their lives, there are thousands more who will be mentally scarred forever and my heart goes out to them all.

I was home with my son who was battling strep throat. I got a phone call from my mom telling me to turn on the TV, that a plane had just hit one of the twin towers. I sat in bed with my sick 10 year old son and we watched the horror unfold. When the second plane hit the second tower, I grabbed my son and held him tight. Even at 10 years old, he knew this wasn't a tragic coincidence. I sat there rocking, holding him, crying as the towers collapsed. He slept in the bed with his dad and me for two weeks before the nightmares subsided. My nightmares lasted longer.

I was alone at home getting ready for school. My mom called and told me to turn on CNN because a plane had hit a building in NYC. My dad is a small plane pilot and that's what I thought happened.

I went to my job as a crossing guard before school and that's all we talked about. When I was in class, we listened to the radio all day. My mom told me when I got home that her coworkers brother was in one of the towers. It took a few days to find out that he hadn't made it out before they collapsed.

I remember watching TV that night and crying with my mom. I'll always remember that.

But the thing that I remember most vividly, is seeing the cover of the newspaper and the entire front page was a picture of a man falling through the sky who had jumped from the burning second tower. Still gives me chills and makes my eyes tear up.

But the thing that I remember most vividly, is seeing the cover of the newspaper and the entire front page was a picture of a man falling through the sky who had jumped from the burning second tower. Still gives me chills and makes my eyes tear up.

I ran cold just reading that, that picture has never left my mind. I remember watching on the news wondering what was falling off the towers, not just one, quite a few. The suddenly realization of what I was watching falling, I dont have words...............terrible.

When the first tower started to shimmer, its the only word I have, shimmer, and my friend couldnt fathom what she was seeing and I remember looking at the screen and saying its going to fall. A day that changed everything.

I was at school when it happened, I remember being in English and the teacher putting on the TV when it came over the tannoy that there had been a tragedy in New York. We all sat the silenced by what was happening, then the second plane hit as we watched. My goodness did we all cry, the girls and guys alike, the school was a mess. I'll never forget that day. I can't believe it will have been 10 years ago next week. Just shocking :(

I was at hospital I had been induced! And was hooked up to a monitor having contractions and waiting for my little girl to come,
Saw it on tv . Labour stopped I discharged my self and went home , and. Prity much refused to go back lol .... She finally came sep 30th ....

I'd been at work and I heard about it on the radio when I was driving home. I could not believe it. I had a final appointment to go to and when I got there I asked if people had heard what had happened and a woman said, "Yes, but life goes on, doesn't it". Apparently I stared at her in disbelief.

I quite like Dark Angel but Jessica Alba stole that from me... :)

Lol she stole it from me too, my email starts d666a999. Think I was in English when the news came through.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I was at home. I don't remember much about the day except what was happening on the News. I didn't go to work. I felt so sick when I was seeing what was happening.
My mum called, asked if I was at home? was I watching the News? She asked if she could sit with me. We aren't close, but we sat next to each other, held hands and sobbed over the devastation. Sob now when I think about that day. For those hurt. A terrible day.

I ran cold just reading that, that picture has never left my mind. I remember watching on the news wondering what was falling off the towers, not just one, quite a few. The suddenly realization of what I was watching falling, I dont have words...............terrible.

That imagine has been a source of my nightmares for the last 10 years. I remember what time I saw it, where I was, what I ate at the restaurant where I saw it. Truly, the most horrifying thing I think an 11 year old girl can see. Still makes me cry. Ugh.

I was at work, we had a tv in our department for the financial news as I worked in financial services at the time and someone came in from their lunch saying put the tv on something odd is happening...... We sat in a huddle watching it live, the second plane hitting is a sight I will never forget.

About an hour before it happened I had found out I was pregnant with my daughter - I spent the next few days thinking I'm having another baby but the world has gone mad.....

It truly was, and still is, a defining day in my life and I cannot believe it was 10 years ago.

Side note: I ended up seeing a guy when I was 17 who had been three blocks away from the WTC's in a hotel when it happened and he was really messed up from it. Severe PTSD. I felt so bad for him. He was one of those who was running through the streets from those dust clouds you see from the footage. He was like 15 at the time.

I had just stepped into office in Island Marine living in Florida. Its because of 911 we had to leave Florida as they would not renew visa's.

I was at home watching tv when a newsflash came on, at that point only one plane had hit.

It is definately one of those things that you never forget where you were, and I hope it is something that never happens again.

The two that make me most emotional are 9/11 and the indian ocean tsunami. sheer devestation.

I was in Paris on holiday, heavily pregnant, having a snooze in hotel room. Woke up and switched tv on and saw whole horrific thing unfolding. Could only understand bits of it (coverage in French obviously) and couldnt really make out if it was real or some kind of movie.
Truly unbelievable.

Was on the way to Malaga airport, Spain, when it was reported on the radio. did not know if we would be flying back to Britain:eek:. As it was the Spanish just carried on as normal.

Hubby and my Father were fine but my Mother was having kittens as does not like flying at the best of time, she would have kissed Old Blighty if l would have let here when we landed.

It was only when we got home that it fully sunk in what had happened and the tragic loss of life.

I was at home with my now husband. We had the TV on and were both speechless watching the footage unfold. The phone rang and it was his ex wife who was livingin Ohio at the time - she was hysterical as her new husband was supposed to be on one of the flights but had been involved in a minor car accident on his way to the airport and had missed his plane. My husband's son had been on a school trip to the towers a couple of days prior to 9/11 also.

I can't watch the programs about it, even reading here an thinking about it brings tears to my eyes - never in my life do I wish to watch something as horrifying as the news that day, it was and always will be burned into my memory watching that 2nd plane go into the tower and seeing all of those people so depserate that they jumped from the windows :(

I had just come home from school and my big brother asked if I had seen the plane crash in New York, We hadn't been told anything at school, I switched on the news and watched the coverage all day, in shock, crying.

10 years on it still makes my blood run cold and even thinking of it now, those poor terrified desperate people, in the towers, on the flights, on the ground... I can't even put it into words.

I find it really hard to watch the footage and the countless programmes full of conspiracy theories. I also had nightmares about the falling man.

A dark day in our time, God bless all affected.

Reading this has really given me goosebumps :-(
I was 9, I remember being at school, our headteacher came round to each class room, classes joined together and we all just watched the news, although being so young,we all understood what had happened, everyone was in shock, that night we sat up til late watching it and Im not sure we even ate dinner.

I cry at every programme, every news clip or paper that mentions it, we went to ground zero 2 years after, it was just silent, we didn't take photos, no one spoke to each other but we were there for ages and we all left with a horrible feeling in our stomach and tears in our eyes!
I can't imagine what families went through that day, its devestating.
On this ten year anniversary of 9/11, I have my nieces christening, we weren't going to have it this day, but so many lives were lost that day, we will be celebrating a new one, and most certainly raise a glass and have a few minutes silence for everyone who lost their lives or lost a loved one on that tragic day. Will be a mixture of emotions!

Kayleigh x

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Latest posts

Back