9/11 where were you ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had just arrived home from our honeymoon in the Maldives having stopped over for a few hours in the Middle East. We felt so lucky. I worked for a subsidiary of Mellon Bank and we spent anxious hours waiting for news of our WTC office....

I think that may have been the one day (in most recent history) when the world literally just stopped. It was the only thing anyone talked about, all forms of travel in North America stopped, there were police with huge guns everywhere. My mom went to San Fransisco a month after, and she said literally there were Marines with AK-47's every 10 feet. And they had a shoot to kill order, similar to the one they had in the UK during the bombings.

Security in the airports in the US is tighter than Fort Knox. I remember going through the Houston airport, and seriously being scared. We had just come from South America and they were all over us. I'd rather have that though, than have it happen again.

I was at home when the first plane hit the tower I can even remember they had cancelled neighbours and we watched the second plane hit. I had friends here and to be honest we didnt think it was real. We didnt think anyone would actually be able to just fly a plane in to the towers. I then had to walk to pick up my daughter from school and as i got home my friend who had been at my house watching then rang me to say the first tower had collapsed. I can still remember this day so clearly Same with the London bombings.

I was working in the North Staffs Royal Infirmary , Stoke -on -Trent, in theatre and we all ran into the coffe room as my boss said the 2nd plane hit, i will never forget it, and some years later i replayed in my mind as i went to New York for a trip with my new partner:)

I was at home with my daughter who was 11 months, it's my birthday on that day, not something you feel you can celebrate on 9/11. Watched it all happen, horrific, truly horrific x

At that time I was working for an insurance broker in the finance industry - I can recall our boss seeing the dreadful news on the internet - at that time it was being reported as a plane crash.
Then the 2nd plane hit and within minutes we were informed by our colleagues in Canary Wharf, London (office tower blocks) that they were being evacuated as they were under high alert of a terrorist attack - I can remember being very, very frightened.
Strangely enough it was also that day that we had Sky installed at home - so it was even more intense to see the news on so many channels.
Dreadful, dreadful day - RIP all the innocent people and condolences to their families and friends x

I dreamt last night I was in a tower trying to get to top but lift was a nuisance, every floor had a danger and I remember pressing 17 and 19. Weird, eh? Never been to US, TT no longer stand, yet I was there in my dream... Maybe this thread was in my subconscious. X

I worked for the bbc at the time in scheduling. Got hauled out of a planning meeting and straight into making it up as we went along planning. Didn't actually sit down and watch much coverage until late that evening. Going home through central london was the most surreal experience.

I was at work when the guy behind me was on the internet, we thought it was movie, then the second tower got hit. A girl from my sisters work had been there the day before!

I had a couple of American clients last week at the hotel and they are going there for the anniversary. Have to admit I think of all those people who will be there and hope to god that nothing happens.

Annie

I was at home with my daughter on that day. She had just celebrated her 20th birthday. We just couldn't believe it was happening. We just sat on the sofa with tears running down our cheeks. My thoughts are with the families and friends if all those who suffered on that day, and to those who are still suffering. May you find some peace x

Sent from my GT-S5570 using SalonGeek

I was with my dad in hospital; we saw the news on the TV in the ward lounge next door as we were passing through. It was a very sad time for us as my dad died later that night :(

:cry:This was a sad day for me, I worked for the USNavy in the london HQ and we went into complete shutdown, high alert, shutters going down, our building was then surrounded in what seemed 5mins with big concrete slabs so noone could get near the place. Navy police came out of nowhere with guns etc, It was proper scary and then to top it off when they hit the pentagon I was put on emergency call for the families husbands that were in their and had to track them down - sadly I lost 2men in the pentagon and the day will always sit very heavy in my heart. So I find it very emotional watching all the tv programmes about the day. Its so sad and I will always remember those I lost.. and their families .

I was with my dad in hospital; we saw the news on the TV in the ward lounge next door as we were passing through. It was a very sad time for us as my dad died later that night :(

Hugs Ruth, it must always bring back your loss every year to , :( xxx

Will never forget that day, ever.

We were due to fly to Florida 2 days later on the 11th September and on that day it happened I was in the middle of packing and ironing. My Gran rang me and said omg, the twin towers have blown up and told me to put the news on. I then watched the rest of the days events unfold, totally shocked and stunned. Still makes my cry even now. :cry:

Latest posts

Back